PDA

View Full Version : M105 Occurance

Pages : [1] 2

A2D Signature
11-24-2015, 01:14 PM
My fiancés cousin just bought an 04 Mustang. He's good to my kids so i decided to restore the paint on his ride.

I used M105 with an Orange LC CCS. After compounding I noticed that it was incredibly shiny and the clarity was spot on. I was moving on to 205 with White. After doing a small section, I noticed that the clarity did not change at all. Didn't get any better. It was beautiful!

Has this happened for anyone before? A compound getting you where you need to be without the polishing? First time it's happened to me.

zmcgovern45
11-24-2015, 01:19 PM
It can happen... not too often, but certainly not impossible.

What sort of environment were you working in? Were you using adequate inspection lighting? What color is the car?

Mantilgh
11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Has this happened for anyone before? A compound getting you where you need to be without the polishing? First time it's happened to me.

Sure, or at least good enough for my eyes and what I was getting paid to do.

I hear of a lot of good compounds or here that finish out really well with the right pad choice. I would assume that this is on mostly harder paints, but it would also depend on the product and pad combo if you can.

I have only used Optimum Compound II. I have not done many but, it finishes really well on hard paints so far for me. I would assume that a polish would enhance the gloss of the finish though.

But like Zach said, lighting and color can make a difference.
Compare the two areas at night under the lights at a gas station some time.

Mantilgh
11-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Oops

Jaretr1
11-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Of all compounds, I am suprised to hear M105 finished so well. It is not a compound that usually finishes flawlessly. I have had that experience with some other compounds, including Wolfgang Uber.

It really depends on the paint because what M105 leaves behind is micro marring which can be very difficult to notice on some paints, and extremely obvious on others (like black or red for instance).

A2D Signature
11-24-2015, 02:02 PM
It can happen... not too often, but certainly not impossible.

What sort of environment were you working in? Were you using adequate inspection lighting? What color is the car?

40 degrees in the garage. Maybe the metal being cool helped? It is grey.

A2D Signature
11-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Sure, or at least good enough for my eyes and what I was getting paid to do.

I hear of a lot of good compounds or here that finish out really well with the right pad choice. I would assume that this is on mostly harder paints, but it would also depend on the product and pad combo.

I have only used Optimum Compound II. I have not done many but, it finishes really well on hard paints so far for me. I would assume that a polish would enhance the gloss of the finish though.

But like Zach said, lighting and color can make a difference.
Compare the two areas at night under the lights at a gas station some time.

You could polish a taped off section, if you didn't, to see the comparison better.

That's what I did after noticing that the polishing didn't refine or improve anything. Taped off, hit with polish again and no difference

Mantilgh
11-24-2015, 02:20 PM
I don't know much about 105 but polishing oils filling maybe? Did you do any kind of wipe down?

A2D Signature
11-24-2015, 02:35 PM
I don't know much about 105 but polishing oils filling maybe? Did you do any kind of wipe down?

Standard IPA

cardaddy
11-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Of all compounds, I am suprised to hear M105 finished so well. It is not a compound that usually finishes flawlessly. I have had that experience with some other compounds, including Wolfgang Uber.

It really depends on the paint because what M105 leaves behind is micro marring which can be very difficult to notice on some paints, and extremely obvious on others (like black or red for instance).

:iagree:with :whs::dblthumb2:

Meguiar's M105 cuts hard, I mean REALLY hard. It usually can't even be worked long enough to "finish down" being as anything more than 4~5 passes and it'll turn to concrete on the surface and be darned near impossible to remove.

Now combine that hard cutting, with an orange pad, with it being a SMAT type abrasive and you're looking for a micro marring festival. ;)

Now being gray or silver metallic it's harder to see for sure. I just find it HARD to fathom that 205 (which works easily 3 times as long) wouldn't have brought out a better finish and improved gloss.

However... were that to be Menzerna FG400, a DAT compound, that works and works and works, all the while the abrasives getting smaller and smaller.... then sure... its been shown to finish down (on a variety of paints) very well. Very well indeed! :)

A2D Signature
11-24-2015, 02:44 PM
:iagree:with :whs::dblthumb2:

Meguiar's M105 cuts hard, I mean REALLY hard. It usually can't even be worked long enough to "finish down" being as anything more than 4~5 passes and it'll turn to concrete on the surface and be darned near impossible to remove.

Now combine that hard cutting, with an orange pad, with it being a SMAT type abrasive and you're looking for a micro marring festival. ;)

Now being gray or silver metallic it's harder to see for sure. I just find it HARD to fathom that 205 (which works easily 3 times as long) wouldn't have brought out a better finish and improved gloss.

However... were that to be Menzerna FG400, a DAT compound, that works and works and works, all the while the abrasives getting smaller and smaller.... then sure... its been shown to finish down (on a variety of paints) very well. Very well indeed! :)

Yeah I think we are going to do the LED test on Saturday. I was actually stumped because it finished so well and I'm not used to it

zmcgovern45
11-24-2015, 03:02 PM
It's all relative, right....

Before Correction
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/BMW%20M6%20Gran%20Coupe/20150921-DSC_6579_zpsebuiumbl.jpg

After compounding with Griot's Fast Correcting Creme on MF Cutting Pad. Looks great, right?
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/BMW%20M6%20Gran%20Coupe/20150921-DSC_6582_zpsam7yxdgp.jpg

After finish polishing with M205 you can clearly see a huge difference under proper lighting at the right angle. This change in color wasn't nearly visible in ambient light or even with inspection lights at a head on angle. LED inspection lighting is a must if you really want to see what's going on, and you've got to have a look at all sorts of angles and directions to be certain you're seeing what you want to be seeing.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/BMW%20M6%20Gran%20Coupe/20150924-DSC_6705_zpsac9oxpxj.jpg

Mantilgh
11-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Wow, great job catching a photo of that.

GSKR
11-24-2015, 08:49 PM
My fiancés cousin just bought an 04 Mustang. He's good to my kids so i decided to restore the paint on his ride.

I used M105 with an Orange LC CCS. After compounding I noticed that it was incredibly shiny and the clarity was spot on. I was moving on to 205 with White. After doing a small section, I noticed that the clarity did not change at all. Didn't get any better. It was beautiful!

Yes it happens but I still continue the polishing process.

Boejoula
11-25-2015, 12:12 AM
I get the same results on the lighter colors but you can definitely see the marring on the black, navy, etc.