PDA

View Full Version : CQUARTZ info

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
CQuartz was the first coating I tried about three years ago. Long story short the caps on the bottles were bad. Not knowing better I tried it and ended up with a nightmare. AG made good on it, but I went with a different coating. I haven't touched the stuff since. With the introduction of essence I decided to give it another go. I'm coming across different flash times. To avoid any issues could someone who uses this product regularly please give me the proper amount of time to wait before buffing? I've read 3-5 minutes and 1-2 minutes. I would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

vobro
11-25-2015, 08:43 PM
It'll depend on temp/humidity. I used CQ Classic twice at 70 degrees and the flash time was 4 minutes. I just recently used again at 55 and waited 9 minutes, at 4 minutes it was just smearing at wipe off. Your best bet is to do a 2'x2' test spot and you want to feel slight resistance when removing. Just a side note you do have a window, when I say 4 minutes it's not going to become impossible to remove at 5 or 8 minutes. Don't forget to change out your removal towel after a panel or two. CQ and UK are my favorite coatings but it's hard to beat the ease of Gloss Coat.

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 08:48 PM
It'll depend on temp/humidity. I used CQ Classic twice at 70 degrees and the flash time was 4 minutes. I just recently used again at 55 and waited 9 minutes, at 4 minutes it was just smearing at wipe off. Your best bet is to do a 2'x2' test spot and you want to feel slight resistance when removing. Just a side note you do have a window, when I say 4 minutes it's not going to become impossible to remove at 5 or 8 minutes. Don't forget to change out your removal towel after a panel or two. CQ and UK are my favorite coatings but it's hard to beat the ease of Gloss Coat.

Thanks, I'll definitely be doing a test spot. Last time I did the whole hood...wasn't fun.
I thought I read they just came out with a newer version that is supposed to flash faster.

vobro
11-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes it does flach faster than the original. CQ also will darken the paint some, not sure if you know that. I've used it on jet black, reds and metallics and it does really add a luster to the paint and highlights the flake.

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes it does flach faster than the original. CQ also will darken the paint some, not sure if you know that. I've used it on jet black, reds and metallics and it does really add a luster to the paint and highlights the flake.

Good to know. I'll be using it on my nightfall gray metallic paint. Have you used it with essence yet? I've used several coatings since then including C1 and EXO combo which is one of the more difficult. Since it's a new car I want to get as much information, and take every possible precaution.

GSKR
11-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Ditto

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys!

vobro
11-25-2015, 09:09 PM
I haven't used it with Essence yet but looking forward too. CQ is easy once you get the removal time down, it's no different than using a wax or sealant in that if you remove early it'll smear and streak or wait to long you'll encounter resistance.

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
I've used several coatings since that time. It should be fairly easy to get the timing down. I've used C1/EXO many times, those change drastically with temperature and humidity changes. I don't foresee any issues. Just want to take every precaution I can. Still have kind of a bad taste from that first experience lol

cardaddy
11-25-2015, 11:08 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but anyone tried Migliore Ultimo yet?

They've offered it to me, (and probably most of us) just haven't seen anyone talk about it.

AG used to sell the (lesser) Strata coating, but closed it out on BOGO almost 2 years ago, haven't seen it since. The discussions on it then were not too inviting either. :dunno:

Znig22
11-25-2015, 11:15 PM
I tried essence today and was not at all impressed.

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 11:53 PM
I tried essence today and was not at all impressed.

I did a test spot on my hood using their gloss pad. The hood was already polished with 3D polish. I didn't see any difference, but it was on perfectly polished paint. I get the feeling this product is more for production detailing. You can get the perfect looking finish in much less time.

DaveT435
11-25-2015, 11:55 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but anyone tried Migliore Ultimo yet?

They've offered it to me, (and probably most of us) just haven't seen anyone talk about it.

AG used to sell the (lesser) Strata coating, but closed it out on BOGO almost 2 years ago, haven't seen it since. The discussions on it then were not too inviting either. :dunno:

I've heard the name...that's about the extent of it.