PDA

View Full Version : A moment of silence or will this buff out?

Pages : [1] 2

irvsmith
11-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Couldn't decide what I should title this thread but I guess I am posting here because this is the group who can understand my pain at a different level.

My family was rear ended this afternoon and while all seem ok other than shaken up - my rear bumper etc look a bit worse.

Gonna go through the insurance process. Should I ask for certain things - parts, paint, process?

Anyway another reason to be thankful this Thanksgiving.

7PaintGuns
11-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Just make sure your rental gets paid for and they use oem parts. Always remember you can take you car to any shop of your choosing. If you want you could upload the repair order and I can check for any shortcuts. Cars can be replaced, people can't. Glad everyone is ok!

irvsmith
11-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Just make sure your rental gets paid for and they use oem parts. Always remember you can take you car to any shop of your choosing. If you want you could upload the repair order and I can check for any shortcuts. Cars can be replaced, people can't. Glad everyone is ok!

Thanks. Will do.

Boejoula
11-25-2015, 11:36 PM
That might need a good wet sanding..

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-26-2015, 02:31 AM

:iagree:

Ebg18t
11-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Find a good paint shop, ask around. (I failed at this, the recommended shop was backed up 4 months. I went with a Porsche/Audi/VW Factory certified shop that was only 3 weeks backed up. I should have waited to save myself frustration.)

OEM parts only. (I asked to see the invoice for the parts used on my repair to insure it was OEM)

Refuse to accept anything less than perfect. (I refused to accept my Touareg 5x as I felt they could have done better work since they were a factory certified shop)

Tell them what you want and what you expect from the beginning. Communication is key.

Know the in-outs of your insurance policy beforehand. My insurance policy permitted for an $99/day reimbursement for rental. Enterprise tried to stuff me in a little Hyundai saying my policy only covered $29/day. You have to be prepared at all steps of the process.

7PaintGuns
11-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Tell them what you want and what you expect from the beginning. Communication is key.

Know the in-outs of your insurance policy beforehand. My insurance policy permitted for an $99/day reimbursement for rental. Enterprise tried to stuff me in a little Hyundai saying my policy only covered $29/day. You have to be prepared at all steps of the process.

Very good advice. He was hit so its THEIR insurance not his. Make their insurance pay for your rental. Your collision center should take care of all of this for you. You can also ask to see the completed vehicles at the shop and inspect them before you even give them your keys. Like I said you were hit. You shouldn't have to do anything and make sure they know that! If you feel as if you are being treated unfairly contact you insurance adjuster and you can always send me a PM. I deal with agents and adjusters on a daily/weekly basis. If any one here has a problem with collision repair especially concerning an insurance company problem and getting a proper repair I am always available to help. I've learned so much here in such a short time I'm always willing give back what I've received.

irvsmith
11-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Very good advice. He was hit so its THEIR insurance not his. Make their insurance pay for your rental. Your collision center should take care of all of this for you. You can also ask to see the completed vehicles at the shop and inspect them before you even give them your keys. Like I said you were hit. You shouldn't have to do anything and make sure they know that! If you feel as if you are being treated unfairly contact you insurance adjuster and you can always send me a PM. I deal with agents and adjusters on a daily/weekly basis. If any one here has a problem with collision repair especially concerning an insurance company problem and getting a proper repair I am always available to help. I've learned so much here in such a short time I'm always willing give back what I've received.

Very generous of you! Thank you!

irvsmith
11-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Find a good paint shop, ask around. (I failed at this, the recommended shop was backed up 4 months. I went with a Porsche/Audi/VW Factory certified shop that was only 3 weeks backed up. I should have waited to save myself frustration.)

OEM parts only. (I asked to see the invoice for the parts used on my repair to insure it was OEM)

Refuse to accept anything less than perfect. (I refused to accept my Touareg 5x as I felt they could have done better work since they were a factory certified shop)

Thank you. They mentioned something about equal size and functions but at $25/day. I will make sure it is on the other guy's insurance.

irvsmith
11-26-2015, 09:58 AM
That might need a good wet sanding..

Indeed and PDR! Lol

Ebg18t
11-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Very good advice. He was hit so its THEIR insurance not his. Make their insurance pay for your rental. Your collision center should take care of all of this for you. You can also ask to see the completed vehicles at the shop and inspect them before you even give them your keys. Like I said you were hit. You shouldn't have to do anything and make sure they know that! If you feel as if you are being treated unfairly contact you insurance adjuster .

Thank you. They mentioned something about equal size and functions but at $25/day. I will make sure it is on the other guy's insurance.

My insurance went to the other company to provide me a larger vehicle at their expense since I refused to drive a small econobox.

As I mentioned earlier make sure you know the ins-outs of your policy. Very rarely do people utilize all the benefits of a policy. Usually we just see the shortfalls of the policy.

Munich77
11-26-2015, 11:38 PM
That sucks big time - at least everyone is okay. Getting it fixed will hopefully not be a pain..

LSNAutoDetailing
11-27-2015, 06:29 AM

Also, as 7 paint guns states, make sure your insurance adjuster sees the car BEFORE the body shop starts working on it. Many INS companies that offer coverage in MA will deny rental claim (regardless of fault) if the work has started on the car before the adjuster can see the car.

Ask the body shop how long you should wait before waxing/sealing/coating that area. Some are 30, 60 or even 90 days. The body repair shop doing the work would know best.

irvsmith
12-01-2015, 11:27 PM
OK so after getting a lackadaisical response from the first body shop I called to the next on the list and boy the response was night and day. They had an appointment available that day, very professional service, and picked up by the rental company at the body shop. I asked to ensure the parts are OEM parts and when I get the repair estimate I will post to the list for your input.

Thanks again for your guidance and support.

shagnat
12-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Couldn't decide what I should title this thread but I guess I am posting here because this is the group who can understand my pain at a different level.

My family was rear ended this afternoon and while all seem ok other than shaken up - my rear bumper etc look a bit worse.

Gonna go through the insurance process. Should I ask for certain things - parts, paint, process?

Anyway another reason to be thankful this Thanksgiving.
Showed you picture to my good friend who is a professional 30 yr body man... ain't gonna' buff out....will need to be repainted at a minimum..... not sure about part(s) replacement as he could tell from the picture.
Some of your options will be determined by the other person's insurance company.
FYI, my former boss had a situation where her front windshield needed to be replaced, she insisted on OEM parts but had to pay the $100 additional for OEM.... don't know if this will apply, just saying no one should throw a blanket answer over your situation. Of course you should inquire about all the mentioned issues, but, I would be a little nice but a lot firm since it's likely you were NOT at fault. Not all rear-end accidents are the other driver's fault. That's from personal experience..... didn't read it in a book :).
Best of luck.