PDA

View Full Version : Pad Washer Question

java
11-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Which is a better pad washer Grit Gaurd or the Lake Country? I have 4" pads to the 9" pads sizes.

ski2
11-26-2015, 08:10 AM
This one works great for $15 http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/93286-my-ghetto-pad-washer.html

Watch the video.

Paul A.
11-26-2015, 08:43 AM
I love that thing ski! Well, truth be told...the music hooked me too.

Boejoula
11-26-2015, 09:03 AM
I was reading an article that said the LC pad washer doesn't fit the Flex properly due to the larger gear head. Very disappointed and unsure what pad washer to get because I'm planning to get the new Flex XCE when it comes out.

David Hayward
11-26-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm going to toss out my thoughts on pad washers here. No idea if anyone else agrees, but I run my business on the side and do 1-2 cars a week cleaning about 12-20 pads a week. I don't clean my pads as I work, I prefer to just have a ton of them to use and I clean at the end.

I've tried all kinds of cleaning products and the bucket grit guard pad washers. In the end I have found it faster and more enjoyable and more thorough to just clean them by hand.

I have the dp pad cleaner in the jar and I mix that up in a bucket and soak the pads for 10-15 min and then bring them to the wash tub to clean under warm-hot water. I've experienced maybe one pad fail by separating from the hook and loop material with this method but keeping in mind the pad was about 2 years old and had been used on countless cars.

My best advice is to clean your pads as soon as you are done with the vehicle. I've found that a good amount of my pads can come clean with warm water only if you get to them before your products dry up in them.

So my recommendation is get the dp pad cleaner concentrate, mix it up in your bucket and soak pads for a little bit. Head to the sink and clean and rinse and I also keep on hand a bottle of Wolfgang pad cleaner for any more stubborn pads. Save yourself some money on a pad cleaner and try this method out.

This is all my opinion from trial and error and people may not agree, just wanted to give you an opinion from someone who has tried many options.

David Hayward
11-26-2015, 09:54 AM
I suppose the pad washers could be good if you don't have many pads and want to clean as you work. Again though, I'll say I spend the same amount of time with my method as I did with the pad washer. And as asked above also the flex 3401 doesn't fit perfect into it but it can still be used. Makes a little more of a mess because you can't close the cover all the way and some water can splash out.

Boejoula
11-26-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm going to toss out my thoughts on pad washers here. No idea if anyone else agrees, but I run my business on the side and do 1-2 cars a week cleaning about 12-20 pads a week. I don't clean my pads as I work, I prefer to just have a ton of them to use and I clean at the end.

I've tried all kinds of cleaning products and the bucket grit guard pad washers. In the end I have found it faster and more enjoyable and more thorough to just clean them by hand.

I have the dp pad cleaner in the jar and I mix that up in a bucket and soak the pads for 10-15 min and then bring them to the wash tub to clean under warm-hot water. I've experienced maybe one pad fail by separating from the hook and loop material with this method but keeping in mind the pad was about 2 years old and had been used on countless cars.

My best advice is to clean your pads as soon as you are done with the vehicle. I've found that a good amount of my pads can come clean with warm water only if you get to them before your products dry up in them.

So my recommendation is get the dp pad cleaner concentrate, mix it up in your bucket and soak pads for a little bit. Head to the sink and clean and rinse and I also keep on hand a bottle of Wolfgang pad cleaner for any more stubborn pads. Save yourself some money on a pad cleaner and try this method out.

This is all my opinion from trial and error and people may not agree, just wanted to give you an opinion from someone who has tried many options.

This sounds like the best idea I've heard. The LC pad cleaner is ~$175. That's a lot of pads to have on hand and wash them all at home/shop in the sink.

Thanks for this post.

java
11-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Coopers ST
12-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Does anyone else not just toss them in the cloths washer with towels?

GSKR
12-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Does anyone else not just toss them in the cloths washer with towels?

I wash separate you don't want that lingering product to get on window towels.

Coopers ST
12-08-2015, 10:17 PM
I wash separate you don't want that lingering product to get on window towels.

Good point. On my pads I spray a pad cleaner on them, brush them, then "clean on the fly" method with a terry towel. Then into the dirty pad towel box they go.

bluefire
12-11-2015, 11:33 AM
what pad cleaner and brush do you use to clean them?

larry33
12-11-2015, 12:31 PM
As to your original question, I like the Grit Guard version better than the Lake Country version for what its worth

EzyBrzy
12-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I throw my pads in a bucket filled with warm water and chemical guys pad cleaner. Let it soak then pull them out and scrub with pad brush. Spray extra pad cleaner for more soiled pads. Then rinse off and toss on polisher and spin some of the water out.

Coopers ST
12-11-2015, 03:07 PM
what pad cleaner and brush do you use to clean them?

Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-pad-cleaner.html)

Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads. (http://www.autogeek.net/padtool.html)