PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid water spots? Where to wash car?

Pages : [1] 2

Based
12-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Hey where do you guys wash your cars if you don't have a tent or a tree or any shade? I wash my grandmas car and every time it always leaves spots until it rains. I need to one step my miata and I don't want to have spots... I guess just wait until its below 70 outside?

Evan.J
12-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Rineless wash will greatly help you. If you want to do a traditional wash then washing in the morning or in the evening will reduce the water spots

mwoolfso
12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
First off, who says you cannot wash your vehicle in the sun? If these are new spots that appear on the vehicle then I suspect you may not be drying the vehicle well enough.

If the spots were already there you will likely need to do some polishing.

pheerix
12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Get a water filtering/deionizing system like CR Spotless

Based
12-01-2015, 03:05 PM
First off, who says you cannot wash your vehicle in the sun? If these are new spots that appear on the vehicle then I suspect you may not be drying the vehicle well enough.

If the spots were already there you will likely need to do some polishing.

They appear because it dries mid wash. And let me be clear... The spots are on the chrome trim and the glass. The car is white so I can't tell if they're there or not

zmcgovern45
12-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Who says you can't wash when the sun is down?

Many people won't consider this, but I wash cars at night all of the time, and in the summer, it takes away a lot of the pressure of rushing to try to avoid water spotting.

Most people have flood lighting outside of their garage, flip them on, set up a work light for added light, and go to town.

I've also got a 2 part article on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog about water spots and how to avoid them :)

pheerix
12-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I do rinseless in the garage at night all the time.

SYMAWD
12-01-2015, 04:09 PM
I just let the shampoo dry on the car then when I'm all done I rinse it off, spray the car down with detail spray, then dry. Never an issue. Obviously don't use a shampoo that you can't let dry on the surface.

glfnaz
12-01-2015, 04:42 PM
I wash with a waterless wash. It comes as a concentrate and it is mixed with distilled water.
16oz makes about 6 gallons. It doesn't spot. Even if I do a conventional wash I still use the same product as a drying aid like a quick detailer product. Even if I wash in the sun, it doesn't waterspot.

Try Ultima waterless wash plus.

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

For $18 you can get 6 gallons of detail spray. And, no spots. I buy a gallon of distilled water at the store, splash out 3 ounces on the driveway, then replace the 3 oz from the Ultima bottle. Shake it up and spray the car, and wipe. It's so easy it's seems like cheating.

:xyxthumbs:

Desertnate
12-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I wash my cars in the sun all the time. Our neighborhood isn't old enough to have large trees. I do try and wash early in the morning or later in the after noon when the sun isn't as hot or direct.

For smaller cars, I just move rapidly and try to get done before things dry out completely. When doing our SUV, I'll only rinse/wash the panel right in front of me to keep having water dry on a panel between the first rinse and the actual washing. I'll even do the roof last as it's the most exposed/hottest area. It's probably not the "proper" way to wash a vehicle, but I've been able to cut down on water spotting.

Once I've flooded the surface as a final rinse, I'll use a QD, waterless wash, or spray wax as a drying aid. I've found this eliminates any water spots that may have formed while drying.

parshooter
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
This is why I love rinseless washing. No water is on the car long enough to dry and spot. And with a black car, that's huge.

Mantilgh
12-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Pretty much what everyone has said here.

If forced to work in the sun, just use more water to keep the surface cool and keep rewetting previously washed sections until you're done. Or, wash the roof and glass and dry. Then wash another section and dry that and whatever areas you got a little water on, and repeat. It's a little extra work, and can be kind of a chasing your tail situation.

Most of the time just drying with a dampened drying towel takes them away. If not that then waterless, rinseless, detail spray, or spray wax as you dry. If that doesn't work then they were probably already there.

Waterless and rinseless washes used very wet alone are nice for this in the sun. Done section by section drying as you go.

What is the car wash soap that you are using?

And are you rinsing the soap off well enough?

FUNX650
12-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Hey where do you guys wash your cars if you
don't have a tent or a tree or any shade?

I guess just wait until its below 70 outside?
•Whenever the Sun is bearing down on the vehicle,
and me...I'll most often let the panels' temperature
be the determining factor of whether if it's too hot,
or not, for a car-washing session.

I wash my grandmas car and every time
it always leaves spots until it rains.
•That's strange to have the water-spotting (from
washing the vehicle) being removed when it rains...
Seems like it's usually the other way around!

I need to one step my miata and I don't want to have spots
IMHO:
There really shouldn't be any formations of water
spotting occuring when performing a one-step.
So..Have at it!!

Bob

Ebg18t
12-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Hey where do you guys wash your cars if you don't have a tent or a tree or any shade? I wash my grandmas car and every time it always leaves spots until it rains. I need to one step my miata and I don't want to have spots... I guess just wait until its below 70 outside?

Wash early in the day or late in the day.

The water at our other house has very hard water that leads to spots during a traditional wash. This house has a better treatment system and the water yields very few spots.

But I usually do a rinsless wash and never get spots. Rinsless is just easier anyways.

builthatch
12-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Rineless wash will greatly help you. If you want to do a traditional wash then washing in the morning or in the evening will reduce the water spots

this.