PDA

View Full Version : Coating Durability?

jakeclk
11-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Hello all,

I am considering taking the dive into coatings. Based on the posts of many, I can see many of you are big-time fans. To all who have applied one or more coatings over the past few years:

1. How have your coating(s) performed over the months and years (gloss, beading, sheeting, slickness)?
2. How long did it last before you felt the need to redo it?
3. Which brand(s) have you used?
4. Which brand(s) do you prefer?

Thanks.

top189h
11-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Cquk applied April 2013, I did 3 thick layers, and it's still going. I hit it every once in a while with a finishing polish and then wipe down with eraser or I have just used meguiars da finishing wax, and so far it is still working great. Though I do occasionally top with some wax if we are about to get a lot of rain to help prevent spotting. On my mom's car, it was done in June 2013 and still going strong with no boosters and a single layer There hasn't been another reason for me to try another coating.

builthatch
11-25-2015, 04:36 PM
I did 3 thick layers

how do you do a thick layer vs. a thin layer?

Mike lambert
11-25-2015, 04:44 PM
I can't mention the brand , but did the wife's car a little over a year ago. Outside 24/7 , washed about once a month and it is still going strong. I will never wax any of my cars and about 90 percent of my business is coatings. Pm me or look at my website if you want to know what brand.
Theshineshopautodetailing.com

Chris Thomas
11-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Prep is the most important part of coating your car. Then pick a great, well known coating and you're all set. Just be sure not to use a polish with oils and fillers pre coating or it will inhibit the bond.

7.3powerstroke
11-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Prep is the most important part of coating your car. Then pick a great, well known coating and you're all set. Just be sure not to use a polish with oils and fillers pre coating or it will inhibit the bond.

Essensce would be an exception, right?

SonOfOC
11-25-2015, 07:07 PM
I don't think Essence would be an exception for "all" the coatings in the market place, but all coatings, without exception could benefit from a surgical clean paint surface that is free from oils and fillers. Chris Thomas's statement is great advice considering the plethora of coatings available.

Essensce would be an exception, right?

top189h
11-25-2015, 11:20 PM
It's hard to describe. As you wipe it on, if it's thin it kind of disappears, if its thick you can see the product. It wasn't like I poured it on, but I used a good bit more than I needed. Maybe a waste, maybe not I'm not sure.

EzyBrzy
11-26-2015, 01:37 AM
Cquk applied April 2013, I did 3 thick layers, and it's still going. I hit it every once in a while with a finishing polish and then wipe down with eraser or I have just used meguiars da finishing wax, and so far it is still working great. Though I do occasionally top with some wax if we are about to get a lot of rain to help prevent spotting. On my mom's car, it was done in June 2013 and still going strong with no boosters and a single layer There hasn't been another reason for me to try another coating.

You can top coatings with wax?

Chris Thomas
11-26-2015, 01:47 AM
You can top coatings with wax?

You can top coatings with anything...it just usually won't last long because the nature of coatings is to reduce the ability of things to stick.

top189h
11-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Absolutely, it is no different than using something like reload. I just use dodo juice waxes because I love using them and have plenty to use. I see about 4-6 months on bare paint but a month tops on coated paint. Like I said before though, it serves no direct purpose for me other than it does prevent some spotting issues.