PDA

View Full Version : detail how to

Pages : [1] 2

texasbrown1954
09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm new to the whole detailing thing I have a silver 00 audi a4 i bought new I've never waxed it so I went out and bought the mothers clay bar system about a week ago and used the supplied cleaner wax, it looks really good, but what would you guys recommend for me to do, to really bring out and help the paint. Thanks Jason

dontsleeponit
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
If you would like to jump in head first, like alot of people do once they see how they're car can look, your going to want to purchase a polisher kit like the Porter Cable kits or the UDM Kits. You have plenty of reading and forum browsing to do if this is what you want to do, but the outcome will be excellent with a little work.

If you want to keep it simple and do what you can by hand, check out the Klasse polish products, or Duragloss polish (theres others too). You made a good move with the claying, im sure it needed it if it was the first time. Follow this up with the polish (machine or hand) of choice. And then you want to protect with your choice of either sealant or wax. Sealants are more durable and can look great, waxes have excellent looks but are less durable, but like anything products are different and they all have their own characteristics, you must read around alot to choose whats right for you.

And then theres cleaners for wheels, polishes for metal, dressings for trim and plastic, the list goes on and on.

Its a pretty broad question you ask, but everything you need to know about maintaining your car is at your fingertips on this forum.

Good luck and welcome.

budman3
09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the site...

Your question has an unlimited amount of answers ...

This is a basic process you should keep in mind.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Protect (wax or sealant ... or both)

I'll keep this all AG so here are a few links that'll help out a little more. Other than these thinks, keep reading and searcing on these forums and after a few hours you'll get a better understanding on what you need to do. Good luck.

Detailing Facts and Tips: How-to Guides from the Car Care Experts at AutoGeek - how to polish, how to wax, how to clean (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

Download free detailing handbook guides and how-to videos! (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-detailing-resource-center.html)

Truls
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
As budman3 say....

I like the Duragloss line as cleaner, protection and gloss (DG 101, 105, 111) Looks great on silver too, and are easy stuff if you do it by hand..

As paint correction, the Audis got pretty hard paint, so i would look into the Menzerna line (106FF) and you will need a PC or UDM to get it flawless..
But if thats not a issue, i would go for the Duragloss line, but whatever yull get from Autogeek its 99,9% good stuff nomatter what you get..

Jimmie
09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Like Budman says, you have a lot of options. Personally I would change the cleaner wax. If for no other reason than the cleaner waxes tend to stain trim pieces white.
One of my favorite recommendations for doing by hand is the Mother's 3 step (with paste wax).Mothers Ultimate Wax System includes Mothers California Gold Carnauba Waxes, Sealer Glaze & Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner. (http://www.autogeek.net/motulwaxsys.html) . Especially since you already clayed. Beware, use it once and you'll be hooked.

Reddwarf
09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here that lend great advice. You already got some good advice in this thread. There is nothing wrong starting out with Meguiar's or Mother's products. As you gain experience and practice you can try out the many great boutique products offered by AG.

Where is Texas are you?

texasbrown1954
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses, as in where in Texas, my screen name comes from the paint color texasbrown that was used on vw bugs from late 53 to early 55. I have a 54 that one day will be painted texasbrown.

ScottB
09-27-2007, 08:04 PM
go to the pinnacle page and watch the video, it will help step by step.

supercharged
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm new to the whole detailing thing I have a silver 00 audi a4 i bought new I've never waxed it so I went out and bought the mothers clay bar system about a week ago and used the supplied cleaner wax, it looks really good, but what would you guys recommend for me to do, to really bring out and help the paint. Thanks Jason
you can also learn a lot from here - Detailing Facts and Tips: How-to Guides from the Car Care Experts at AutoGeek - how to polish, how to wax, how to clean (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

6LS2
09-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Silver? This guy needs MaxWax or Liquid Souveran! :)

Reddwarf
09-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses, as in where in Texas, my screen name comes from the paint color texasbrown that was used on vw bugs from late 53 to early 55. I have a 54 that one day will be painted texasbrown.

Nice bit of trivia there! Is it a dark or light brown?

texasbrown1954
09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
its a dark brown, so since i clayed the car already I have a buddy that does paint work he said he can polish the car with a buffer so I was thinking of using the duragloss system and top it off with sig series 2 does that sound good or polish then go with the wolfgang sealant than sis series 2 and if i go that route which polish

Rsurfer
09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
its a dark brown, so since i clayed the car already I have a buddy that does paint work he said he can polish the car with a buffer so I was thinking of using the duragloss system and top it off with sig series 2 does that sound good or polish then go with the wolfgang sealant than sis series 2 and if i go that route which polishI would go with the menzerna 106 with a white polishing pad. Does your friend have a rotary or da polisher?

texasbrown1954
09-28-2007, 12:21 AM
all i know its a big dewalt

Rsurfer
09-28-2007, 12:29 AM
all i know its a big dewaltMust be a rotary, hope he knows what he is doing. Go and look at his car before he touches yours.