PDA

View Full Version : Need to get my nephews started out right

wlshephard
11-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Mike,

My nephews are now driving age and are asking me a lot of detailing questions. So for Christmas I wanted to try to help start them out detailing the right way. I will list what I bought for them so far.

2 AG-MPSHOWCAR - Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a
2 ULT-6022 - 22 oz. Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel w/Spraye
1 MO-156200 - Mothers Detail Brush Set
2 MO-TWWK3 - Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit
1 CUP-240108 - 3 Qty 1 oz. Measuring Cups
2 MO-155900 - Mothers Interior & Upholstery Brush
2 B-15 - 1" Round Detailing Brush

My question is I may be able to get them a few more things other than buckets with grit guards and lids what would you suggest? Keeping in mind the paint on their vehicles is not salvageable there is some epic clear coat failure and deep, deep scratches. The best to hope for on the exterior is to keep it clean and maybe put Hydro2 on it. I am going to say the budget will be around $100 to $200. What would you suggest? Thanks

hollerstiltner
11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
It's not what most would think of, but I'd consider some type of glass coating like aquapel.

If I have time to do only one thing on my wife's car, I take care of the glass. Above looking good, I want her to see well.

Aside from that, never can gave too many microfiber towels.

dcjredline
11-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Car wash soap?
APC?
Tire/Wheel cleaner.

wlshephard
11-17-2015, 12:33 AM
It's not what most would think of, but I'd consider some type of glass coating like aquapel.

If I have time to do only one thing on my wife's car, I take care of the glass. Above looking good, I want her to see well.

Aside from that, never can gave too many microfiber towels.

I have some Aqaupel I can throw in. Towels are a great idea. Thanks

wlshephard
11-17-2015, 12:35 AM
Car wash soap?
APC?
Tire/Wheel cleaner.

I have some I can give them and/or mix up. Thanks

Bus_Driver
11-17-2015, 01:29 AM
How are the headlight lenses? If hazy or cloudy, a headlight restoration kit.

2black1s
11-17-2015, 02:43 AM
I understand your desire to help the youngsters learn, but if their vehicles already exhibit "epic clear coat failure", what's the point? There's not much to learn from trying to care for something that is already beyond care.

wlshephard
11-17-2015, 10:25 AM
I understand your desire to help the youngsters learn, but if their vehicles already exhibit "epic clear coat failure", what's the point? There's not much to learn from trying to care for something that is already beyond care.

Well there is a lot more to detail on a vehicle than just paint. Even if the clear coat is toast they can still take pride in their vehicle and keep it clean. At some point they may repaint or get another vehicle and I would like them to have a good base of knowledge to work from.

Mike Phillips
11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Get him a good one-step cleaner/wax.

With a bucket, wash mitt, drying towel, one-step cleaner/wax and a few microfiber towels he could start his first detail business.

Take the profits from his first job and plow them back into the business with more products. Repeat this until he can get a simple DA polisher a backing plate and a few foam pads. Continue keeping it simple by using a one-step cleaner/wax.

Before you know it he'll be on here asking and answering questions.

Oh yeah... introduce him to AGO

:dblthumb2:

wlshephard
11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
How are the headlight lenses? If hazy or cloudy, a headlight restoration kit.

Good idea thanks!

wlshephard
11-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Get him a good one-step cleaner/wax.

With a bucket, wash mitt, drying towel, one-step cleaner/wax and a few microfiber towels he could start his first detail business.

Take the profits from his first job and plow them back into the business with more products. Repeat this until he can get a simple DA polisher a backing plate and a few foam pads. Continue keeping it simple by using a one-step cleaner/wax.

Before you know it he'll be on here asking and answering questions.

Oh yeah... introduce him to AGO

:dblthumb2:

Thanks Mike I will add that to the list. I am going to set up AGO accounts for them at Christmas and make a link to all your articles.