PDA

View Full Version : Chinchilla Scratches

7PaintGuns
11-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Has any one experienced the "silk" edges of the Chinchilla microfiber causing light scratches in their paint? I was doing a waterless wash this evening and noticed after drying off a cleaned but still wet portion of my spoiler that it had developed some light but notable scratches. I had gone over the area seconds before and didn't see them but after a second spray and dry I noticed them. Obviously scratches can happen during a waterless wash but I had not noticed any before and this is my first time using these towels.Feed back please

GSKR
11-24-2015, 09:10 PM
I highly don't think those towels due that.Waterless car wash maybe your promblem.

pheerix
11-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I use towels with silk edges for waterless all the time and haven't noticed any problems. I barely use any pressure when wiping so the silk doesn't really contact the paint.

7PaintGuns
11-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I use towels with silk edges for waterless all the time and haven't noticed any problems. I barely use any pressure when wiping so the silk doesn't really contact the paint.

I think that's my problem. I inspected the entire car and all seems fine. The spoiler is small and has 3 sharp body lines. I was thinking I drug the edge across it while doing the decklid.

Kamakaz1961
11-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Has any one experienced the "silk" edges of the Chinchilla microfiber causing light scratches in their paint? I was doing a waterless wash this evening and noticed after drying off a cleaned but still wet portion of my spoiler that it had developed some light but notable scratches. I had gone over the area seconds before and didn't see them but after a second spray and dry I noticed them. Obviously scratches can happen during a waterless wash but I had not noticed any before and this is my first time using these towels.Feed back please

I learned something new with similar MF Towels. IMO it doesn't matter what type of excellent quality MF Towels you use...it's the technique.

What I do now to prevent any scratches is I will fully drench the MF towel I am going to be using for drying in water. I then wring it out to where it is damp to the touch. Try that and see what you think.
I will gently go over the panel I am drying. I usually use the weight of the damp towel itself as it is already heavy from being damp. I usually follow up (right after the damp MF Towel) with a MF Towel with QD sprayed on the towel. That usually takes care of any dry spots and adds protection. I do not spray on the panels with QD/Spray Wax...just the MF towel.
There is also a significantly amount of less "streaking" when you do the QD/Spray Wax MF Towel technique this way.

IMO the damp towel absorbs more water than if it were just dry. I wring it out after a couple of panel wipes.

My Ride is a Black car and just staring at it causes scratches!! But might I suggest the technique I just explained and let me know the difference.

This is the only way I dry my ride and so far (knock on wood) I have no scratches.

Again, as long as you have a great quality MF Towel (which you do) there should be less chances of scratching when drying your ride this way.

The 2 Most important techniques to master in detailing IMO is washing and drying. I got the washing technique down and only recently got the drying technique down.

The rest of the detail process is important (compounding, polishing, wet sanding...etc), however, the wash and dry technique is done more often which is why it is top on my list.

I hope this helps.

AnthonyGXP
11-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Every time you touch paint you are introducing marring/scratches at a microscopic level, it's about using the proper tools and technique to minimize the chances of you seeing them.

7PaintGuns
11-25-2015, 06:18 AM
I learned something new with similar MF Towels. IMO it doesn't matter what type of excellent quality MF Towels you use...it's the technique.

What I do now to prevent any scratches is I will fully drench the MF towel I am going to be using for drying in water. I then wring it out to where it is damp to the touch. Try that and see what you think.
I will gently go over the panel I am drying. I usually use the weight of the damp towel itself as it is already heavy from being damp. I usually follow up (right after the damp MF Towel) with a MF Towel with QD sprayed on the towel. That usually takes care of any dry spots and adds protection. I do not spray on the panels with QD/Spray Wax...just the MF towel.
There is also a significantly amount of less "streaking" when you do the QD/Spray Wax MF Towel technique this way.

IMO the damp towel absorbs more water than if it were just dry. I wring it out after a couple of panel wipes.

My Ride is a Black car and just staring at it causes scratches!! But might I suggest the technique I just explained and let me know the difference.

This is the only way I dry my ride and so far (knock on wood) I have no scratches.

Again, as long as you have a great quality MF Towel (which you do) there should be less chances of scratching when drying your ride this way.

The 2 Most important techniques to master in detailing IMO is washing and drying. I got the washing technique down and only recently got the drying technique down.

The rest of the detail process is important (compounding, polishing, wet sanding...etc), however, the wash and dry technique is done more often which is why it is top on my list.

I hope this helps.

Interesting technique. The QD part is somthing I have done in the past. I will give your entire process a shot today or tomorrow and let you know what I think. Perhaps I was moving to quickly and/or applying to much pressure.

Every time you touch paint you are introducing marring/scratches at a microscopic level, it's about using the proper tools and technique to minimize the chances of you seeing them.

You are 100% correct! I have never really had this problem/concern untill using this type of towell. I've never used one with a "hard" edge before. The vehicles I work on, on a daily basis, are freshly painted and almost all require denib, wet sand and buff. Fresh paint can be very unforgiving. Our customers expect their new paint to look better than any panel on the rest of their car because well, it's brand new! I would say the majority of higher end cars receive a detail with paint correction from a third party on a regular basis. After 12 years painting and growing up surrounded by vintage automotive restoration I have become very confident in my detail process as far as final finish technique. Just seems counter intuitive to have a hard edge on a microfiber lol! And of course all that being said it was a waterless wash which I am new to and could of simply picked up some dirt somewhere...

GSKR
11-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Interesting technique. The QD part is somthing I have done in the past. I will give your entire process a shot today or tomorrow and let you know what I think. Perhaps I was moving to quickly and/or applying to much pressure.

You are 100% correct! I have never really had this problem/concern untill using this type of towell. I've never used one with a "hard" edge before. The vehicles I work on, on a daily basis, are freshly painted and almost all require denib, wet sand and buff. Fresh paint can be very unforgiving. Our customers expect their new paint to look better than any panel on the rest of their car because well, it's brand new! I would say the majority of higher end cars receive a detail with paint correction from a third party on a regular basis. After 12 years painting and growing up surrounded by vintage automotive restoration I have become very confident in my detail process as far as final finish technique. Just seems counter intuitive to have a hard edge on a microfiber lol! And of course all that being said it was a waterless wash which I am new to and could of simply picked up some dirt somewhere...
We need more painters like you who is quality minded.

GSKR
11-25-2015, 09:07 AM
I see this a lot ,but make sure the tags are ripped off.