PDA

View Full Version : When to decide to detail in winter?

Pages : [1] 2

Sicoupe
12-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey gang! I was gonna detail my boys car tomorrow and was wanting to start as soon as possible. It's suppose to be around 40 degrees at 9:00am tomorrow. Can I get some feedback on when you all decide it's warm enough to start? And is 40 to cold to get started? Thanks for your opinions:xyxthumbs:

Kyle

David Hayward
12-03-2015, 08:52 PM
It's too cold when your products freeze or your body hurts or is numb :)

May just be something you want to try a small area with the products you plan to use and make sure they all work and act in a way you are comfortable with in low temps.

Mantilgh
12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
That may be mostly up to you and how comfortable you are in that temp and how badly you want it done. Some people further south may say "no way, to cold for me" but those of who live in colder areas do it with out question. It shouldn't cause too many problems but may also depend on what you are planning on doing and the product you are using.

If it's just a wash and wax it shouldn't be a problem, and should be a little warmer by the time you get to the wax phase. Some sealants or hybrid waxes may streak on you a little if it's to cold, but if it's going to get up into the mid fifties by mid day you should be fine. Shouldn't have too many issues with interior products in that range.

What will your process be and what products are you using?

Maybe someone will have some insight on them.

DetailKitty
12-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Do you have somewhere inside to go?
Usually I will brave the cold for the washing stages, but then I do my compounding, polishing, waxing, sealing in my garage (which is heated).
If you're outside, then too cold is under what the recommended temp is for the products you are using.
If you are just washing, then too cold is cold enough for the water to freeze on the car while you are working (this has happened to me).

GSKR
12-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I was in ny for the holiday and it was 40 degrees .The sun is the strongest at 12 am to about 3:30 pm,so if your gonna do it you better hustle.I think it can be done.The hardest part is washing.

GSKR
12-03-2015, 09:10 PM
I take living in Florida for granted not anymore .

Sicoupe
12-03-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm gonna be washing and Iron-x the whole car, then claying afterwards. Then gonna do some polishing on his trunk. Then finish with some sealant and wax. It's suppose to be mid to high 50's by afternoon. And thanks for the quick response folks:)

David Hayward
12-03-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna be washing and Iron-x the whole car, then claying afterwards. Then gonna do some polishing on his trunk. Then finish with some sealant and wax. It's suppose to be mid to high 50's by afternoon. And thanks for the quick response folks:)

Should be just fine. Maybe just make sure to keep the clay bar, if that's what you are using, in a warm area until it is ready to use.

Sicoupe
12-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Should be just fine. Maybe just make sure to keep the clay bar, if that's what you are using, in a warm area until it is ready to use.I can do that, thanks a lot for your help David and crew:props:

GSKR
12-03-2015, 09:32 PM

Reload would be good for your situation spray and wipe and your done.

Sicoupe
12-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Reload would be good for your situation spray and wipe and your done.I agree, I really need to get some of that. It will be on my next order:xyxthumbs:

GSKR
12-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Stuff is awesome did a plane today,and applied meguairs sealer on the wing then applied reload on top of sealer waited 10 minutes till the reload was in a oily state then wiped the two products together with ease.paint was dripping wet.

custmsprty
12-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Still in the 80's here in Tampa, man I'm waiting for winter!!!

Sicoupe
12-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Still in the 80's here in Tampa, man I'm waiting for winter!!!Thats just cruel man:)

A2D Signature
12-03-2015, 11:49 PM
I detailed an Audi A4 in 25 degrees. I'm from the North East. The cold doesn't hurt me that badly. I used hot water rinseless wash and rubber gloves up to my elbows. Hands got cold, stuck them in the bucket and heated them right back up.

Do what you can handle