PDA

View Full Version : FLEX XC 3401 first options?

Pages : [1] 2 3

7PaintGuns
11-28-2015, 09:06 AM
So I ordered my pink FLEX XC 3401 last night and I need some help with what size plates and pads to buy. I've been reading quite a bit on the subject but I have specific techniques and needs. I purchased the Flex to assist with finishing, mostly on black and really dark colors to eliminate holograms. At the moment my only machine is the Dewalt DWP839. I am very proficient with the Dewalt using a 7" backing plate with the 3 step 3M pad and compound/polish system and I will still use them for removing sanding scratches and initial correction. Daily basis usage is usually for entire panel wet sanding that is usually blocked with 1500/2000 grit paper followed by 3000. If I am used to the 8" 3M wool, polish and finishing pads do you think I really need to go smaller with the pads for the Flex? Would it be a mistake to put a 7" 3M backing plate on the flex? I was looking at the 6.5" pads from LC but from most of the posts I've read people prefer the 5" pads but I'm not sure if that's because they are better for first step paint correction. Please give me your thoughts, thanks!

RFrommann
11-28-2015, 09:19 AM
I use rotary with 8" wool pad for heavy cut or spot cutting.

And I also use a pink flex. I just feel that 5.5" pads feel "at home" on the machine. I purchased the 4 3/8" plate so I can use 5 and 5.5 pads.
Occasionally I will use the factory plate with griots boss 6.5 microfiber cut pads or their orange cut pads.

Not to mention 5.5 Vs 6.5 are about 10-15 bucks cheaper per 6 pack of Lake country.

I don't think 3m makes a backing plate for the flex 3401

WRAPT C5Z06
11-28-2015, 09:26 AM
8" 3M wool pad is meant to be used with rotaries. If you want to use a wool pad, go with the LC hybrid wool pad. You cannot use a 7" backing plate with the 3401. As far as foam, I'd go with the LC thin pro. The orange, white and black use the same foam as the thicker LC hybrid foam pads. The LC thin pro line incorporates a new grey heavy cut pad.

7PaintGuns
11-28-2015, 09:42 AM
I just feel that 5.5" pads feel "at home" on the machine. I purchased the 4 3/8" plate so I can use 5 and 5.5 pads.

Not to mention 5.5 Vs 6.5 are about 10-15 bucks cheaper per 6 pack of Lake country.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for! The "4 Inch Changeable Backing Plate System will allow you to use 4 and 5 inch pads", does the 3/8" extra ont the 4 3/8" make that much of a difference for the 5.5" pad?

8" 3M wool pad is meant to be used with rotaries. If you want to use a wool pad, go with the LC hybrid wool pad. You cannot use a 7" backing plate with the 3401. As far as foam, I'd go with the LC thin pro. The orange, white and black use the same foam as the thicker LC hybrid foam pads. The LC thin pro line incorporates a new grey heavy cut pad.

Thanks! Was just saying that's the size I'm used to. Why do you like the thinner pad?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks! Was just saying that's the size I'm used to. Why do you like the thinner pad?
Thicker pads are better with the 3401 if the foam is not dense(meg's yellow thin foam for example). The hybrid line uses dense foam, so thin or thick will work. I just prefer the thin. Plus, the thin pro line incorporated a grey heavy cut pad which isn't available in the hydrid line.

Audios S6
11-28-2015, 10:43 AM
As above, lake country backing plate for the flex along with 5" hybrid pads. If just using for finishing, get some white and black pads. Also consider purchasing menzerna sf 3500 or 3800 if 3m superfina is
not working for you.

Superfina was meant as a rotary only polish, but was used by many on the DA as a jewelling step, it's likely you can get jewelling type results, but not likely to get much cut from it, better to go with sf 3500. There's an awesome thread by mike@dedicated perfection about his method with the flex, hybrid pads and menzerna; it's widely used and works wonders.

7PaintGuns
11-28-2015, 11:29 AM
As above, lake country backing plate for the flex along with 5" hybrid pads. If just using for finishing, get some white and black pads. Also consider purchasing menzerna sf 3500 or 3800 if 3m superfina is
not working for you.

Superfina was meant as a rotary only polish, but was used by many on the DA as a jewelling step, it's likely you can get jewelling type results, but not likely to get much cut from it, better to go with sf 3500. There's an awesome thread by mike@dedicated perfection about his method with the flex, hybrid pads and menzerna; it's widely used and works wonders.

I love the superfina but I feel like its does a lot of filling and washes off fairly quickly. I was just reading about the Menzerna 3000 and 4000 and reviewing the Menzerna/LC pad chart and noticed it didn't have the 3500 or 3800 which I thought was odd. I plan on doing a 3M VS Menzerna side by side total step comparison and a rotary vs flex comparison as well. Now I just need to find Menzerna equivalent products that I can 3 step. Comparison will be done on fresh paint.

EDIT: Oh great, I see Menzerna has changed the numbers... I need a break!

Mike Phillips
11-28-2015, 11:47 AM
8" 3M wool pad is meant to be used with rotaries. If you want to use a wool pad, go with the LC hybrid wool pad.

Actuallly, one of the strongest recommendations I make in my new boat detailing book is to use a 7.5" wool polishing pad on the Flex 3401.

This combo gives you GREAT cutting for removing oxidation of gel-coat boats while leaving a high gloss finish without the holograms. PLUS wool pads are tuff as nails so they last a long time.

These are things that are really important for anyone detailing boats but you can use a wool pad on a Flex 3401 for the same reasons, that is great cutting and no holograms.

:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
11-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Actuallly, one of the strongest recommendations I make in my new boat detailing book is to use a 7.5" wool polishing pad on the Flex 3401.

This combo gives you GREAT cutting for removing oxidation of gel-coat boats while leaving a high gloss finish without the holograms. PLUS wool pads are tuff as nails so they last a long time.

These are things that are really important for anyone detailing boats but you can use a wool pad on a Flex 3401 for the same reasons, that is great cutting and no holograms.

:xyxthumbs:
I was referring to twisted wool. Should have been more specific. Do you feel a twisted wool pad will cut very well on the 3401?

Boejoula
11-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Might be off topic a little bit can I ask; how is the flex 3401 with a LC puprle hybrid wool pad at getting out wets sanding marks? Or should this always be done with a rotary?

Audios S6
11-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Might be off topic a little bit can I ask; how is the flex 3401 with a LC puprle hybrid wool pad at getting out wets sanding marks? Or should this always be done with a rotary?

I think Richy uses a tuff buff black wool pad on this 3401 with great success. For serious correction with the flex I use surbuf pads, but they are kinda antiquated with the advent of MF pads...I can't bring myself to get rid of them and they work a bit better for me on the flex than MF pads.

Audios S6
11-28-2015, 02:53 PM
I love the superfina but I feel like its does a lot of filling and washes off fairly quickly. I was just reading about the Menzerna 3000 and 4000 and reviewing the Menzerna/LC pad chart and noticed it didn't have the 3500 or 3800 which I thought was odd. I plan on doing a 3M VS Menzerna side by side total step comparison and a rotary vs flex comparison as well. Now I just need to find Menzerna equivalent products that I can 3 step. Comparison will be done on fresh paint.

EDIT: Oh great, I see Menzerna has changed the numbers... I need a break!

3500=old sf 4000
3800= old sf 4500

For a fair comparison (that is 3M tech to Menz's old tech)
Perfect-It 1=PG1000
Perfect-It 2=IP2000
Perfect-it 3=FF3000 or SF4500/3800

For a not-so-fair comparison (that is 3M tech to Menz's current tech)
Perfect-It 1=FG400 or SC300
Perfect-It 2=PF2500 or
Perfect-it 3=SF4000/3500 or SF4500/3800

I'd go with menzerna's current tech, they are more expensive but they are amazing performers. In most cases, you could go straight from FG400 to SF4000, no need to make it a 3 step process like you do with 3M.

Boejoula
11-28-2015, 03:03 PM
To answer the OP, these are the compounds I picked up to use with the flex and the lake county hybrid pads. From what I hear, this will cover almost anything you need to do. Purple, orange, white, and black pads.

Compound
Meguiars ultra cut 105
Menzerma Heavy cut 400

Polish
Menzerna medium cut polish 2500
Menzerna super finish 3500

I'll wait for more to chime in about the wet sanding part.

7PaintGuns
11-28-2015, 05:41 PM
3500=old sf 4000
3800= old sf 4500

For a fair comparison (that is 3M tech to Menz's old tech)
Perfect-It 1=PG1000
Perfect-It 2=IP2000
Perfect-it 3=FF3000 or SF4500/3800

For a not-so-fair comparison (that is 3M tech to Menz's current tech)
Perfect-It 1=FG400 or SC300
Perfect-It 2=PF2500 or
Perfect-it 3=SF4000/3500 or SF4500/3800

I'd go with menzerna's current tech, they are more expensive but they are amazing performers. In most cases, you could go straight from FG400 to SF4000, no need to make it a 3 step process like you do with 3M.
Wow that's great info really saved me some time. You mentioned "current tech", 3m has supposedly come out with some new compounds and polishes. The 3m rep is supposed to be coming by for a demo but I haven't heard anything yet. I'll ask on Monday.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-29-2015, 02:22 AM
I saw this thread with a few questions and will weigh in when I have more time.

(Going out of town today)