PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti-Freezing Washer Fluid for NY Winters?

Pages : [1] 2

Hokie335i
12-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Hey guys,
So I'm moving to Buffalo for a job and bought a Tahoe to replace my sports car for the snow. I wanted to see what the best washer fluid is to use that won't freeze in the system. My girlfriend has a Subie up there and her washer fluid freezes up in the nozzles and doesn't work half the time. I'm hoping to prevent this. I saw that Einszett makes some Anti-frost additive and some others do as well but having to use 2 bottles per tank ends up being quite expensive since Winter up in NY is so long.

Thanks!

Mike Honcho
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Forget about that. Go to Ted's and get 2 hot dogs with slime sauce. After that, go to Anchor Bar to get some chicken wings.

Mike Honcho
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Grab some peanut sticks, too!

FUNX650
12-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Stop in at one of Buffalo's auto parts stores,
like A.Z., and pick up a gallon or two of
their windshield washer reservoir fluid
that's rated to -20°F...(aka: the "blue stuff").

Or...ask one of the locals what they
use and/or recommend.

Bob

TheAverageMan
12-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I use RainX washer additive, a orange liquid from walmart for like 2 bucks. Try browsing around their stores and asking. Also get IPA and water mixture for defrosting your windshield, check youtube for videos.

ColeTrain
12-04-2015, 01:57 PM
I am in St. Louis, I don't want to have a weather battle. Lol. But it gets cold here too.

Here is what I learned and solved this problem for me.

I use the gallon jugs of no freeze washer fluid at the auto stores. I have used several brands and find them all to be good. Get one rated, as the post before states.

Most important About this time of year. Get rid of all the washer fluid that is in there now! I have found that oil change places and garages use just water, only, with blue dye to save money in the summer. I try and change my own oil, most of the time, but even the regular stuff mixed with the good stuff that you just bought reduces the effectiveness.

I just push the button and wash the window for a long time. I don't see an easier way to get rid of it on my cars.

Once you have it empty or near empty, put the good new stuff in.

I have been changing my oil all summer, I only use the low temp good stuff all year, so I don't need to do this flush process now. But I feel its a pretty big FYI in the process, if you haven't thought of it.

Ezmoney
12-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I use the Orange Rain-X washer fluid that I purchase from walmart as well.

IMHO, well worth the price over the blue stuff when it comes to the family's safety. (Being able to see where you are going IS important.)

NYV6Coupe
12-04-2015, 02:09 PM
I use the orange Wal-Mart washer fluid & never had a squirt nozzle freeze, put it in my daughter's car & GF's car too so I trust it for safety too.

Hokie335i
12-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just stick to what I can find in stores with the lowest rating.

I've been up to Buffalo a lot before and hit the hot spots haha. Definitely a lot of good food

damaged442
12-04-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm in NY and just use the -20 °F blue stuff from anywhere. Unless it actually gets that cold, it hasn't frozen. I have never had a problem.

Anchor Bar is OK, but Duff's has better wings, IMO!

Good luck!

Hokie335i
12-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm in NY and just use the -20 °F blue stuff from anywhere. Unless it actually gets that cold, it hasn't frozen. I have never had a problem.

Anchor Bar is OK, but Duff's has better wings, IMO!

Good luck!

I'll definitely have to agree with you there. Duff's is better in my opinion!

RaskyR1
12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I've never had a washer fluid freeze on me and I've been in MN all my life, were it definitely gets cold in the winters. :dunno:

Angus
12-04-2015, 03:28 PM
My girlfriend has a Subie up there and her washer fluid freezes up in the nozzles and doesn't work half the time.

Not trying to be sexist here - but are you sure she's using 100% washer fluid? And not topping it off with... plain old water? Buddy of mine's wife did that and then was confused why her nozzles froze over in the winter. :doh:

Another option to consider is a windshield cover. I use one on my DD whenever ice/snow is predicted overnight. Makes life easier when you're in a rush:

http://www.amazon.com/Delk-FrostGuard-Winter-Windshield-Cover/dp/B00OZ42J4C/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41gpeJW161L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0J7M3JASFB19VZ6CSYZJ

Hokie335i
12-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Not trying to be sexist here - but are you sure she's using 100% washer fluid? And not topping it off with... plain old water? Buddy of mine's wife did that and then was confused why her nozzles froze over in the winter. :doh:

Another option to consider is a windshield cover. I use one on my DD whenever ice/snow is predicted overnight. Makes life easier when you're in a rush:

Amazon.com: Delk FrostGuard Winter Windshield Cover 52495: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Delk-FrostGuard-Winter-Windshield-Cover/dp/B00OZ42J4C/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41gpeJW161L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0J7M3JASFB19VZ6CSYZJ)

Yes I'm sure she's not topping it off with water. She knows better than that.

It's more a problem when we're driving and the nozzles aren't working great to clear the windshield. May be a poor design or something. The fluid will barely come out and usually only hits the bottom of the windshield.

Angus
12-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes I'm sure she's not topping it off with water. She knows better than that.

It's more a problem when we're driving and the nozzles aren't working great to clear the windshield. May be a poor design or something. The fluid will barely come out and usually only hits the bottom of the windshield.

Ok, just wanted to throw it out there as a possibility since I've seen it happen.

The window fluid nozzel spray on my wife's 2012 Subaru Impreza drove me nuts until I figured out how to adjust their aim. Maybe that's part of the issue? If it's a 2012 or newer Impreza you can try adjusting them up/down with a small flat head screw driver inserted the space above/below the nozzle head.