PDA

View Full Version : How much clay do I really need per bar?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I usually am prone to using clay bars as I like them better than nano skin. However, Is there a certain amount of clay to cut off each time to use less? I feel like I use alot per car and clay well, does not grow on trees

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2015, 04:12 PM
What are you asking, for a way to use less clay? Is that what you mean?

I try to use as small a piece as possible, but I have heard of people cutting theirs in half, thirds, quarters. Obviously some of it depends on the size of the bar.

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
What are you asking, for a way to use less clay? Is that what you mean?

I try to use as small a piece as possible, but I have heard of people cutting theirs in half, thirds, quarters. Obviously some of it depends on the size of the bar.

yea. Sorry confused myself too haha. I usually have a 120g bar I think

Coopers ST
12-10-2015, 04:21 PM
I cut sections off mine. I kneed it up, if I feel it is too small a piece I cut a bit more off and kneed it in. I use as small a piece in case I drop it, I don't want to waste a big section.

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 04:22 PM
I cut sections off mine. I kneed it up, if I feel it is too small a piece I cut a bit more off and kneed it in. I use as small a piece in case I drop it, I don't want to waste a big section.

Maybe Ill have to try like a pencil thickness? Also will want to buy a dull knife to cut it

Coopers ST
12-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I have clay magic bars, I cut about 2 pencil thickness off. Nothing exact, just some. You can always add more.

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 04:45 PM
I have clay magic bars, I cut about 2 pencil thickness off. Nothing exact, just some. You can always add more.

Where do you buy yours from?

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Where do you buy yours from?

Um...might I suggest...Autogeek?

Auto Detailing Clay Bar, Clay Bar Lubricant, Overspray Clay, professional detailing clay, car care, car clay, remove bugs, detailing products, (http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html)

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Um...might I suggest...Autogeek?

Auto Detailing Clay Bar, Clay Bar Lubricant, Overspray Clay, professional detailing clay, car care, car clay, remove bugs, detailing products, (http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html)

I meant clay magic

EzyBrzy
12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Divided my bar into 1/3's. Probably could have done 1/4's since my car is small. Picked up the nanoskin sponges though, will see how it compares.

Bill1234
12-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Divided my bar into 1/3's. Probably could have done 1/4's since my car is small. Picked up the nanoskin sponges though, will see how it compares.

I like nanoskin for its price and ease of use. However, I dont know if I am actually picking up stuff or swirling my paint?

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
I meant clay magic

Oh, sorry Bill.

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2015, 05:14 PM
I like nanoskin for its price and ease of use. However, I dont know if I am actually picking up stuff or swirling my paint?

Some of the clay substitutes have light-colored surfaces, that may help you.

I really thought (conventional) clay prices would plummet when the patents ran out, but that hasn't seemed to have happened.

EzyBrzy
12-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Yes, I am worried that it is not as efficient as regular clay, but only real hands on experience will give me an answer.

Eldorado2k
12-10-2015, 05:40 PM

You're picking up stuff, but not at the level that you're used to with clay. Nano clay towels/pads shave down [for lack of a better word] the contaminants until you're left with a level smooth surface. At least that's what I last heard..

Clay on the other hand picks up and removes the contaminants.

I finally got to try my Nano Skin Handy Towel [fine/med grade] on a white colored vehicle last week. As you know white tends to be an ideal color to test on as any contaminants are easily visable and you're either removing them or not.

I noticed that while using the towel, some contaminants such as the tiny black specs that look like blackheads and any minor etching and tree sap were being left behind/not fully removed and required alot more pressure than the directions on the Nano Towel recommend. I had to practically rub the towel back and forth slowly using moderate pressure until the most stubborn spots were finally completely removed. Hard enough to make most people who won't even use the Med. Grade towel cringe, that's for sure.

The bottom line: clay still does a more thorough job of fully removing the contaminants on the surface while not having to get overly aggressive and therefore leaving less risk of marring the paint.

You can get fairly aggressive on spot removal with clay and still feel safe. You may be able to do the same with the Nanoskin rubber, but it feels a heck of alot more abusive while doing so.

Just my 2 cents..