PDA

View Full Version : Heavy oxidation on Clearcoat

emba129
12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi Mike,
I just bought an 08 Accord, Tafetta White / Clearcoat. I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it. It is heavily oxidized and I want to get it back to the finish it should be.

I have for product: Dupont Red rubbing compound, Dupont White rubbing compound, Meguiars Fine Cut cleaner, Meguiars Clay Bar System, Meguiars Pre-Wax Cleaner, Meguiars Carnauba Wax

I also have a dual action orbital polisher.

Is there something better out there productwise or technique that I can use without having to apply some of these products that may be too abrasive and do more damage than good.

I'm thinking of some kind of oxide remover product followed by clay bar, prewax cleaner, hand glaze then carnauba. I came across something called l'oxide emulsion but don't know if that's recommended or readily available. What ever it is it has to be clearcoat safe.

Thanks
Chris

Mike Phillips
12-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi Mike,
I just bought an 08 Accord, Tafetta White / Clearcoat. I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it. It is heavily oxidized and I want to get it back to the finish it should be.

Let's hope the issue is just oxidation and not clearcoat failure.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

I have for product: Dupont Red rubbing compound, Dupont White rubbing compound, Meguiars Fine Cut cleaner,

All of the above products should remove oxidation. I have not used the Dupont products for years and if these are older products they may leave micro-marring behind. You won't see it on light colored paints like you would black but regardless micro-marring can take place with older abrasive technologies.

Meguiars Clay Bar System, Meguiars Pre-Wax Cleaner, Meguiars Carnauba Wax

I also have a dual action orbital polisher.

The above is all good for use after you remove the oxidation.

Is there something better out there productwise or technique that I can use without having to apply some of these products that may be too abrasive and do more damage than good.

Yes. Get a bottle of any modern compound and use this with a foam cutting pad or a Meguiar's microfiber pad on your DA polisher.

I'm thinking of some kind of

oxide remover product
followed by clay bar,
prewax cleaner,
hand glaze
then carnauba.

Thanks
Chris

The above would work but here's how I would do it,

Wash and dry
Compound paint
Polish paint
Wax paint

Chances are good if the paint is like you say,

Hi Mike,
I just bought an 08 Accord, Tafetta White / Clearcoat.

I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it.

It is heavily oxidized and I want to get it back to the finish it should be.

Then claying will just fill your clay up with dead paint. Might as well compound first and if the paint IS heavily oxidized then any contaminants will come off when you remove the dead paint.

Sorry for the late reply, been out in California...

Competition Ready at the Petersen Museum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/autogeek-velocity-channel-tv/97132-competition-ready-petersen-museum.html)

:xyxthumbs:

:)

sweatthedetails
12-04-2015, 12:18 PM
White tends to oxidize like boats for some reason. The first time i detailed one of these i thought i went throught the clear because of all the white coming off. I would suggest ditching the clay bar and getting something like a med grade Speedy prep towel, or better yet on of the new pads you can put on a machine to clay the surface.