PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 915 applied with a DA

180sxqc
11-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Hello folks, I have been a long time reader and was able to learn alot through the forum (thanks to @mike Phillips - btw your guide to a show care shine is awesome and all the other gurus around here)

I have been using a few waxes/sealants so far, all applied with a wax pad with my DA.

I recently pulled the trigger on #845 which I really enjoyed using and it is my current winter prep (thanks to Nick on the #845 guide)

My only experience so far with a paste wax is via DP Max Wax that was really easy to use. To apply it I have been using the "knock the paste fax on the pad method", as taught by MP somewhere around these posts.

I am looking forward to ordering #915 in a near future and I would like to know if I will be able to use the aforementionned technique, or you have to use a knife (or applicator) to get the wax out of the jar.

Thin is in with Collinite so I would prefer using my DA to spread the wax and I might have a hard time getting a 4 inch pad into the jar hehe

Thanks for your answers folks!

expdetailing
11-15-2015, 07:25 PM
915's container has a lid smaller in diameter than the wax itself, so you could scoop some out or figure a way to remove the bottom of the can somehow.

180sxqc
11-15-2015, 08:01 PM
For those who used this wax before, what is your technique to "scoop some out of the jar"

davidc
11-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Used credit card, butter knife or body filler applicator

Dave

mwoolfso
11-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Butter knife...

MarkD51
11-15-2015, 09:00 PM
The 915 Cans are a bit larger than 476 cans, but not sure if a 4" pad will fit within, never tried it. A 3" probably would.

In any case, putting it on isn't so hard, but taking it off might be.

I've found 915 can work you more than 476 getting it off.

I think the next time I ever use 915, I'm going to have my waxcoa waxer on hand, or get another PC cheapie factory Plate with the glued on white pad, and buy some slip on MF Bonnets.

Will help save some elbow grease.

Otherwise, this is I've found a wax you apply to one panel, then drop the applicator and pick up a towel quickly.

180sxqc
11-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Might as well order a few wax pads in my next order too

fly07sti
11-15-2015, 09:23 PM
What I did with my container was turn it upside down and open the bottom with a can opener. I now keep the wax in a quality Tupperware and whenever I use it, I just put on some cotton or MF gloves to grab the wax and lightly rub the wax over my pad.

180sxqc
11-15-2015, 10:04 PM
The 915 Cans are a bit larger than 476 cans, but not sure if a 4" pad will fit within, never tried it. A 3" probably would.

In any case, putting it on isn't so hard, but taking it off might be.

I've found 915 can work you more than 476 getting it off.

I think the next time I ever use 915, I'm going to have my waxcoa waxer on hand, or get another PC cheapie factory Plate with the glued on white pad, and buy some slip on MF Bonnets.

Will help save some elbow grease.

Otherwise, this is I've found a wax you apply to one panel, then drop the applicator and pick up a towel quickly.

Ive had not problem whatsoever with the removal of #845 (I know #845 is alot easier to work with), I applied it very thin and I will follow the same process. Alot have reported not having any issue removing the wax #915 if applied thin

Also, I have read to let dry to a haze?

180sxqc
11-15-2015, 10:06 PM
What I did with my container was turn it upside down and open the bottom with a can opener. I now keep the wax in a quality Tupperware and whenever I use it, I just put on some cotton or MF gloves to grab the wax and lightly rub the wax over my pad.

I like that! Even in a sealed zip lock bag

custmsprty
11-15-2015, 10:06 PM
I use a small spatula or small butter knife to "butter" the pad.

180sxqc
11-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your help folks! Cant wait to try #915 on my black 10' Outback!