PDA

View Full Version : Old leather

Buck91
11-20-2015, 09:13 PM
This discussion seems to always be around with two camps. Full grain leather conditioner like Lexol or a light cleaning and *maybe* wiping with a silicone type product.

But lets try anyways. The seats in my '96 Mustang are old. New to me (originals were shredded) but old. The leather is dry and despite my best attempts the driver seat has aged significantly in the past few months since replacement.

I initially tried lexol cleaner + lexol conditioner but felt like it did not offer any conditioning benefit to the coated leather sued by Ford. Since that time I have switched to Meguiars Gold Class cleaner and the separate gold class conditioner. This has offered a bit of an improvement, and I do like the cleaner. Still, the leather feels fairly stiff and almost brittle. Any other better products for coated automotive leather? I used the Mothers products years ago, but they just seemed to stay on the surface and make it slippery (2001 Lincoln). Which is a whole 'nuther thing... slippery is bad mmmkay?

Anyways, open to discussion and/or anecdotes but really trying to find something to soften these seats up or at least delay their decline!

Eldorado2k
11-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Does the leather have a grainy texture or does it have more of a smooth finish?

The quality of the leather seats usually varies depending on the make of the vehicle. i.e. Honda leather doesn't compare to the quality you'll find inside of a Cadillac [at least IMO] so there may just be a limit to how good those leather seats can feel.

I'd try 2 applications of the Meguiars Conditioner you're using, and apply it more frequently over a period of 1-2 weeks and see if that makes a difference. What type of applicator are you using to apply it? I'd recommend a microfiber pad applicator.

Buck91
11-20-2015, 09:59 PM
It's smooth. Been using the megs with microfiber clothe for about 2 months. Initially frequntpy but today was the first time in a number of weeks. Feels better again but still dryish

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

conman1395
11-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Leatherique. I honestly believe it's the only conditioner worth using. On top of that, it sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Buck91
11-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Yes, that does sound exactly like the right product. Actually sounds similar to the Obenauf's leather oil, also.

The thing I'm concerned about is, despite how effective these products are on leather, do they work as well on the coated leather seen in auto applications?

DogRescuer
11-21-2015, 06:17 AM
Yes, that does sound exactly like the right product. Actually sounds similar to the Obenauf's leather oil, also.

The thing I'm concerned about is, despite how effective these products are on leather, do they work as well on the coated leather seen in auto applications?

I was told that there's no reason to condition coated leather.

tbcota25
11-21-2015, 06:56 AM
I was told that there's no reason to condition coated leather.

I have been reading and researching the proper way to clean leather. A lot of people say that you don't need to condition coated leather... But personally im still gonna do it as the conditioner acts a "protective skin" kinda like waxing your car...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

conman1395
11-21-2015, 09:16 AM

Leatherique is designed for coated leather. The makers of leatherique were some of tget people who invented the water based coating that leather uses today.

DogRescuer
11-21-2015, 01:59 PM
I have been reading and researching the proper way to clean leather. A lot of people say that you don't need to condition coated leather... But personally im still gonna do it as the conditioner acts a "protective skin" kinda like waxing your car...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk++

Gotcha

FUNX650
11-21-2015, 02:21 PM
IMO:

•When it comes to Top-coated/Protected leather...
-the chemistry of how the Leatherique system works
for this leather type really does not compute for me.

•Top-coated/Protected leather needs to be:
-"cleaned and protected".

-LeatherMaster's has the products that are
designed to clean and protect such leather.

Bob

conman1395
11-21-2015, 04:11 PM
IMO:

•When it comes to Top-coated/Protected leather...
-the chemistry of how the Leatherique system works
for this leather type really does not compute for me.

•Top-coated/Protected leather needs to be:
-"cleaned and protected".

-LeatherMaster's has the products that are
designed to clean and protect such leather.

Bob
I agree, except when leather is dry like he's taking about Leatherique is what I go to.