PDA

View Full Version : Making the first big purchase

Pages : [1] 2

C.Moore
11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking to take it to the next level when it comes to detailing .. I'm not looking to start up a business or anything like that but maybe just as a hobby .. I've been looking at the car care kits and it seems the wolf gang and Black fire are highly rated but my biggest questions are which polisher and pads to get and how many .. The only items I have now are over the counter items you can get anywhere but I'm wanting to get into paint corrections and turn scratches into mirrors .. Thanks for any help

AGOatemywallet
11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Start here building your base of knowledge, before you waste a lot of money on tools and products

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Mizzoutiger
11-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Read Mike Phillips' book Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-30-2015, 03:29 AM
The BLACKFIRE and Wolfgang lineup is a great place to start. Plenty of great products in either lineup.

As others mentioned, start off reading and digesting as much as you can about detailing.

You will get many varying answers on which polisher to start with. My machine of choice is the Flex 3401 equipped with the Lake Country Hybrid pads and Menzerna polishes.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

FinishingTouchA
11-30-2015, 03:53 AM
My recommendation for a beginner is the GG6 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html) due to it's ease of use, price, and warranty.
For pads I recommend Lake Country Hybrid or CCS. There are lots of other good ones too but those are my weapons of choice. You will see often on here there is no such thing as too many pads. I recommend 2 or more of each: heavy cutting, polishing, finishing.

dlc95
11-30-2015, 09:27 AM
The Porter Cable 7424xp is probably my favorite. I have a 3401, and a Duetto, but the PC seems to work best for me.

The GG6 seems very popular due to it's price/power combination.

I also like select Buff and Shine, and Lake Country CCS pads,

ryandamartini
11-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Griots garage da with low profile pads. If you want results without paying body parts for small containers, check out Meguiars Detailers Line. Outside of them, I use dp tire cleaner, Garry dean juice boost for sealant, and stoners for glass.

Rockeey
11-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking to take it to the next level when it comes to detailing .. I'm not looking to start up a business or anything like that but maybe just as a hobby .. I've been looking at the car care kits and it seems the wolf gang and Black fire are highly rated but my biggest questions are which polisher and pads to get and how many .. The only items I have now are over the counter items you can get anywhere but I'm wanting to get into paint corrections and turn scratches into mirrors .. Thanks for any help

Be warned. If you're like many of us, once you start buying you won't be able to stop :D

I started out with an inexpensive DA and a few pads along with some OTC products. Fast forward a couple of years and now I have my original DA, a Makita rotary, a soon-to-arrive Griots G15, stacks of buffing pads, and a cabinet full of products....and I'm just a weekend warrior who does my own cars and some cars for friends, family, and neighbors.

It's addicting !!!

Paul A.
11-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Therapy's expensive! I'd rather pay Dr. Autogeek than some quack $200 an hour.

Jaretr1
11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
The Porter Cable 7424xp is probably my favorite. I have a 3401, and a Duetto, but the PC seems to work best for me.

The GG6 seems very popular due to it's price/power combination.

I also like select Buff and Shine, and Lake Country CCS pads,

I agree about the PC. It was my first tool and never let me down.

I also like the new Meguiars thin discs and or these:

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System New for 2016! (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thin-pro-foam-pads.html)

Tex
11-30-2015, 04:25 PM
It's been a while since I posted something, but having gone the "newbie route" not so long ago, I will provide insight from the path I followed.

First, before even thinking about buffing scratches, have a solid cleaning kit. If your paint has surface contaminants, buffing will use these to swirl the paint you are trying to correct. It took me a while to learn that part. Favorite products are DP Auto Bath (now power wash) for heavier duty cleaning and Wolfgang Auto bath for lighter duty, chenille wash mitt, green drying towel and of course 2 buckets. You probably will want to clay the car before polishing, favorite products are the Pinnacle clay and DP rinseless wash and gloss diluted for clay lube duty. I will skip on wheels and interior since it is not paint related.

Now, for buffing, I went with the PC polisher and love it. Pads, Lake county CCS are very good. You will need at least yellow (tough paint or heavy duty buffing), orange (most common for medium duty work), white (fine polishing). I did buy the gray and red one for superfine polishing and for waxing but never really use them.

Polishes: it seems there are a number of good combinations (for 1 coarser polish and 1 finer one). Menzerna, Meguiars, Wolfgang, 1Z and some others. While I use 1Z polishes, I tried the Wolfgang "twins" and the Menzerna products and loved them both. The reason for the 1Z is that it seems to work better on BMW ceramic paints and the super tough paint on my wife's Passat.

You will also need something to clean the polishes. Some wash the car, some use IPA, some use a dedicated pre-wax cleaner. I am still trying to figure out what works best since it seems I can never get rid of it all.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Therapy's expensive! I'd rather pay Dr. Autogeek than some quack $200 an hour.

:iagree: Lol

C.Moore
12-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys for the responses, I'm leaning towards getting a flex or big foot polisher, I'm still learning on what pads to use .. Ill be using it primarily on a 2015 f150, black of course lol but I have a ranger for a daily driver to practice on lol .. I feel like I have a pretty good wash method down, two bucket method and clay bar when needed, I've been able to keep it pretty swirl free but like anyone else I like a swirl free finish .. I have some towels from walmart so I'm unsure of the quality so I'll pick up some high quality microfiber towels that you all recommend

Sharply Dressed
12-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Be warned. If you're like many of us, once you start buying you won't be able to stop :D

I started out with an inexpensive DA and a few pads along with some OTC products. Fast forward a couple of years and now I have my original DA, a Makita rotary, a soon-to-arrive Griots G15, stacks of buffing pads, and a cabinet full of products....and I'm just a weekend warrior who does my own cars and some cars for friends, family, and neighbors.

It's addicting !!!

Sure as h--- is addicting. And so is the forum. My wife asks everyday "what are you looking at?" Can't stop

C.Moore
12-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Lol I'm a perfectionist when it comes to small details .. I can see my bank account shrinking looking through all the products available lol .. This is after a detail with stuff I purchased at Walmart .. Two coats of meguiars ultimate paste wax and went over it with ultimate quick detailed