PDA

View Full Version : Question about HD Speed

emmjay
12-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Hey guys,

I have a bottle of HD speed coming in soon that I picked up during Black friday and I have a few questions.

1. I've read posts which state to leave HD speed on the car after buffing and complete the whole car before wiping off, as it leaves more protection behind. Yay or Nay

2. Does the "protection" left behind cause pad cleaning issues? Do the pads come out new like they did say when I used M205 on the last car I detailed.

I have pads that I used menzerna powerlock on and those are still caked with wax after various attempts of washing. I only have 6 white hybrid pads and DO NOT plan on buying more so this is a big concern for me. I do not want my pads to be "unclean" and lose their cutting ability due to the protection ingredients in Speed.

3. Does HD Speed require pad priming and cleaning on the fly techniques like I do with M205?

** I use a flex 3401 with the Hybrid line of 5" pads.

FrankS
12-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Hey guys,

I have a bottle of HD speed coming in soon that I picked up during Black friday and I have a few questions.

1. I've read posts which state to leave HD speed on the car after buffing and complete the whole car before wiping off, as it leaves more protection behind. Yay or Nay

2. Does the "protection" left behind cause pad cleaning issues? Do the pads come out new like they did say when I used M205 on the last car I detailed.

I have pads that I used menzerna powerlock on and those are still caked with wax after various attempts of washing. I only have 6 white hybrid pads and DO NOT plan on buying more so this is a big concern for me. I do not want my pads to be "unclean" and lose their cutting ability due to the protection ingredients in Speed.

3. Does HD Speed require pad priming and cleaning on the fly techniques like I do with M205?

** I use a flex 3401 with the Hybrid line of 5" pads.

1) I've heard this also and sounds like a good idea. I've left it on after doing several panels and then wiped it off, wipe off was easy.

2) I clean the pads the best I can using a pad cleaner or APC and then dedicate those pads for an AIO product (like HD Speed) in the future. I use LC CCS pads that I've had for a while for this.

3) Not sure about pad priming but you should keep your pads clean (on the fly) for better results.

M205 is considered water soluble, so it can be cleaned easier than an AIO which is normally water insoluble since it has a form of wax or sealant.

emmjay
12-05-2015, 12:43 PM
1) I've heard this also and sounds like a good idea. I've left it on after doing several panels and then wiped it off, wipe off was easy.

2) I clean the pads the best I can using a pad cleaner or APC and then dedicate those pads for an AIO product (like HD Speed) in the future. I use LC CCS pads that I've had for a while for this.

3) Not sure about pad priming but you should keep your pads clean (on the fly) for better results.

M205 is considered water soluble, so it can be cleaned easier than an AIO which is normally water insoluble since it has a form of wax or sealant.

Thanks for the answer Frank. I shall delegate those pads to AIO use, and probably wont use more than 3 for that reason alone.

:)

As for APC to pre soak the pad before washing - I have the meguairs APC, what dilution would you suggest as I have heard of this method but don't want to go trying something that could possibly ruin the pads.

On another note, is there any way to "mark" pads or towels to know which ones are for what purpose? Can get a little confusing as all pads/towels are stored together due to lack of space.

Thanks again

FrankS
12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the answer Frank. I shall delegate those pads to AIO use, and probably wont use more than 3 for that reason alone.

:)

As for APC to pre soak the pad before washing - I have the meguairs APC, what dilution would you suggest as I have heard of this method but don't want to go trying something that could possibly ruin the pads.

On another note, is there any way to "mark" pads or towels to know which ones are for what purpose? Can get a little confusing as all pads/towels are stored together due to lack of space.

Thanks again

When I use an APC or pad cleaner, I just spray it into the pad and work it in by hand or use a nylon pad cleaning brush and rinse it thoroughly with water.

I've used Meg's APC+ diluted 1:4 with no problems, but I don't let them soak in the APC, just use the method described above.

As far as "marking" the pads, I know that my CCS pads are dedicated for that purpose only or you can put them in a plastic zip lock bag.

emmjay
12-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Perfect, that answers everything! Thank you :dblthumb2:

custmsprty
12-05-2015, 04:29 PM
No on the pad priming and a little goes along way.

For cleaning pads, my preferred method for all my pads regardless of what product I use is to throw them in my front loading washing machine on long cycle with hot water. I pre-treat them with XMT Pad Cleaner.

emmjay
12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks for that. I currently have DP pad rejuvenator and APC, I was thinking Ill do the pre spray with apc and then drop it in the Pad rejuvenator. I'm just a little scared to pop these pads in the washer.

They cost a little too much to get shipped here :(

Just to confirm, Long cycle with plain hot water - no cleaners etc?

custmsprty
12-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that. I currently have DP pad rejuvenator and APC, I was thinking Ill do the pre spray with apc and then drop it in the Pad rejuvenator. I'm just a little scared to pop these pads in the washer.

They cost a little too much to get shipped here :(

Just to confirm, Long cycle with plain hot water - no cleaners etc?

I use a little all free and clear, I've been washing my pads this way for a couple years with no issues at all, other than a pissed off wife because the washer smells like car care products :buffing:

emmjay
12-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I use a little all free and clear, I've been washing my pads this way for a couple years with no issues at all, other than a pissed off wife because the washer smells like car care products :buffing:

LOL!

I got lucky there as my folks were selling their old washer when they got a new one a couple of months ago but I convinced them to keep it so I can wash my car care stuff. No more hand washing and scabbed hands Im the MAN