PDA

View Full Version : Should I just accept Rock Chips?

wn1998
11-22-2015, 07:47 AM
I have had my new jetta for almost 6 weeks and have noticed about two rock chips one of my bumper and one tiny one on the center of my hood. Are these just unavoidable? Should I not care as much?

I'm going crazy!!!!!

GSKR
11-22-2015, 08:00 AM
They maybe avoidable to a certain extent,by purchasing a clear wrap that you can get it installed on hood bumper and mirrors.I don't know what part of the region your located but expect more without any film.

FUNX650
11-22-2015, 09:02 AM
I use paint protection film on the areas that are
most vulnerable to being pelted by road debri, etc.

Bob

dcjredline
11-22-2015, 09:22 AM
You also may be tailgating too close. Pay attention next time your driving and see if maybe you could back off a little. Driving through areas that there are construction or was construction will be more likely to have small stones that will kick up too. Try to avoid those areas.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-22-2015, 11:36 AM
On a DD, sadly yes, but there is some control as others have said.

3m or Expel clear bra installation will help. Like others said, if you follow to close, you'll catch rocks. Sadly, in densely populated areas, such as here in New England, you're lucky if there is 10ft between the guy on your tail and the guy in front of you... Add all the joys of winter to that.

Also, Dr. Colorchip is a great product and will help with the chips you already have. You'll always know they're there, but from a 3ft view they won't draw attention.

I accept that my DD's will have rock chips, dings, road rash and all the joys that go along with being a DD in New England. Think of it like a guitar to a musician. I love my old Fender Tele all trashed up. Shows character! :-)

Mike Phillips
11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes.

Purchase a Dr. Color Chip kit for your car and get good with it.

Seriously the best thing you can do to maintain the finish on a daily driver.

:)

7PaintGuns
11-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Clear bras do work but the good ones are very expensive. I paint quite a few cars that have quality bras that come off easily with out ruining the paint and are rock chip free, but you have to pay for it. Look for an installer that uses either Avery Dennison & Lamin-X Protection Films,
3M, Premium Shield, Venture Shield and X-pel films. Other wise, Mike is spot on (duh!)...

SeanChav
11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I've come to just accept it.... My work commute is 86 miles a day and it's 90% highway.... Here in the Phoenix area there's rocks/pebbles flying around everywhere.... My windshield and hood have a bunch of little pits, and even after compound and polish they're still very much there

PA DETAILER
11-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Yep. There going to happen. Protection film is a option. DD (DAILY DRIVERS) are prone to everything.

BuffaloBill
11-22-2015, 07:45 PM
It's life. Every Colorado windshield is cracked go figure!

Paul A.
11-23-2015, 10:55 AM
I have never really been a fan of paint protection films only because i have seen them amplify the visible factory applied orange peel. I also don't like how they seem to lose their luster faster than the paint underneath. Having said that, they are the most effective at absorbing the inevitable chips over time. Bear in mind folks, that is just my opinion and understand how they are highly regarded by many.

My approach is good 'ole Dr. ColorChip and have pretty much perfected my application of it over the recent years. To me, i would rather have 100% of my factory paint glisten as it was intended. My daily driven black car has plenty of chip wounds but they're hard to find.

Again, i am NOT suggesting anything against PPF in the least. I just don't like it.

Eldorado2k
11-23-2015, 11:44 AM
You also may be tailgating too close. Pay attention next time your driving and see if maybe you could back off a little. Driving through areas that there are construction or was construction will be more likely to have small stones that will kick up too. Try to avoid those areas.

I never knew about that until now. It's a good thing I drive like an old man:)

parshooter
11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Ugh, I hear what you're screaming. My car is less than a year old and it has too many chips. It's black so they show up ever more. I avoid driving behind semi trucks.

BuffaloBill
11-23-2015, 10:04 PM
It's just a part of life if you have a truck with any lugs on the tires. You could coat the truck in plastic and there will be a rock to penetrate it.

Jeff Wagner
11-23-2015, 11:27 PM
I use Dr Color Chip and love it :props: