PDA

View Full Version : Review: Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 04:07 AM
My older brother stopped by for a visit today and asked if I could hook his car up with a wash. I'm always more than happy to be of service to my brothers and they're always real appreciative. So I get to work on his car, a 2005 Honda Accord. Quik bucket wash, boom, done.

Once I'm done I take a look at his interior and remember about the Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner I recently bought and how I've been looking to put it to a real test for the 1st time. This car was the perfect guinea pig. Black Honda leather, high mileage car, never been detailed.

Lets get started.

I spray the D181 directly on the surface and scrub with my soft nylon brush

I'm very happy with the initial results. This is just from that small half test spot on the passenger seat. Nice.

A couple 50/50 shots of the test spot.

This is how much dirt came off the entire passenger seat [not including the backside of the seat, I wasn't about to detail the whole interior. Lol]
I was pretty impressed. That seemed like a good amount of dirt that came off the seat, and it looked and felt much better than before.

Just the passenger seat cleaned so far.

Now it's time for the drivers seat + center console.

Immediate wow at how much grime was coming off.

So much dirt came off the drivers side and especially the center console that I went and grabbed my led swirlfinder light to make sure I wasn't removing dye from the seats. No harm done, just deep down dirt finally being cleaned away.

This is how much came off the drivers side & console! Man!!

Final results of Meguiars D181 on both seats & console.

I'm very happy with the results. This stuff removed so much dirt I almost can't believe it.

Either that interior was that bad, or this stuff is that good. I'm not ready to proclaim this is the best stuff ever, but as you can see, it sure had great results there. Thanks for reading.

Rod73
11-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Nice! May be a good future investment.

trashmanssd
11-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Meguiars almost always works good and is always great value. Thanks for the review.

d33p
11-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Looks more like dye than dirt. Dirt is usually brownish...that looks like shoe polish.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 08:28 AM
That's what I was afraid of as I was seeing it, which is why I stopped to grab a light.. Most if not all of that of that black came off the center console. But during the time I went to grab the light and came back, a good portion of the console dried up matte while part of it still remained greasy/shiny as it appears when leather needs to be cleaned so I cautiously continued. The final result looked great, but I won't lie, I was a bit concerned for a sec. especially since the material on most center consoles seems to be of less durability than other parts of the interior. [or at least it seems that way based on a few experiences I've had with several cars]

But now that you mention it, it does seem a bit strange that it's that black.. Maybe it's a good thing I let off and didn't continue because it did seem like more would've "cleaned" off.

conman1395
11-19-2015, 11:14 AM
I always want to see leather cleaner reviews on light colors. D101 cleans well, but doesn't get in the grain as well as Deep Plastic Cleaner or Power Clean.

I've wondered about both of Meguiar's Detailer Line of leather cleaners though. I enjoyed the review nonetheless.

The Guz
11-19-2015, 11:44 AM
It's a great product for sure.

conman1395
11-19-2015, 01:57 PM
It's a great product for sure.
How does it compare to D101 or Power Clean?

DasBurninator
11-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Compared to D101 it cleans leather more gently and has much more pleasant scent.

It is RTU though, so no diluting it.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
I followed it up with D180 and there wasn't a noticeable transfer of dirt on the applicator, [even from the center console]

1st I used a terry applicator, but quickly switched to a microfiber mitt because I felt the the terry applicator was a bit too grabby. Plus all I was trying to do was condition the seats, which this mitt allows me to quickly accomplish once I've cleaned the leather.

Here's a picture of both the applicator and the mitt. The applicator wasn't new and that's how it basically looks even after being washed.

And here's a pic of what it looked like immediately after the D180. I didn't post it because it looks a bit shiny at 1st. But it tones down quite a bit after a short while.

That's a good question. Next Time I see this car I'll do a 50/50 comparison on the back seat because I'm curious to find out as well. Up until now I had used D101 and was mostly happy with the results. But I agree that sometimes it seems to lack that last bit that it takes to get deep down dirt in the grain.

DasBurninator
11-19-2015, 05:45 PM
And here's a pic of what it looked like immediately after the D180. I didn't post it because it looks a bit shiny at 1st. But it tones down quite a bit after a short while.

I usually come back with a clean towel and knock down the D180 to kill the shine. Just gives it a rich leather look.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 05:52 PM
To be honest I kind of like the shine :p

But I realize the detailing world is dominated by "matte guys" lol.

greg_in_ga
11-19-2015, 05:56 PM
What did your brother say about all the gunk that came off the seat and console?

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 05:59 PM
I like the subtle shine it provides to my car* [and most others]

Not all leather interior is created equal. That Honda is a bit too shiny for me as well, but as you said, it can be toned down a bit.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
What did your brother say about all the gunk that came off the seat and console?

He said wow you really don't have to do all that.. I said nah nah, Ima hook you up bro.