PDA

View Full Version : Wax Streaks? need help

Pages : [1] 2

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Hey guys.

I have a black f-150. A month ago I washed it (2 bucket method), clayed it, used Chemical Guys sealant, then a coat of meguiars black wax.

Everything went well until I was applying the black wax. I put too much on and didn't let it dry long enough.

While wiping it off it kept leaving a residue that would leave streaks on my car like grease. It wouldn't come off and gives an awful reflection in the sun. if you wipe it in one direction, the streaks move with the direction of the wipe.

It was late in the day so I left it on there and figured I'd just try and wash it again next week.

Well I got busy and havent washed it for a month. Just washed it with Megiars gold class.. just dried it .. and now those same streaks are there.

Did i scratch/ruin my paint while trying to remove the wax the first time? (mind you i was using brand new microfiber towels to remove wax.. could it still ruin it)?
Or is this just caked on so much its going to take awhile to get off of there?

EzyBrzy
11-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Maybe you didn't give enough time for the sealant to cure before adding the wax?

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Maybe you didn't give enough time for the sealant to cure before adding the wax?

I could see that happening, i mean i went straight into it after wiping the sealant away... So the wax mixed with the sealant, then sealed?

EzyBrzy
11-28-2015, 02:04 PM
I believe the standard is ~12 hours for sealant to cure.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
11-28-2015, 02:06 PM
I could see that happening, i mean i went straight into it after wiping the sealant away... So the wax mixed with the sealant, then sealed?

More than likely the issue. Depending on manufacturers recommendations, I try and let a sealant cure for a 'minimum of 4 hours' before applying another coat or a thin layer of wax.

FUNX650
11-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Meguiar's Black Wax is an AIO/Cleaner-Wax.

•And...Since it has abrasives...
-It's wreaking havoc on the Sealant.
-It's also not doing itself any favors, either!

Bob

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 02:09 PM
More than likely the issue. Depending on manufacturers recommendations, I try and let a sealant cure for a 'minimum of 4 hours' before applying another coat or a thin layer of wax.

oh wow ok. huge rookie mistake lol. So how do i undo all of this? dawn wash, and do it over?

Any chance this is scratches in the paint?

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Bob

i'm unfamiliar with the "aio/cleaner-wax" (new to the detailing world as this is the first nice car i've owned)

so basically i should not use this in conjunction with the chemical guys sealant.

Should i not be using the black wax at all?

Corey@OptimalDetailing
11-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Bob

This.

oh wow ok. huge rookie mistake lol. So how do i undo all of this? dawn wash, and do it over?

What Chemical Guys sealant was used? I wouldn't be concerned with scratches or damage to the paint just yet, lets worry about getting the product removed and re-applying first! :xyxthumbs:

EzyBrzy
11-28-2015, 02:13 PM
i'm unfamiliar with the "aio/cleaner-wax" (new to the detailing world as this is the first nice car i've owned)

so basically i should not use this in conjunction with the chemical guys sealant.

Should i not be using the black wax at all?

I never understand any of this guys posts lol but I think he's trying to hint at using an AIO to strip your sealant/wax.

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 02:16 PM
This.

What Chemical Guys sealant was used? I wouldn't be concerned with scratches or damage to the paint just yet, lets worry about getting the product removed and re-applying first! :xyxthumbs:

Chemical Guy's - Jetseal
Chemical Guys - JetSeal Sealant and Paint Protectant (16 oz) (http://www.chemicalguys.com/JetSeal_16_oz_p/wac_118_16.htm)

FUNX650
11-28-2015, 02:27 PM
oh wow ok. huge rookie mistake lol.
So how do i undo all of this?

dawn wash...

No...that will not do the trick!!

Instead:
A mild polish like Meguiar's M205 will
remove both the AIO and the Sealant.

Afterwards:
Apply the Sealant, and I'd call it a day.
But if applying a Wax on top of the Sealant
is your goal: Apply one that has no abrasives.

An inspection light/overhead-Sun can reveal
if there are any scratches, or not.

Bob

myblackcar
11-28-2015, 02:31 PM
No...that will not do the trick!!

Instead:
A mild polish like Meguiar's M205 will
remove both the AIO and the Sealant..

Can this be done by hand?

Mantilgh
11-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Claying usually does a good job of removing what's left of a wax. I not sure if it works as well for sealants but it probably will since it was compromised.

Edit: Or a light polish like said above would do it and most will suggest polishing after clay anyway.

FUNX650
11-28-2015, 02:35 PM
I never understand any of this guys posts lol but I think he's trying to hint at using an AIO to strip your sealant/wax.
No, guy, that's not it.

When the OP attempted to apply an AIO on top
of a Sealant...its abrasives acted the same as
the abrasives in an abrasive polish would act:
They tried to "clean the surface"---a surface that
was sealed with a Sealant---not the vehicle's
paint surface.

Thus:
The OP was faced with unsatisfactory results,
such as: streaking.

Bob