PDA

View Full Version : Lovely weather were having

Mantilgh
12-03-2015, 12:14 PM
What a nice a day it is today. ;)

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Apparently we have the highest per-capita gun ownership in the world, by far (I don't know if, per your conjecture, gun ownership here is "at an all-time low").

I don't really see how much deterrent effect an armed populace would have, given that most of these mass shooters seem to wind up killing themselves. Arguably the couple yesterday committed "suicide by cop".

Again, the threat of death isn't much of a deterrent to people that aren't afraid to die, are willing to blow themselves up (Paris), etc.

Mike Phillips
12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Just to chime in...

Historically we avoid political discussions on this forum for two general reasons,

1. This is a forum for discussing car wax and car detailing.

2. There are thousands of political discussion forum and even gun forums to share your thoughts.

Most of us here on this forum have more in common than we do in differences simply because we're car guys (and car girls), and we all have a passion for making things clean and shiny.

Beyond that there's probably a lot diversity among us and while no one ever intends to offend anyone else these types of discussions do tend to end up doing this and nothing good ever comes from it.

So while I love a healthy political discussion and all my close friends know I'm a news junkie, how about we just let this thread go and get back to topics related to car detailing?

One thing for sure... as soon as it gets out of control the Moderators will close it.

:)

Mantilgh
12-03-2015, 12:38 PM
And tomorrow will be even better

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2015, 12:42 PM
most of us here on this forum have more in common than we do in differences simply because we're car guys (and car girls), and we all have a passion for making things clean and shiny.

+1

beyond that there's probably a lot diversity among us and while no one ever intends to offend anyone else these types of discussions do tend to end up doing this and nothing good ever comes from it.

+1

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2015, 12:46 PM
I was thinking about this the other day after the Paris attacks. If there was an attack here with many organized terrorist, would you hear of people loading up in pickups and heading there trying to take them down.

Um, that happened yesterday, didn't you see truckfull after truckfull of armed people heading there trying to take them down? I did, they were wearing clothes that said things like POLICE, SHERIFF, SWAT, etc. And by golly, they were pretty successful, must be all that government training and equipment. It's hard to see how a bunch of civilians would have improved things or the outcome.

That being said, I'm going to hew to the line that Mike Phillips has suggested, and end my participation in this (what I'm sure will be short-lived) thread.

DapperStyle
12-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Don't think this is the right place and Mike is right it will just devolve into shouting matches. A topic like this is like arguing which season is better Summer or Winter, some like the cold some like the heat.

All I will say is, giving everyone a gun isn't the answer but neither is banning guns. What we need is better background checks, more psych checks and to hold gun shop owners/sellers accountable to under the table weapons sales that result in crimes. If a gun was sold illegally, to someone unfit to own one by a gun shop or owner of a gun shop he should be held liable if that gun is then used in a crime to threaten/kill a civilian or a LEO.

Mantilgh
12-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Sorry, please shut it down.

I don't want to see everyone arguing about it. I know there are many mixed opinions.

ski2
12-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Sweden may have a higher per-capita gun ownership than us, but that is because they have no army--just a militia who keeps their guns at home, but are not permitted to keep ammunition in their homes.

Statistics have overwhelmingly shown that if you keep a gun at home for protection that gun is more likely to be used in a suicide or accidental death rather than for protection.

Tuesday the House Republicans blocked a debate on a bill that would close a loophole allowing suspected terrorists to legally buy guns. The bill would bar gun sales to those on the government’s no-fly list. More than 2,000 suspects on the FBI’s Terrorist Watchlist bought weapons in the U.S. over the past 11 years, according to the federal Government Accountability Office

A2D Signature
12-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Sweden may have a higher per-capita gun ownership than us, but that is because they have no army--just a militia who keeps their guns at home, but are not permitted to keep ammunition in their homes.

Statistics have overwhelmingly shown that if you keep a gun at home for protection that gun is more likely to be used in a suicide or accidental death rather than for protection.

Tuesday the House Republicans blocked a debate on a bill that would close a loophole allowing suspected terrorists to legally buy guns. The bill would bar gun sales to those on the government’s no-fly list. More than 2,000 suspects on the FBI’s Terrorist Watchlist bought weapons in the U.S. over the past 11 years, according to the federal Government Accountability Office

Can we end the political discussion? This world is ugly and it's beautiful, let's just enjoy the ride....and our rides after we detail them.

parshooter
12-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't call it lovely. Although it's not raining still, it's gray and chilly out. Next couple of days are supposed to be sunny, but in the 40s/50s. Baby needs a bath, but don't know how long the "nice" weather is supposed to last.

BillE
12-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Following only the "weather" part...Yea, reallllly nice! Here tis, middle of December and the temps are in the 40's with only about 5" of snow on the ground.

I like El Nino!

Bill

Billy Baldone
12-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Yep, going to be almost 50 and clear in the Chicagoland area all next week, and..... My favorite heated indoor do it yourself car wash has just reopened with new owners.

parshooter
12-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Yep, going to be almost 50 and clear in the Chicagoland area all next week, and..... My favorite heated indoor do it yourself car wash has just reopened with new owners.
HEATED INDOOR DO IT YOURSELF CAR WASH? I WANT ONE :dblthumb2:

Billy Baldone
12-04-2015, 11:32 AM
They only charge $2 for 4 minutes I told them they need to double their prices in the winter time to keep the riff raff out, because morons leave the doors open and it irritates me to no end😠