PDA

View Full Version : How has detailing helped you outside of your professional life?

Busy mind
12-07-2015, 07:30 PM
For me, learning to detail cars the proper way has taught me to have more patience and pay attention to the fine print when using new products.
Like many others, this form of art can be an outlet. It's become a way to handle road blocks and my personal life is becoming a little more organized.

My communication skills are growing as well as the business side of decision making with my other full time job.
It has broadened my thinking in general and has made me better at planning.

Just curious how others have improved or changed.

GSKR
12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
I was working at a Mercedes Benz porche and Infiniti dealer for 9 years.prior to that I worked at every detail shop and learned a lot ,but all those years I was working in a sweatshop never had to sell anything and no customer interaction it was like I was segregated .so in 2002 moved to fla ,and started my company so I had to learn about selling ,customer service and social interaction with customers took like a year before I was confident to just be able to make a sale.

WAXOFF
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM
I think being a detailer makes you much more aware of your surroundings and makes you look at what's going on in the world with more scrutiny and since I'm A CCW holder then you are always in code yellow at least especially when you are around cars. Always looking for the flaws. If more people in this country would be aware of whats going on we could head off all these nut case terrorists easier.

parshooter
12-08-2015, 09:43 AM
After placing many orders here, because of reading too many threads on too many products, I've learned not to take the first advice I get and do more research. I've also learned to figure out all the products I'll need for a specific job and order them at the same time. I've had a bad habit of not thinking of all the components of a job, and I've had to make numerous trips to Lowe's, or make mutliple orders here, to get what I needed. I've always thought of myself as super organized, but this is one area where I wasn't. But am now, I hope.

2black1s
12-08-2015, 01:07 PM
My attention-to-detail which started at a very early age when I used to build model cars and such. Then as a young teenager I built home made go-carts and mini-bikes. Later in my teens I started painting cars and motorcycles and would machine polish and hand-rub acrylic lacquer finishes to near perfection. In my twenties I pursued a race car driving career. All of these experiences heightened my attention for details.

Anyways, I believe that attention-to detail is important in all facets of life and detailing is no exception. I'd even go as far as to say that one's attention-to-detail is one of the most influential characteristics, along with general knowledge and experience, that separates the best detailers from the run-of-the-mill detailers. I also believe this to be true in any other profession as well.

So... How has detailing helped me? Sometimes I wonder! It has certainly intensified my attention-to-detail which then carries over to other parts of life. The question is - Is that good or bad? On one hand, it has surely made many of the people I know think that I'm a little nuts. On the other, it was instrumental in my successful career in the aerospace engineering field without having a formal degree of any kind. I guess it's a little of both.

dlc95
12-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Yep.

Follow through.

With drums, I can interpret the music a bit until I can master it.

Can't do that polishing paint!

Paint polishing was the only other "thing" that I did, that was as enjoyable as drumming. The early days in the 90's, and even today kind of take me different places as I discover, learn and grow. It's addictive.

Busy mind
12-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Bump

JamMaster Jay
12-15-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm am very new to the detailing scene. I've built, managed & sold three business' to date. My family and my time spent in the military have taught me to be a very disciplined and organized individual. I ask a lot of questions and read/absorb as much as I can in life and in business. I've always enjoyed cleaning cars - my dad and I used to wash our vehicles every Sunday as a kid. It was one of my fondest memories of him. Even in the winter back home in Kentucky we would build fires in the cast iron stove in our basement. Pulling out the car wash supplies and just have a good time cleaning while the firewood crackled in the background. That sole memory gave me my inspiration to start this business.
After selling my last business I've spent over a year trying to decide what to start next. Working for another company part time has also motivated me to go back to work for myself. I have better ideas and operating procedures but the companies don't care. It's okay I can work for myself and be much more satisfied.
I guess what I'm getting at is owning my own business is so self gratifying that sometimes it takes working for someone else to realize just that. Detailing, even though I'm still doing it at home for two more weeks, has given me an opportunity to run a business and my life how I see fit. Not on someone else's time, or ideas, but mine. In my opinion it makes me a stronger, more well rounded and powerful man. What do you do for a living? - I work for me!

haris300
12-15-2015, 02:53 AM
The other day I spilled a glass of coke all over the carpet in my bedroom but got it all out in like 5 minutes.

Dan Tran
12-15-2015, 07:04 AM
I work for a well known natural food store (for now till I can take off with my business) and we get third party compliance audits. I used to freak out and hate cleaning up the cooler at a drop of a hat. Now I don't see cleaning as a challenge anymore and I blast through the task in minutes.

Same goes for home!

My anxious is less now when I see a sink full of dishes for example.

If I can tackle a thorough interior detailing with scrubbing and shampooing, everything else almond me seems like a walk in the park all of the sudden.

Patience in learning to trouble shoot problems... Like the first time tackling on a different kind of detailing job but you learned new tricks to get through things..

Learning more efficiently..list goes on.

This topic showed me it is possible to write an essay..😜