PDA

View Full Version : New Photography Article?

zmcgovern45
11-24-2015, 10:05 AM
It's been a couple of years since I put together several photography related articles that seemed to be pretty well received here and on other detailing forums. Photography is certainly something that will help your detailing business excel, and also a great hobby to have outside of detailing (most of my photography is done outside of my detailing work).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/68142-photography-basics-part-1-a.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/72922-photography-basics-part-2-depth-field.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/73193-photography-basics-part-3-exposure-modes.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/76358-photography-basics-part-4-file-formats-post-processing.html

Just curious if anyone has any ideas for new photography related articles... detailing specific or not.

I know cameras are often something that come with the holidays... whether you're using an existing camera to take pictures of friends and family, or you're hoping to get a new camera as a gift, it's always beneficial to know how to use it :)

-Zach

Heisenberg
11-24-2015, 10:19 AM
These helped me a ton when I started taking manual shots with my DSLR. Way easier to understand than most stuff online. I used to do actual 35mm photography and develop in a dark room in high school but I needed that refresher. You also had an article on another site about capturing those sunburst shots that was extremely helpful.

I'd love something on must-have accessories like tripods or shutter remotes, or maybe how to set up your lighting in doing before/after/50 50 shots.

zmcgovern45
11-24-2015, 10:25 AM
These helped me a ton when I started taking manual shots with my DSLR. Way easier to understand than most stuff online. I used to do actual 35mm photography and develop in a dark room in high school but I needed that refresher. You also had an article on another site about capturing those sunburst shots that was extremely helpful.

I'd love something on must-have accessories like tripods or shutter remotes, or maybe how to set up your lighting in doing before/after/50 50 shots.

I do have 3 articles on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog... the article regarding creating sunbursts, and then another one specific to 50/50 shots, and one specific for before/after shots.

I can certainly elaborate more on those as well if there is a need.

Thanks!

AGOatemywallet
11-24-2015, 10:46 AM
How about a feature for effectively using a point and shoot, instead of DSLR.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L820

So far the images from my iPhone are better than what I have been ble to produce with the Nikon

I know it's is operator error

zmcgovern45
11-24-2015, 10:53 AM
How about a feature for effectively using a point and shoot, instead of DSLR.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L820

So far the images from my iPhone are better than what I have been ble to produce with the Nikon

I know it's is operator error

Unfortunately I haven't used a point and shoot (aside from my iPhone) in many many years... so I am not at all familiar with the latest and greatest in that market.

Looking very briefly at the specs for your camera model, it does not seem that you have any manual or semi-manual exposure modes available. Therefore all you can do is rely on the camera's automatic settings and scene specific settings.

If you want more control over your images, you need to upgrade to a point and shoot with manual controls, or a DSLR.

jms493
11-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Thank you Zach...I have a DSLR and it was purchased mostly to take picture of my 2 kids throughout the years.

As I have progressed with my detailing I want to take better pictures of my before and afters. I will use this as a guide.

Many, many thanks!

Heisenberg
11-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Ha, I see those articles now. Thanks! Can't believe I missed them.

ski2
11-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Just curious if anyone has any ideas for new photography related articles... detailing specific or not.

I know cameras are often something that come with the holidays... whether you're using an existing camera to take pictures of friends and family, or you're hoping to get a new camera as a gift, it's always beneficial to know how to use it :)
-Zach

Great article Zach!!! Everything you need to know, without getting complicated, to get started in quality photography.

While I don't have anything to add to your excellent article I do have a suggestion for anyone looking to get a more advanced camera without the full jump to a DSLR.

After years of lugging around my SLR and extra lenses I decided to look for something simpler with all the advantages of my SLR and after months of searching decided on the Olympus Stylus 1.

It offers all the flexibility, control and quality images of a DSLR in a small form factor easy to carry around camera.

While it has an auto setting that allows you to just grab the camera and shoot, it also has all the modes of a DSLR: Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and full manual control.
As well as many automatic settings for almost every situation you can imagine.

In addition to a tilting screen it has a high quality ELV (Eye Level Viewfinder) just like a DSLR that comes in so handy on those sunny days or if you just don't like holding the camera away from your body.

The Stylus 1 allows you to take photos in various jpg resolutions as well as RAW images as Zach mentioned in his article and comes with a post processing application similar to
Lightroom.

The camera is equipped with a high quality 28-300mm f2.8 constant aperture zoom lens (you can use f2.8 at all zoom lengths) that allows the blurred backgrounds and low light photography Zach talks about.

The camera is a little larger than your typical point and shoot, but still fits in the palm of your hand.

You can take a look here: Stylus 1s - Digital Cameras | Olympus (http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/stylus-1s.html)

In my quest to keep this setup simple and easy to use I found the BlackRapid Snap 35 case. When you're at home taking detailing pictures it includes a wrist strap so you don't drop the camera and cause damage. But when you're on a family outing the camera slips into the case but when you pull it out (with one quick zipper) the camera is attached to one of the case straps and just slides up and down offering that same protection from dropping. Rather than have to take the camera out of the case and put the strap over your neck like most standard cases. The case has two outside pockets that are large enough to carry extra SD Cards, an extra battery and charger, USB cords and lens cleaner. So you can walk around all day with just this one small case over your shoulder and have everything you need.

Here's more info: BlackRapid SnapR 35 Complete System (http://www.blackrapid.com/products/snapr-35)

Both the camera and the case are a great setup for someone interested in stepping up the quality of their photos without breaking the bank and having the functionality of a DSLR.

tenblade2001
11-25-2015, 10:42 AM
great thread! Any lighting tips for showing paint defects on a white car? I can see the scratches but can not capture them on image.

zmcgovern45
11-25-2015, 12:08 PM
great thread! Any lighting tips for showing paint defects on a white car? I can see the scratches but can not capture them on image.

I actually just wrote an article exactly about this.... how to inspect defects on light colored paint... it will be published on the detailed image ask a pro blog in the future.