PDA

View Full Version : Removing water spots from Ceramic coatings

Pages : [1] 2

ugafiredawg
11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Hello!
I just applied the new Wolfgang ceramic coating to my "black" truck. According to the local weather, we are about to get pummeled with rain the next few days. The truck is in the garage for the initial 12 her curing time, but will be left to the elements when I head to work.

My question is, what is everyone doing to remove the inevitable water spots that occur after a rain and when a ceramic coating is applied? Is this coating less susceptible to rain water spots than a LSP such as WG Paint Sealant? I normally use a light polish, WG Finishing Glaze) and finish with WG Paint Sealant. This is my first time using a coating.

Just wondering what the experts think.

Thanks!!

Evan.J
11-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Just a normal wash should take care of them unless they are hard water spots.

FUNX650
11-30-2015, 07:25 PM
First:
I'd wait and see if this Coating even becomes
water-spotted; and, then, if water-spotting should
happen to occur: analyze/determine to what extent,
if any, that they may be deleterious to the paint.

Then...
before any of the abrading-methods, that
you mentioned above, are even attempted...
Follow Nick's advise of washing the vehicle with:
Wolfgang introduces a luxury Auto Bathe Car Wash (http://www.autogeek.net/wg1000.html)

Bob

ugafiredawg
11-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Great! Thanks for the insight. My truck is garaged when at home, but every third day, it is out in the elements for 24 hrs. So this is something I will try to stay on top of. I have WG's new waterless wash as well. I am hoping this is something that can be used to remove them, if they occur.

asalesagent912
11-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Great! Thanks for the insight. My truck is garaged when at home, but every third day, it is out in the elements for 24 hrs. So this is something I will try to stay on top of. I have WG's new waterless wash as well. I am hoping this is something that can be used to remove them, if they occur.
if they occur you can use carpro spotless

builthatch
11-30-2015, 08:43 PM
1. wash

if that doesn't work

2. spotless

if that doesn't work

3. MDR and some elbow grease

if that doesn't work

4. Poli-Seal and a mild cut/no cut pad or maybe this new CarPro Essence...although Poli-Seal is all you need and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

if that doesn't work

5. you are out of luck and will have to polish, removing the coating - thus, having to re-apply.

7.3powerstroke
11-30-2015, 08:48 PM
builthatch- great post, seems like you got it down.

ugafiredawg
11-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks again! I was just looking at Spotless. Seems like it would be fine to use with the WG coating. I'll see how the coating handles spots and initially start with a wash if they appear. Ideally, I would like to use something like the WG Uber Rinseless Wash, in its quick detailer form, to do a quick spray and wipe in hopes it does the trick.

FUNX650
11-30-2015, 10:04 PM
The questions that now arise for me are:

-Will all of these suggested brands: Wolfgang, CarPro,
Optimum, etc. play nicely together?

-Doesn't the 'Wolfgang brand', itself, have all of the
products necessary to maintain its own Uber Coating?

-Isn't it a shame that Coatings can
be so worrisome at times?

Good Luck, OP.

Bob

High Caliber
11-30-2015, 10:08 PM
WG Uber Rinseless Wash, in its quick detailer form, to do a quick spray and wipe in hopes it does the trick.

Waterless or Rinseless wash and a bunch of plush microfiber towels, is my go to.

ugafiredawg
11-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Waterless or Rinseless wash and a bunch of plush microfiber towels, is my go to.

That will be something I will have to try. Noticed you are in North Atlanta. Whereabouts? I'm in Woodstock.

Joeguam
11-30-2015, 10:52 PM
1. wash

if that doesn't work

2. spotless

if that doesn't work

3. MDR and some elbow grease

if that doesn't work

4. Poli-Seal and a mild cut/no cut pad or maybe this new CarPro Essence...although Poli-Seal is all you need and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

if that doesn't work

5. you are out of luck and will have to polish, removing the coating - thus, having to re-apply.

Only as an experience with OPTI COAT and it maybe an answer for your coating. As for the rain it was not a problem removing the spot with a soap/shampoo from and for OTPI COAT PRO/+ (I do not think it was hard type 1 water spot but enough to bother me off).
I did have the grass sprinkler spray water on my black paint truck and it eventually dried creating a type 1 water spot. As builthatch hatch stated Mineral Deposit Remover (MDR) did the job and depending how embedded it is, time of elbow grease depends. It rubbed it in for about 30 seconds then I let it sit for a couple of minutes and then I wiped it off. It works but it is time consuming.
Good luck

Matt@flyingchipmunk
11-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Here's a point of reference for you, this is my personal vehicle that I coated with Uber Ceramic and after the 1 week waiting period did my first maintenance rinseless wash with Megs D114.

You can see the before on the left side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-InHg7CSaL/

StangFan25
12-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Rained on my Uber Ceramic coated car and I washed it with the new Wolfgang rinsless wash and they came off with no effort.

ugafiredawg
12-01-2015, 07:23 AM
That is what I like to see! So I guess it is imperative I wait the 1 week before even using a rinseless wash, correct? Hopefully any water spots don't begin to etch during this waiting period.

I just know in the past with using WG's paint sealant, that even after a foam and two bucket wash, I could still see water spots under lighting I use for detailing. And btw, my truck is brand new, and the paint has no hard etched water spots. Just the fresh stuff that appears after a rain or dew.

I am just hoping that with going with a coating, that I can remove these spots without having to polish and remove the coating.