PDA

View Full Version : Engine degreasers

Dustyn19
11-21-2015, 12:50 PM
I was hoping someone could give me some input regarding engine degreasers/cleaners. I have 2 vehicles - a BMW (with tons of exposed electrical connections) and an Acura.

I started a semi-annual rustproofing 6 months ago. I'm using rust-cure 3000 on any metal areas with even a hint of rust (which has eaten away 75% or more of the existing rust on the engine bay) and rust check red (on the plastics/rubbers).

I am at a point where I would like to strip the old oils away, and reapply a new layer of protection for the winter.

I am still very hesitant to clean the engine bay because of all of those electrical components, so I was hoping for some product recommendations that I can spray on, let dwell, and rinse off. I don't mind doing some scrubbing to get stubborn areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PA DETAILER
11-21-2015, 06:49 PM
DP Engine Degreaser, engine cleaner, car engine cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-engine-degreaser.html)

Would be good/safe choice.

GSKR
11-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Here's good advice don't do them,if you screw something up you can be on the hook for a few hundred,or a few thousand.

dcjredline
11-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Meguiar's Super Degreaser. Diluted 4:1.

Mike Phillips
11-21-2015, 10:05 PM
How old are these 2 cars?

Pictures of the engine compartments?

:Picture:

Dustyn19
11-21-2015, 11:04 PM
The BMW is a 2013 and is in decent shape as I have cleaned it before (I'm hesitant because the last time I did the engine bay I had a bunch of random things like "check oil" and "battery low" indicators come on) and the other car is 2011 Acura. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

truzoom
11-22-2015, 01:05 AM
FWIW, using a leaf blower or shop vac to blow all the standing water out of the engine bay (after washing) is more than sufficient to make the engine "safe" to use.

PA DETAILER
11-22-2015, 04:28 AM
FWIW, using a leaf blower or shop vac to blow all the standing water out of the engine bay (after washing) is more than sufficient to make the engine "safe" to use.

:xyxthumbs: Good tip! I use my shop vac to blow off the standing water. Then i use SONUS MOTOR KOTE to finish up the job.

Mantilgh
11-22-2015, 07:40 AM
You could just use your cleaner, some brushes, and a bunch of older/lesser microfibers. Spray cleaner, agitate with brush or micro, a rinse wipe with a dampened micro, and wipe with a dry one.

There are some here the will individually wrap each electrical connection with tape or cellophane, then do a normal "wet" detail.

Dustyn19
11-23-2015, 09:39 PM
How old are these 2 cars?

Pictures of the engine compartments?

:Picture:

Here are the 2 pictures I took today. I just want to make sure that these are ok to have degreaser/water sprayed on them, or if I have to cover it up.

Thanks for the input

GSKR
11-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Here are the 2 pictures I took today. I just want to make sure that these are ok to have degreaser/water sprayed on them, or if I have to cover it up.

Thanks for the inputcover everything you can and especially the mass air flow sensor.

PA DETAILER
11-24-2015, 08:26 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/93004-what-can-sonus-motor-kote-do-you.html

Paul A.
11-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I have had good luck with my 07 BMW engine cleanings. I cover all the electricals with the plastic wrap/foil technique and go nuts on everything else. I do NOT use a pressure washer as i don't want to force water anywhere. I cover up the sensitives, hose it down pretty good and then use Megs Super degreaser at about 2:1...i know, i know, maybe too potent but haven't had any issues for a few years now. I let that dwell for a couple of minutes then work around with my brushes and rinse down. A good blow dry and an engine start to help heat up some things and make sure i haven't thrown any codes.

Done.