PDA

View Full Version : wheel hub and caliper cleaning

PJL
12-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Hello everyone, new participant to the forum and new owner of a 2011 Z4. I have notice that the caliper and wheels hubs have some staining/corrosion that I would like to remove and I am looking for some suggestions. Happy to pull the wheel(s) but ideally I would like to leave the caliper on and not get to deep into pulling parts off the car.

thanks everyone

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline.

Your better off pulling the wheels to clean those areas. This way you have unobtrusive access to those areas. Pulling the wheels will also allow you to get behind the spokes of the wheels as well.

swanicyouth
12-07-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm going to be woefully embarrassed if I am wrong, but I believe those pieces are full steel painted silver. Only 100% fix is to repaint. Clean and scrub with Iron X followed by Brake Kleen first.

The rotors on my older E85 M are composite - iron rotors with aluminum hats.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/07/dc5da07dd12820d039381c05d7268931.jpg

Paul A.
12-07-2015, 09:09 AM
If you are willing to pull the wheels off you can try a good scrubbing and with some good brushes. At least you can go from there to determine if repainting them is what you want. I pull mine off twice a year however the key for me has been washing them as good as i can every weekly wash when i do the wheels, tires and wells. I don't feel it necessary to remove parts...i just clean everything i can see (i.e. caliper) with a few good brushes and some full strength APC and a thorough flush and blow dry when i pull the wheels. And a good Iron X but masking off my rotors.

PJL
12-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks / Danke Schoen for getting back so fast with the suggestions. I just put the car up for the winter and this will be a great project. I appreciate the input.

Have a great week.