PDA

View Full Version : Protecting suspension and frame components

DasBurninator
11-16-2015, 01:34 PM
As the title states. I am looking for some opinions on how to keep my subframe and suspension I am finishing up on right now in the best shape I can. I'd love to hear suggestions for what to use.

I've been debating using CQuartz, but I'm not sure using a coating would be appropriate in this situation or not.

Pictures for reference of what I am dealing with.
http://i.imgur.com/sE6nA7bh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/66qRKu0h.jpg?1

builthatch
11-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Honestly, if you had Opti-Coat Pro, i'd recommend that because the chemistry dictates it'd be perfect for that. And it's so easy to install in these cases since high spots are not nearly as critical.

But, for consumers, I'd recommend looking at 3X Rust Blocker. It's an aerosol that works great for undercarriage stuff. Just make sure you prepare as if you are painting something, so, mask accordingly, ventilate, etc.

DasBurninator
11-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Honestly, if you had Opti-Coat Pro, i'd recommend that because the chemistry dictates it'd be perfect for that. And it's so easy to install in these cases since high spots are not nearly as critical.

But, for consumers, I'd recommend looking at 3X Rust Blocker. It's an aerosol that works great for undercarriage stuff. Just make sure you prepare as if you are painting something, so, mask accordingly, ventilate, etc.

These parts were just coated in SEM Rust Shield. Just trying to keep them looking good for as long as possible. I won't be applying another paint type product to them. Also doesn't look like 3X Rust Blocker will be able to handle the heat in that area.

Guess I'll pick up an extra bottle of CQuartz next time I order some.

The Guz
11-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Maybe dlux?

DasBurninator
11-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Maybe dlux?

Might be my best bet. Can't apply it until the paint is cured though....

Maybe I'll throw some D305 on it while I wait for the paint to cure so I can get it into the car sometime this year

TuxedoTaurus
11-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Why not use CarPro Hydro2, or apply Dlux and maintain with Hydro2?

Should be easy to apply every couple months.

builthatch
11-17-2015, 05:49 PM
these things you are mentioning are susceptible over time to alkaline degreaser and acids. so, something to keep in mind. you want something tough overall, not just tough compared to automotive paint.

if you feel confident to stay in the Carpro family, i think CQ is a better choice than Dlux.

i'm curious - what sort of extreme heat are you expecting your suspension components to see??

DasBurninator
11-17-2015, 06:05 PM
these things you are mentioning are susceptible over time to alkaline degreaser and acids. so, something to keep in mind. you want something tough overall, not just tough compared to automotive paint.

if you feel confident to stay in the Carpro family, i think CQ is a better choice than Dlux.

i'm curious - what sort of extreme heat are you expecting your suspension components to see??

The paint I used is pretty freakin tough, but it will turn chalky over time with UV exposure. I'm mostly trying to avoid that and make it easier to clean up and help fend off some of the mag chloride around here.

My downpipe runs within about an inch of the center of the subframe/steering rack. It isn't exactly cool to the touch by any means, even with it being ceramic coated. Hence the requirement for something that can withstand heat.