PDA

View Full Version : Should I go Gloss Coat?

Pages : [1] 2

BTLew81
11-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Never used a coating, but with the current sale on gloss coat, I am thinking of getting a tube for my dd accord.

10cc enough?

Someone talk me into this....or out. :)

GenesisCoupe
11-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Get it. Car will look great!

builthatch
11-24-2015, 11:09 PM
absolutely enough...more than enough, actually. do it!

it's so easy to use.

BTLew81
11-24-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm being persuaded. Eraser or just IPA before the coating? Anything else I should know?

An old pro with wax and sealant, so don't think the questions are foolish. Lol. Thinking of using the LC coating applicator. Good call?

FUNX650
11-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Never used a coating,
but with the current sale on gloss coat,

Someone talk me into this....or out. :)

I'm being persuaded.

Eraser or just IPA before the coating?
Anything else I should know?

I want to start-off my post with a prayer request
for our fellow AGO forum member BTLew81...

Bob

The Critic
11-25-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm being persuaded. Eraser or just IPA before the coating? Anything else I should know?

An old pro with wax and sealant, so don't think the questions are foolish. Lol. Thinking of using the LC coating applicator. Good call?
Use Carpro's block and suede applicator. Or Optimum's version of it.

No need for IPA. Polish using Hyper Polish or Primer Polish, then do a wipedown using ONR blue at normal wash diction.

FUNX650
11-25-2015, 12:23 AM
No need for IPA. Polish using Hyper Polish or Primer Polish, then do a wipedown using ONR blue at normal wash diction.

Optimum Gloss-Coat...
Directions:

1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or
Optimum Hyper Polish to remove any defects.

2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution
to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.

Bob

The Critic
11-25-2015, 01:41 AM
Optimum Gloss-Coat...
Directions:

1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or
Optimum Hyper Polish to remove any defects.

2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution
to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.

Bob
A conversation with Dr. G or an optimum rep will confirm what I posted above. IPA wipedown is not necessary when optimum polishes are used for the correction process. But when other brand polishes are used, then the optimum paint prep product or IPA should be used.

FUNX650
11-25-2015, 06:37 AM
A conversation with Dr. G or an optimum rep
will confirm what I posted above.

IPA wipedown is not necessary when optimum
polishes are used for the correction process.

But when other brand polishes are used,
then the optimum paint prep product
or IPA should be used.
•Yea...I've heard all of this before.

•Could become quite confusing, especially for
a person attempting their first time Coating
application...such as is the case with the OP.
-A person shouldn't have to jump through
so many hoops in order to apply a Coating.

•Is the Optimum Paint Prep product
now available for everyone?

Bob

Setec Astronomy
11-25-2015, 07:20 AM
•Is the Optimum Paint Prep product
now available for everyone?

Yes, it was introduced at SEMA (not to be confused with Primer that The Critic mentioned that is a pro-only product). The new Optimum products don't seem to be available here yet, but this could be used instead: Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-perfekt-finish-paint-prep.html)

Dereksdtail
11-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Awesome product,easy and durable

boomdone
11-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Yes, it was introduced at SEMA (not to be confused with Primer that The Critic mentioned that is a pro-only product). The new Optimum products don't seem to be available here yet, but this could be used instead: Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-perfekt-finish-paint-prep.html)

I also saw somewhere that Optimum introduced a 'new and improved' version of Gloss Coat at SEMA. I'm guessing the AGO version is the old version.

BTLew81
11-25-2015, 10:34 AM
this is good to know...perhaps I should hold off!

silverfox
11-25-2015, 12:21 PM
The new version has not been released yet. It's got a three year life, even easier and glossier than old version at same price. I'd hold off for it for sure. In fact I'd hold off all consumer grade coatings for this product. Big Dr G fan. I'n my experimenting with coatings only one was easier to use and apply on various cars than the old version of gloss coat, and that was 22ple vx3.

BTLew81
11-25-2015, 02:04 PM
and it looks like the primer will be released to consumers too. I'm waiting. Thanks for the info!