PDA

View Full Version : CeriGlass scratched my glass...?

ssmith96
11-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Not sure what happened, because I've used it before with no issues.

I went ahead and wanted to remove some light water spots on my windshield, to my surprise when I was done there was a decent of amount of new noticeable scratches, including one pretty long one, and what looked like the equivalent of micro marring on paint. Lots of tiny tiny swirls. I was working the product by hand using the applicator included in the kit, the water spot came out, but what in the world caused all this new crap?

Should I try using the CeriGlass by DA to remove this stuff?

Obviously I cleaned the glass before using the CeriGlass so I know I wasn't buffing in dirt or anything like that

GSKR
11-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Maybe it was there previously under all that spotting.ive used that on multi million dollar homes cars boats and planes never a promblem.maybe a grit of some sort got stuck in the app pad.ceriglass is to fine to put a scratch on glass.

ssmith96
11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Maybe, not sure, I wiped down the glass with glass cleaner and IPA before going at it. I also tired using CeriGlass by hand to fix the scratch and that just introduced more micro marring.

AutowerxDetailing
11-29-2015, 06:48 PM
I've seen it scratch glass when used by hand. I'm not sure why it would do this. But I've also seen 0000 steel wool leave scratches. It's almost like some glass is just very susceptible to scratching.

ssmith96
11-29-2015, 06:57 PM
I used it by DA and that seems to have taken care of it.

Mike Phillips
11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
I used it by DA and that seems to have taken care of it.

Good to hear...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Couple of suggestions for anyone reading this thread into the future....

1. Anytime you're polishing glass NEVER start by working on the glass in front of the driver's view. (Just in case something goes wrong).

2. If the manufacturer of the glass polish also sells and recommends their specific polishing pad to be used with their polish - use it.

3. Work clean (you handled that)

4. Do a test spot before working a large section.

5. Cover and protect everything surounding the glass if working by machine.

6. Use the buddy system if working by machine.

:)

irvsmith
11-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Couple of suggestions for anyone reading this thread into the future....

1. Anytime you're polishing glass NEVER start by working on the glass in front of the driver's view. (Just in case something goes wrong).

2. If the manufacturer of the glass polish also sells and recommends their specific polishing pad to be used with their polish - use it.

3. Work clean (you handled that)

4. Do a test spot before working a large section.

5. Cover and protect everything surounding the glass if working by machine.

6. Use the buddy system if working by machine.

:)

Buddy system? I can definitely agree with you on the cover and protect when working on glass.

Setec Astronomy
11-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Buddy system?

Mike's talking about having a buddy spray water on while you're polishing to keep everything wet and cool.

irvsmith
11-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Mike's talking about having a buddy spray water on while you're polishing to keep everything wet and cool.

Thanks for the clarification.

DogRescuer
11-30-2015, 06:31 AM

Ah the wife.