PDA

View Full Version : White residue on wheels after using Backfire CS

Pages : [1] 2

DapperStyle
12-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Today I washed and clayed my wheels following up with Backfire Crystal Seal. Everything was fine but after I parked up tonight I saw this residue on my wheels. Please don't expand the photos they are ginormous and I could not resize them.

http://i.imgur.com/kAEuNIL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VD9nde7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3ZrKHJa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9FvO44U.jpg

All pics were taken after trying to use a waterless wash and a thick nap MF towel. I can scratch it off with my fingernail.

Things that I tried that did not work:
1. Quick Detailer
2. Waterless wash
3. Eco Touch Wheel cleaner

Thoughts?

GSKR
12-06-2015, 10:31 PM
There are some variables did you apply it to a hot or warm wheel,maybe it was way to cold to apply or you got product in lug nuts and you took off down the road and the product was trapped and flew all over the rim.Is this on all 4 wheels or just 1 .If you have access to a pressure washer and a strong undiluted apc I would blast" it off.This may be your second option get some nail polish remover without acetone and see if it will come off.Third option compound with hand with a terry cloth or a sock inside out.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bella-Salon/848083961905021?ref=page_internal&sk=photos_stream#

DapperStyle
12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
There are some variables did you apply it to a hot or warm wheel,maybe it was way to cold to apply or you got product in lug nuts and you took off down the road and the product was trapped and flew all over the rim.Is this on all 4 wheels or just 1 .If you have access to a pressure washer and a strong undiluted apc I would blast" it off.This may be your second option get some nail polish remover without acetone and see if it will come off.Third option compound with hand with a terry cloth or a sock inside out.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bella-Salon/848083961905021?ref=page_internal&sk=photos_stream#

This was done on a cold wheel outdoors. All 4 wheels exhibit this. I will try some APC later when I get home, like I said I can take it off with my fingernail and it did not leave any marks behind when I did so. I also have Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner which I will probably use and try all over next weekend in regards to sealing them.

Also autocorrect will be the death of me, turning Blackfire into Backfire.

GSKR
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Get some purple power apc from any auto store,spray on 1 wheel at a time and use hot or boiling water and work in with a stiff toothbrush.I would skip the sealer till spring and just use collinite wax.

DapperStyle
12-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Quick update. Tried a test spot with Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner and after a minute or so of dwelling I agitated it a bit with a toothbrush and follow up with WG Rinseless in Waterless dilution. Significant improvement but some test spots still needed me to scrape off the residue with my finger.

Still confused as to what this is and how it happened. I tried some clay as well and it did nothing. APC diluted for exterior use didn't work at all either. The only thing I can think is some Aerospace 303 got on my wheels and mixed with the sealant and that's what this residue is. Can't hit the whole wheel properly with WG UWC until Saturday so I will try that then.

GSKR
12-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Quick update. Tried a test spot with Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner and after a minute or so of dwelling I agitated it a bit with a toothbrush and follow up with WG Rinseless in Waterless dilution. Significant improvement but some test spots still needed me to scrape off the residue with my finger.

Still confused as to what this is and how it happened. I tried some clay as well and it did nothing. APC diluted for exterior use didn't work at all either. The only thing I can think is some Aerospace 303 got on my wheels and mixed with the sealant and that's what this residue is. Can't hit the whole wheel properly with WG UWC until Saturday so I will try that then.

You need a strong apc ,that Wolfgang stuff is probably dummy down a bit.Hot water and strong apc should work with a stiff brush

DapperStyle
12-07-2015, 11:35 PM
You need a strong apc ,that Wolfgang stuff is probably dummy down a bit.Hot water and strong apc should work with a stiff brush

I've got CG All Clean+ what dilution would be best? 5:1? I currently use it 10:1 for exterior use.

GSKR
12-08-2015, 06:27 AM
I've got CG All Clean+ what dilution would be best? 5:1? I currently use it 10:1 for exterior use.

I would try it straight undiluted.hot water is the key to breaking that down along with the apc.

DapperStyle
12-08-2015, 11:50 AM
The wheels are OEM MB wheels that are clearcoated, will that be an issue using CG All Clean straight on it?

dcjredline
12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
What did you use initially to clean them? It looks to me like the cleaner you used dried on the wheel. Polish will usually help that out.

DapperStyle
12-08-2015, 12:53 PM
What did you use initially to clean them? It looks to me like the cleaner you used dried on the wheel. Polish will usually help that out.

After using DP Tire Cleaner and hosing off, I followed up with Ecotouch wheel cleaner and Rinseless wash. After that I clayed the wheels, dried them and used Blackfire Crystal Seal. Everything was fine after using the sealant, no white chalky residue. Then I dressed the wheels with Aero 303 on an applicator (not spraying on the tires) it was when I returned later on that I saw the residue.

I've got FG400, 2500, 4000 and various foam hand applicators, not sure which would be appropriate.

zmcgovern45
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
I've got FG400, 2500, 4000 and various foam hand applicators, not sure which would be appropriate.

Golden Rule of Polishing: Always start with the least aggressive method.

DapperStyle
12-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Golden Rule of Polishing: Always start with the least aggressive method.

SF4000 on a white foam CCS hand applicator it is. I'm going to try some stronger ratio APC (All Clean+) first then if it comes off I'll hand polish regardless and try to seal again. I only have Blackfire CS, Wet Diamond Polymer Spray and Megs Ulimate Liquid Wax as far as waxes go to use on wheels, maybe Crystal Seal just is not meant for wheels. :dunno:

Also from some of my pictures I see it might be hard to tell whats the residue and whats reflecting from the flash. I've highlighted it here to make it easier for others:

http://i.imgur.com/dv1SB8i.jpg

Eldorado2k
12-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Situations like this is when having Megs Wheel Brightener comes in handy. I'd start and probably be able to end it with that @4:1

GSKR
12-08-2015, 03:23 PM
The wheels are OEM MB wheels that are clearcoated, will that be an issue using CG All Clean straight on it?

No just as a precaution apply on a cold rim.I never bought or used any cguy stuff,I'm pretty sure it's not that strong undiluted.Try a small section on rim with warm or hot water and a tooth brush.