PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase my 1st polisher

Pages : [1] 2 3

hosaltezza
11-30-2015, 07:56 PM
I see all these great sales going on and am new to detailing. I am just going to detail my car and my wife car . I've been doing a lot off reading and still have a lot to learn . I am interested in getting a polisher and am thinking about getting the GG6. My question is do i get a GG6 and get a great deal now or just continue reading and learning some more and buy this in the near future? Thanks for your input.

Boejoula
11-30-2015, 08:42 PM
I personally like the flex 3401 because of the forced rotation. If you are going to buy anything you might as well get it with a discount if you can.

hosaltezza
11-30-2015, 09:20 PM
I was also looking at that one I don't mind spending the money. I rather spend a little more if it's worth it . What would your recommend for a beginner starting kit ?

GenesisCoupe
11-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Go with the GG. It's better than the PC and perfect for what you will be doing.

I feel like the Flex suggested in above post will be too much for you and you can damage paint with Flex. Plus it's on the heavier side unlike the GG.

David Hayward
11-30-2015, 09:39 PM
For just casual detailing the GG6 will be fine. If I were just doing it as a hobby I would buy the GG6 with a meguiars da microfiber kit. The 5" kit and then 4 of the meguiars or lake country thin foam cutting pads and 2 of the foam polishing pads. That's enough to do just about anything and then even if you wanted to do a little side work it's capable of that too. Then past that just a compound and a finish polish, I like menzerna or Wolfgang. You may not need much but just to have a complete setup and since you said you don't mind spending a little money I would just go about this far in. It would be a great idea to research. The sales are hot right now but autogeek always has something going for sales and if you call and talk with Nick maybe he can help you out when you are ready.

hosaltezza
11-30-2015, 09:47 PM
I will just be detailing my own personal cars not interested in any business at all . Just wanna get a nice set together and keep my car looking awesome. Thanks for your input .

Sicoupe
11-30-2015, 10:26 PM
For just casual detailing the GG6 will be fine. If I were just doing it as a hobby I would buy the GG6 with a meguiars da microfiber kit. The 5" kit and then 4 of the meguiars or lake country thin foam cutting pads and 2 of the foam polishing pads. That's enough to do just about anything and then even if you wanted to do a little side work it's capable of that too. Then past that just a compound and a finish polish, I like menzerna or Wolfgang. You may not need much but just to have a complete setup and since you said you don't mind spending a little money I would just go about this far in. It would be a great idea to research. The sales are hot right now but autogeek always has something going for sales and if you call and talk with Nick maybe he can help you out when you are ready.Well said:props:

ski2
12-01-2015, 12:08 AM
The GG6 with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads can handle anything you throw at it with the right pads and products and it has a lifetime warranty. Buff and Shine has excellent pads with a recessed Velcro for an added margin of safety when polishing around protruding objects like mirrors etc. Also, get a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads for the tight areas like bumpers.

And, make sure you get enough pads--trying to do an entire car with 1 or 2 pads is a surefire ticket to failure. Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the subject: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Mike Phillips
12-01-2015, 12:20 AM
The Griot's Garage 6" DA is probably the best bang for your buck if you are only taking care of your own cars.

Read this article,

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

Note there's lots of good info all the way through the thread.

Also as suggested, get a 5" backing plate and get 5.5" foam pads.

:)

hosaltezza
12-01-2015, 12:27 AM
You guy are great thanks for all the advise i will continue to read and learn from everyone on here thanks again.

AnthonyGXP
12-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Griot's Garage 6" is the way to go for a non-professional. Even though some professionals do use them, it's all that's needed to maintain your personal vehicles.

Ancient1
12-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Personally I would go with a long stroke DA as long as the extra cost doesn't hurt. When I got my first polisher I had a hard time deciding between the 3401 and a GG6 since I only had my car to do I went with the GG6 but soon after I really wished I had went with the flex. A couple months ago I dropped my GG6 and broke the plastic cover over the gear case and found that it gets a little warmer than is comfortable on polishing and at that time I found that there was new long throw polisher out that was cheaper than the Rupes and Boss and I got it the Torq 22D. I found that it was no harder to use than the GG6 once I got used to the longer handle and was a little more particular with keeping the pad level to keep it rotating. The best thing is it takes about half the time to do the same amount of correction. I have both the 5" and 6" back plates and for me it seems easier to control with the 6" plate. I also found it easier to control with the longer handle on the vertical surfaces. Everything I said about my 22D would apply to the higher quality Rupes and Boss polishers. As far as weight goes I weighed them and with a 6" back plate my 22D weighed 7 ounces more than my GG6 with a 3.5" back plate.
One thing about having two now is I can have a dedicated one with a smaller pad for the tighter areas on the car without having to change back plates.

Like you I got mine just to do my car but I got a second car then I have done my brothers two (a lot of work since they are an Escalade and F150 extended cab), my daughters and my ex-wife/roommates car.

Zubair
12-01-2015, 02:21 AM
For comfort even if its just your own cars and you have the budget, RUPES. You will wish you bought it initially had you purchased the other cheaper stuff first.

VISITOR
12-01-2015, 02:26 AM
every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional PC-style DA (i've said this many times) and with that said the GG6 would be an excellent choice and there's not much you couldn't do given all the different pads/liquids that are out today. also, the warranty and customer service they provide is top notch!

VISITOR
12-01-2015, 04:54 AM
get this now (with a variety of backing plates & pads)..
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2269_27859469

then this later...
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-g21-long-throw-orbital-polisher-1.gif

:dblthumb2:

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A[/video]
[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A[/video]