PDA

View Full Version : Detailing at a dealership

andy2485
11-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Greetings from Minnesota,

As I cannot be the only detailer who has to work at a dealership, I want to hear some stories, ideas, tips, and tricks from detailers who have to work at a dealership.

Thanks!

dcjredline
11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Do you mean they employ you or that you have your own detailing business and they want you to do their cars at their place?

VP Mark
11-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Been there. Honestly, do the absolute minimum they expect you to do with the cars. They do not care a out autogeek style work only selling. And do this while you are looking for a better job.

andy2485
11-21-2015, 06:37 PM
employed by a dealership

Real Riders
11-21-2015, 07:07 PM
I worked at a dealer for 20 years or more. They want the cars to look good as fast as you can get them out on the lot for sale. Usually we just did a one step correction, cleaned and dressed the engine, and made sure the inside was nice and clean. Dealers need all engines detailed and tires dressed. Just don't soak the carpets and then shut the doors in the summer.

kosmetikwerks
11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Full time I manage vehicle reconditioning department of a luxury car dealership, part time I run my own company KosmetikWerks Pro Detail.

Generally speaking dealership 'clean up' department have mangers usually older and every vehicle is just another vehicle. Using same old rotary polisher and same products for years and don't want to nor are willing to change to the latest and greatest. I'll say probably 85% of dealers fit into this category. Where selling is selling and want to take the cheapest route and hire cheapest labour possible to 'push out' cars.. Quantity not quality..

However, there are people that manage these departments that actually do care. I personally spare no cost acheive high end results for my customers and the owners where I work thank me for my very very particular ways. Customers who purchase a vehicle from us often come in and get their other vehicles detailed in our shop because of the high quality work my team and I produce. In my area it's the detail shops you have to be very careful with. From what I have seen is that anyone who has 1 year dealer experience thinks they are in fact professional and start their own business up and try to undercut more pricy but high end work.

GSKR
11-21-2015, 07:48 PM
I worked for a Mercedes Benz and porche dealer for 9 years.It all boils down to how much they want to invest in you.I left there at 17an hr which is rare and a csi bonus.Today it's different they pay on performance which means commission .If there not willing to pay decent don't go the extra mile for them.as far as quickness tips use a spray wax on new,and 1 step on used.

Roman92
11-21-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm the detail manager at a dodge dealer in Georgia. It's a very tough balance but I got lucky and started out when they first opened the doors. The first year I was a hack and I didn't know anything about detailing at all. The second year the manager was fired and I was there alone for a while which was tough. In that time I realized I don't want to suck at my job anymore no matter what I was being paid so I became consumed with detailing and read up and researched every night until 3 and 4 am. I began to apply my new found knowledge because I had plenty of test subjects. I did so much testing and learning after hours long into the night off the clock. After I learned the basics I started to apply it to cars that mattered and I quickly became the manager. The hardest part is finding a balance... There is no way you can do an AG level detail on every vehicle at a dealership or at least at this one. But I have to pick and choose what I use my skills on. Another difficulty is dealing with stupid employees that just don't get it. They don't put things back where they go, they do terrible work that I have to go back over, and they don't listen to my instructions. But it's overall the best place to learn if you can leave the bad habits and practices in their place. You can also get started with dealer equipment but I use my own stuff mainly now. I now have confident rotary, rupes, and pc experience. Experience with wet sanding poor repaints, feather sanding scratches, and experience with steamers and extractors. So all in all its a great place to learn but it will cost you a lot of your own time and money but my managers say I'm the best they have ever seen and the best in my town. That reputation also goes for the customer pay details that come in and I also get a lot of side work that way.

Roman92
11-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Also I just wanted to be clear that very few people in this town take care of their vehicles so It's easier to impress. Wasn't trying to sound arrogant guys

Paul A.
11-22-2015, 10:13 AM
I am encouraged a bit by both Craig and Roman! Then again, when you you ask the OP's question on AGO i shouldn't be surprised. :dblthumb2:

andy2485
01-04-2016, 07:16 PM
how about the "complete" detail in 4 hours, on a van, or SUV..