PDA

View Full Version : First Semi Detail. Questions.

Pages : [1] 2

willyray18
12-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Hello,

I was contacted by an owner-operator asking to have my winter protection package performed to his Peterbilt 379. It will be wash, clayed, sealant applied, wheels and tires washed, tires dressed, exterior trim dressed, interior vacuum, steam dash, dress dash, seats steamed and sealed, door jambs cleaned.

He also wants his exhaust stacks polished. I was considering Flitz with a powerball. Would this be a good idea?

Also, what should I be on the lookout for when detailing a semi as this will be a first for me?

Thanks,
Will

Rsurfer
12-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Good luck Will. Just the chrome/stainless on that puppy will take some time.

willyray18
12-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Good luck Will. Just the chrome/stainless on that puppy will take some time.

How long do you think it will take? I'm just doing the exhaust pipes.

Rsurfer
12-05-2015, 08:20 PM
How long do you think it will take? I'm just doing the exhaust pipes.

DI was contacted by an owner-operator asking to have my winter protection package performed to his Peterbilt 379. It will be wash, clayed, sealant applied, wheels and tires washed, tires dressed, exterior trim dressed, interior vacuum, steam dash, dress dash, seats steamed and sealed, door jambs cleaned.

Did you not say you were doing the above?:confused:

Mantilgh
12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
^ I think he's saying the only thing he is polishing is the stacks.

I just googled "Autogeek semi truck" and came up with a bunch.

This one had some good info

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/54219-first-semi-truck-detail-help.html

And another that I have asked questions in.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/88981-semi-transport-truck-pointers.html

Not sure on price but I would say close to double you would charge for a car. Just saw a site online that starts around $400 for interior/exterior packages.

GSKR
12-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Figure 1hr 30 min each.If you have any kind of polisher besides a power ball you may shave the 30 minutes.If I would do that I would clean them first with stoner and fine steel wool,has to be fine 0000 on the packaging and no it won't scratch.Wipe them down with stoners,then use steelwool to remove anything stuck to them then polish with flitz.

Rsurfer
12-05-2015, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=Mantilgh;1323166]^ I think he's saying the only thing he is polishing is the stacks.

Not in his original post.

Mantilgh
12-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Sorry. I do that sometimes too, edit after I post.

A lot of work on those big trucks. I would say charge extra for the polishing too.

willyray18
12-05-2015, 08:48 PM
It was in the original post lol. By Stoners, do you mean Tarminator? And I have a Harbor Freight Polisher. What type of pad should I use to polish the stacks.

Also, what would you guys charge for this job? I already priced him but I want to hear what everyone says before I reveal my price. It will be me and an employee doing the job.

willyray18
12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
^ I think he's saying the only thing he is polishing is the stacks.

I just googled "Autogeek semi truck" and came up with a bunch.

This one had some good info

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/54219-first-semi-truck-detail-help.html

And another that I have asked questions in.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/88981-semi-transport-truck-pointers.html

Not sure on price but I would say close to double you would charge for a car. Just saw a site online that starts around $400 for interior/exterior packages.

Just saw where you posted what you found online. I told him $385 with stacks.

Boejoula
12-05-2015, 08:59 PM
I would charge $50 per man hour. But that's based on my location and what we charge at my job. Definitely would steel wool the stacks first. Power ball would probably be good for the wheels. And if I'm not mistaken, hood on that is fiberglass. I would try some fiberglass products on that if what you are using on the rest doesn't cut it. I have done a few of these trucks. They are a PITA but they look awesome when they are done. I will try to find a picture of one.

Mantilgh
12-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Just saw where you posted what you found online. I told him $385 with stacks.

That was me editing after. :)

GSKR
12-05-2015, 09:05 PM
It was in the original post lol. By Stoners, do you mean Tarminator? And I have a Harbor Freight Polisher. What type of pad should I use to polish the stacks.

Also, what would you guys charge for this job? I already priced him but I want to hear what everyone says before I reveal my price. It will be me and an employee doing the job.

Stoners glass cleaner but you can use tarminator.frankly I would just do it by hand and skip the machine,it's not like your polishing billet.

Boejoula
12-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Here it is..

GSKR
12-05-2015, 09:42 PM
At 385.00 it will be profitable for 2 guys to knock it out in 8 hrs.anything over 8hrs your reducing your hourly pay.I would try to do it by yourself more money in your pocket.