PDA

View Full Version : Tear in leather seat help

ViperGuy21
12-09-2015, 01:22 PM
I have a friend who has a small tear(couple of inches) in the middle of his leather driver seat. Car is an Acura TL(not sure what year, but probably somewhere around '09)
He asked me if I knew how to fix it, I didn't, so I said I would come ask the massive pool of knowledge that is AGO for some assistance. I figured he will either have to take it to an upholster(recommendations for DFW?)or I can try and do it with a leather repair kit. Does anyone have experience with these types of kits, and if so how well do they work(ease of use, final outcome, etc...)

FUNX650
12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
To repair a small tear in a black
leather seat, I used this kit:
3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit, 3M 08579, repair leather tear, repair vinyl seats, leather repair (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-leather-vinyl-kit.html)

I'm here to tell you that I'll probably never be
an upholsterer; and, that I discovered the true
meaning behind the saying: "Patience is a virtue..."

However...

The repair was still holding true
When the vehicle was sold.
But if the truth be told:
That was probably due,
To it being held by 3M's glue.

Bob

ViperGuy21
12-09-2015, 03:33 PM
To repair a small tear in a black
leather seat, I used this kit:
3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit, 3M 08579, repair leather tear, repair vinyl seats, leather repair (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-leather-vinyl-kit.html)

I'm here to tell you that I'll probably never be
an upholsterer; and, that I discovered the true
meaning behind the saying: "Patience is a virtue..."

However...

The repair was still holding true
When the vehicle was sold.
But if the truth be told:
That was probably due,
To it being held by 3M's glue.

Bob

How was the ease of use outside of the fact that it took a long time? Was it real finicky?

Nice rhymes!

JamMaster Jay
12-09-2015, 03:38 PM
I've never sewed leather seats before but for my last business I used a speedy stitcher for repairing 18oz. vinyl tears. Worked great for me and as said earlier - patience is the key. Google speedy stitcher and there's numerous YouTube vids on proper usage. Good luck!