PDA

View Full Version : Next Polisher Question

SATracker
11-21-2015, 10:13 PM
I've used a PC7242XP since it came out with Lake Country 5.5 inch pads and I get some correction and a nice shine. I would like to buy a step up in polishers and I'm looking at Rupes Big Foot, Griots Boss or Flex 3401. I'm asking for advice because I have a couple of dozen LC 5.5 pads of all colors, relatively new, and I'd like to get a polisher that will work with these pads effectively. In talking to a Rupes user at SEMA he said that Rupes needs Rupes pads to work at its best, I don't know if Griot's Boss needs Griot pads to work at its best. I know the Flex works with LC pads.
I am retired, an enthusiast with a small detailing business on the side.
Advice would be appreciated.

dcjredline
11-21-2015, 10:20 PM
I stepped up to the 3401 and am not sorry. I have never used the Rupes or the BOSS and considering they are not forced rotation just longer throw I was not impressed. I dont have a problem covering area, I wanted more power.

Mike Phillips
11-21-2015, 10:25 PM
I show people

"The Air Test"

Actually show it in my RUPES book too. Attach a pad to a RUPES polisher and then turn it on and lock it on the 6 setting and hold the tool in the air.

If the pad is right for the tool it will feel smooth as tou hold the tool in the air. RUPES pads are like this.

If the pad is not right for the tool you'll feel the body of the tool vibrating.

The RUPES tools are engineered as a system, tool, pad and product. Used as a system result and performance are consistent.

Not saying othe pad and product combos won't work but the system RUPES engineered does work.

The 5.5" LC flat thin pads really are best suited for the PC and similar tools. Not so much for other tools.

:)

kosmetikwerks
11-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Personally I love both Flex 3401 and rupes 21-15es. Flex I use LC hybrid pads rupes I use LC HD orbital and have had great results. Rupes was designed as a system set pads/polishes and works flawlessly as such... Personally I use products that I can switch back and forth such as menzerna, Wolfgang, sonax, HD to name a few.

When I recommend its something like this:
DA background: Rupes/Groits
Rotary background: Flex 3401

As far as easy transition.

Just my preference, can't go wrong with either both a huge upgrade when set side by side with PC.

Mike Phillips
11-21-2015, 10:53 PM
both a huge upgrade when set side by side with PC.

I agree.

:iagree:

DaveT435
11-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Ok...I have a Flex 3401 and a Boss 21 among others. I would recommend the Rupes or Boss. Your going to have to spend some money on pads. Maybe you can sell your old pads on Autopia (I believe they allow that). You've got your technique down with the PC, the Rupes or Boss will be along the same line. The Flex does power through curves etc. I've got my process down with the Flex. I can one hand it, etc. but the Flex will fatigue your body a lot faster than the other two. The Rupes and Boss are so smooth and you don't need as much downward pressure. That's my .02

dlc95
11-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Eh....

If you've been "bitten by the bug", you might end up withe a sampling from the delights of both.

I love my PC. I use it a lot, and it works really well for me, but there is nothing that will seperate me from the Flex 3401, and Rupes Duetto. In fact I plan on reentering the rotary game with a Flex PE 14-2.

The reason being that I genuinely enjoy the nuances of the machines, and where the Rupes is concerned, having the factory specific approach. Outside of them actually putting food on the table, they're fun to use.

DaveT435
11-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Eh....

If you've been "bitten by the bug", you might end up withe a sampling from the delights of both.

I love my PC. I use it a lot, and it works really well for me, but there is nothing that will seperate me from the Flex 3401, and Rupes Duetto. In fact I plan on reentering the rotary game with a Flex PE 14-2.

The reason being that I genuinely enjoy the nuances of the machines, and where the Rupes is concerned, having the factory specific approach. Outside of them actually putting food on the table, they're fun to use.

I'm already using the PE14 more and more, you'll love it. Then you'll want a PE8...and you might as well try out a Boss lol

dlc95
11-22-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm already using the PE14 more and more, you'll love it. Then you'll want a PE8...and you might as well try out a Boss lol

Lol!

I'm kind of leaning towards the LHR15ES MKII...

I'd kinda like to attend ACR training with Mike at some point too, just to be sure I have the right techniques with them.

whavens
11-22-2015, 12:21 AM
Lol!

I'm kind of leaning towards the LHR15ES MKII...

I'd kinda like to attend ACR training with Mike at some point too, just to be sure I have the right techniques with them.

You won't regret taking Mike's class. You will learn a lot and have a good time in the process. The meet and greet is a great time as well.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

VISITOR
11-22-2015, 12:38 AM
if you're looking for a long throw DA then...

Griots Garage BOSS Long Throw Orbital Polisher System (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-boss-long-throw-orbital-polisher-system.html)

excellent customer service/support and warranty as well...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-system.jpg

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A[/video]

dlc95
11-22-2015, 07:30 AM
You won't regret taking Mike's class. You will learn a lot and have a good time in the process. The meet and greet is a great time as well.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I believe it.