PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sealant Prior to Coating

ugafiredawg
12-02-2015, 11:46 AM
As mentioned in a previous post, I recently applied WG's Uber Coating to my truck. I am interested in applying it to my wife's car now...but...I just got done doing a full correction on her car (a week ago) and I applied WG Paint Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Would using WG's Perfekt Paint prep be suffice to remove the sealant prior to coating? Or would I be forced to do a light polish to the vehicle again? I would rather not have to polish again.

Also, I noticed when using the Perfekt Paint Prep on my truck, it became quite grabby when buffing it off. I was using quite a few of the purple mf found on AG, and was getting marring on the paint. (2015 Nissan Frontier, Super Black). Any tips to removing this stuff without inflicting damage to a freshly polished vehicle? I just learned to live with it and applied the coating anyways after having no success in avoiding the marring. Can a spritz of distilled water be used to help remove the stuff when buffing it off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Corey@OptimalDetailing
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
I would do a light polish to ensure removal of the sealant, considering it was applied such a short time ago. Even a non-diluted APC or straight IPA isn't a sure way to remove the sealant (or recommended for that matter). Grab your least abrasive finishing polish, hit it with IPA or the Wolfgang Perfekt Paint prep and apply coating.

FUNX650
12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
IMO:
The sure-fire way to remove this
Wolfgang Sealant, is to polish it off.

Next:
-use Wolfgang Perfekt Paint Prep;
-and, then: apply the Coating.

Bob

ugafiredawg
12-02-2015, 12:09 PM
That is what I figured. Alrighty, so any tips on removing the Perfekt Paint prep without inducing marring? Maybe my Nissan paint is just super soft? And being black doesn't help the matter. I tried various techniques, more/less product, lighter hand buffing, work smaller areas, etc. Nothing helped.

Rsurfer
12-02-2015, 01:47 PM
That is what I figured. Alrighty, so any tips on removing the Perfekt Paint prep without inducing marring? Maybe my Nissan paint is just super soft? And being black doesn't help the matter. I tried various techniques, more/less product, lighter hand buffing, work smaller areas, etc. Nothing helped.

I have not used Perfekt Paint Prep, but most paint cleaners are difficult to remove. Seems like you have tried a lot of methods to apply and remove without success (Nissan paint/black)..I would just skip the paint prep and do an IPA wipe down. Although I recommended IPA, because it's easy to get, I like Kleen Strip much better.

Audios S6
12-02-2015, 02:15 PM
I had the same issue of the paint prep being very grabby. I found that using less product and a ton of towels was best, and going around the car twice, rather than spraying it on heavy once.

You could spray the panel and wipe it once, then spray with IPA or distilled water and wipe again. The IPA mixture should help with the grabbing and also help the product flash a bit better.

Perhaps even just spraying the towel with a bit of IPA would help

Nissan paint is generally on the soft side.

ugafiredawg
12-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I had the same issue of the paint prep being very grabby. I found that using less product and a ton of towels was best, and going around the car twice, rather than spraying it on heavy once.

You could spray the panel and wipe it once, then spray with IPA or distilled water and wipe again. The IPA mixture should help with the grabbing and also help the product flash a bit better.

Perhaps even just spraying the towel with a bit of IPA would help

Nissan paint is generally on the soft side.

Good to know I wasn't the only one. I'll give your technique a try next time around. I just ran out of patience after breaking out the DA to remove the marring for the umpteenth time lol