PDA

View Full Version : Just got on

marenvis
09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Hello

Well i just jointed the group ........gonna look around and see what's best for my 2007 Jag XKR. One question i have already is what really causes the dreaded swirls. Not really happening yet or if it is i think its minor and confined to the multiple coats of wax I have on the beast already. Is it washing by bachine ( i suspect that the dealer does this as I do not).

Anyway will look around and see what I can find out

Cooter
09-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Welcome!
Improper washing techniques will give you swirls. I wouldnt let the dealership touch it.

Tonya
09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Welcome!

Pauly6401
09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
You'll find the cure for those swirls here, for sure.

The cause is basically any method of improper washing, drying, or application of stuff - usually caused by dirty or rough towels, rags, sponges, etc. They will always show up eventually, but you can minimize them and drastically reduce how many you get/how fast they accumulate by washing your car right and keeping the paint protected by wax and/or sealants.

marenvis
10-07-2007, 01:47 PM
so I think i have it narrowed down to the dealers complimentary machine wash........i think i just take the jag home dirty from now on

Truls
10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Machine washing, or bad washing techniques is the most common reason for making those swirls..

-Dont us machine washers
-Ditch the sponge
-presoak with foam and HP-wash the car before washing it with a mitt/ShMitt
-Always use fresh, new and clean water when washing
-Dont ever never touch the car with ANYTHING when its dirty (exept when washing that is)

Oh, and welcome to AGol...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Oddly enough, people trying to take care of their vehicles but doing so improperly is what causes swirls/marring/scratches!!

Proof in these pics where the owner wiped a birdbomb off the car with a dirty towel

Before
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/jdp0845/Scratches1.jpg

After:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/jdp0845/Scratches2.jpg

Improper washing, not having the paint clean before drying, not having the car clean before waxing, improper claying all can cause damage.

There is a ton of information on this site, you will be well prepared...do some searches..try some products, learn the basics and ask questions when you can't fins stuff through using search... people here help!

Welcome

scottgt
10-07-2007, 03:01 PM
welcome....you will find this site alot of help

alban61
10-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Welcome to AG!