PDA

View Full Version : QD safe for fresh paint?

Pages : [1] 2

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I am just my car back from the body shop, and I am about to wash it now. I usually use AW, but dont want to mess with the curing process. So, would a QD like WG spritz be fine?

Also, is Megs #5 the only thing that I can put on fresh paint for some protection?

Thanks.

gohandbz8
09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I heard that you can put carnuaba wax to protect the fresh paint since it allows the paint to breath.

That's what I did when I got my car back from the shop. It's been 2 months now and everything seems fine.

Old Pirate
09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
How long is it been out of the paint shop? and i would ask the paint shop to when can you wash it first, because different auto paints take different curing times........:cheers:

Rsurfer
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I had my rear bumber repainted and they told me that because it was heat baked, I could polish right away. I polished and waxed a few days later with no problems. Find out from the body shop if they heat baked the paint, if not I would wait a few weeks before polishing and waxing.

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
How long is it been out of the paint shop? and i would ask the paint shop to when can you wash it first, because different auto paints take different curing times........:cheers:

They said that I should wash it asap to remove the compounding dust. They even wash the cars after they are done, but I told them not to wash my car. The guy said that the paint is fully hardened, which it probably it, but it isnt fully cured. He told me that I can do anything I want to it, but I know better.

I am about to wash it, and like to use QD to aid in drying and need to know if it is safe. Kinda urgent, so it anyone knows for sure...

Old Pirate
09-26-2007, 03:14 PM
If it was me i would wash it and use alittle QD for some protection for now. And let cure some more time before using any other products for now.

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I had my rear bumber repainted and they told me that because it was heat baked, I could polish right away. I polished and waxed a few days later with no problems. Find out from the body shop if they heat baked the paint, if not I would wait a few weeks before polishing and waxing.

They said that it was, but despite this, the paint needs to "degass" and wax prevents this.

Old Pirate
09-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Old rule of thumb.....45 - 90 days, this is my own opinion, it's good to be safe than sorry down the road..............:cheers:

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Old rule of thumb.....45 - 90 days, this is my own opinion, it's good to be safe than sorry down the road..............:cheers:

Yea, I 100% agree when talking about wax/sealant.

I am just trying to figure out what the deal is with QD on fresh paint. I mean, it washes off, so I dont see how it can prevent degassing, but ya never know...

Rsurfer
09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
They said that it was, but despite this, the paint needs to "degass" and wax prevents this.
Like I said, I polished with OP and waxed with max wax with no problems. If you feel safer to wait, then just wash and qd.

Old Pirate
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Go ahead and wash it and use QD too. My favorite is Meg's #34.

ScottB
09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I heard that you can put carnuaba wax to protect the fresh paint since it allows the paint to breath.

That's what I did when I got my car back from the shop. It's been 2 months now and everything seems fine.

:whs::whs:

Just remember to use a pure wax, not an all in one or cleaner type wax. The solvents are much to hard on fresh paint initially. Use Souveran always worked for me !

dontsleeponit
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM
what did you have done purple? I hope it was something you wanted done, like rear insert painted or something, and not something you needed done, like something from an accident.

Spice red is SWEET, did the shop match the paint well?

Id go with the plain carnuba wax like others suggested.

purplenurple
09-26-2007, 06:15 PM
what did you have done purple? I hope it was something you wanted done, like rear insert painted or something, and not something you needed done, like something from an accident.

Spice red is SWEET, did the shop match the paint well?

Id go with the plain carnuba wax like others suggested.

Unfortunatelly it was the 2nd one...
I got hit in the bumper/fender. They had 1 or 2 bad attempts at matching, but now I cant tell that anything has been done. It looks good, but its not 'new' anymore, ya know?

I got my grilles painted satin black, and the guy tinted my sidemarkers tho.

Ill post pictures on the gto forum tomorow. If you want to see my thread search for threads by me in the appearence/detailing section. Theres pictures.

Anyways, I washed the car and just dryed the bumper using a damp MF w/a spray of QD. Hope that there are no ill effects, but Ill be getting some Megs #5 per recommendation.

dontsleeponit
09-26-2007, 06:27 PM
damn that sucks to hear man, I know what you mean about it not being new, I had the somewhat common paint stain problem from the factory. They offered to paint my car, but I said no ill just live with them, and I got them mostly out with a heat gun, but I still know theyre there, and I can see them.

Glad to hear they got the paint matched right though, and the grills and the sidemarkers are a plus too. Cant wait to see pics, I have spice red envy:D

My friend is looking for a GTO, and spice red is one of the few colors he wants, I really want him to get it, after seeing it in person a few times now it looks sick on the car.