PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ruby Red Ford Edge

Poroto
11-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Hello guys! Taking advantage that I did not have any assignments or other homework that I had to complete for my classes and work, I decided to give our other daily driver the full work up!
After working on my 2010 Jetta, I have a little more experience under my belt and feel a bit more confident on this car which has many "imperfections" due to it being the transporter for the kids. After stripping all wax and products from the Edge, I noticed it had pretty moderate swirling and scratches. It also had a depressing amount of chips on the hood and front, but I won't worry about that now. It also has a dent and scraped paint from some idiot that side-swiped our driver-side door at a parking lot. It also has an area where the garage door scraped the rear.
After washing, decontaminating with Iron-X and Tar-X, and claying, I decided to work on the paint. After working on a test spot, I settled on Megs 205 on a flat LC orange pad to remove the swirls and most RIDS. On the area that was side-swiped and the rear I used a yellow 3 inch LC pad and Megs 105, and followed with a white pad and m205.
I was happy with the results, albeit some RIDS remain, and the areas that were damaged at least are the nice dark red color again.
For LSP I used WGDGPS, and put Megs 26 liquid wax on top.
I am happy with the results, and the deep metallic paint really stands out now! :dblthumb2:
I did not get any before pics, but I tried to get a good representation of the after.
http://i.imgur.com/fwxdky0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UYGMB7d.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/naJpGXQ.jpg

Next step is to clean the interior...which is full of gunk from the kids throwing crap around, as well as our dog. The plastic trim on the bottom needs a refresh as well which I will take care of with Poorboy's World Trim Restorer at a later date. The massive front chrome didn't turn out stellar (thanks Ford), but I will work on it with Megs cleaner wax once I get some, based on some good reviews out there.
If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears!
Thanks for looking and thank you all for posting all your great work! :buffing:

mcate
11-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Nice work! Ruby Red is my favorite Ford color. The wife & I are planning on getting either an F-150 or Explorer in that color.

Sicoupe
11-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Nice work! Looks fantastic my friend:)

GSKR
11-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah saw that color on a 150 today,you really have to see that color in person pics just give it the run of the mill color.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Looking good!

4u2nvinmtl
11-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Did you remove the orange peel too? The paint looks really good!

Poroto
11-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Nice work! Ruby Red is my favorite Ford color. The wife & I are planning on getting either an F-150 or Explorer in that color.

When we were looking to buy a family car my wife fell in love with this color...so her opinion mattered and not mine! I've had the luck of driving both the Explorer and F-150, and they're great! I've really begun to like Fords now...especially after being disappointed with VWs ethics.

Nice work! Looks fantastic my friend:)

Thanks! :props:

Yeah saw that color on a 150 today,you really have to see that color in person pics just give it the run of the mill color.

I agree! It has a nice metallic depth to it!

Looking good!

Thanks! :props:

Did you remove the orange peel too? The paint looks really good!

Thanks for the comment...no, the orange peel is the same. You have to be really close to see it though so it didn't show up in the pics.:dunno: