PDA

View Full Version : What the heck? Nanoskin mitt

switner
11-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Working on my mom's Honda Pilot that hasn't had wax or sealant in several years. I did a two bucket wash and then used my new nanoskin fine grade mitt. I followed the directions and broke it in the glass. I used Maxi Suds II as my lube and thoroughly went over the car. Did the Baggie test and could still feel a lot of contaminants. I grabbed the mitt and did a test spot on the hood with onr as my lube. Still contaminated, so I grabbed some fine grade clay magic. Went over a small section until it was decontaminated. Went back with the baggie and could STILL feel contaminants. What the heck? It's like this all over the car. I figured I could still get heavy contaminants off with the fine grade mitt, but it might take a little longer. Any help is appreciated.

Kamakaz1961
11-15-2015, 03:00 PM
You might want to try Iron X. I have never used it, however, I hear if you are doing a thorough cleaning; many of the AGO people include that when claying. I would at least consider that.

DaveT435
11-15-2015, 04:09 PM
It would be worth trying iron X. You can also dry diluting the ONR a little more...obviously if your going to try this small changes. Did you dilute the ONR exactly to directions? I know some people estimate when mixing...

switner
11-15-2015, 05:56 PM
It would be worth trying iron X. You can also dry diluting the ONR a little more...obviously if your going to try this small changes. Did you dilute the ONR exactly to directions? I know some people estimate when mixing...

I measure my dilutions. Previously I have used 32:1 (I think that's their recommendation), but I was using 32:2. I guess I will try 32:1 to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, I might try iron-x.

Busy mind
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Could you see any contaminants sticking to the clay bar?
Are you prepared to polish afterwards?

I would try using a medium grade clay bar on a section.

cardaddy
11-15-2015, 07:14 PM
You might want to try Iron X. I have never used it, however, I hear if you are doing a thorough cleaning; many of the AGO people include that when claying. I would at least consider that.
:iagree: with :whs::dblthumb2:

Not all of what you're feeling can be removed with Nanoskin. Perhaps hit it with either straight IRON-X or IRON-X Snow Foam, then go back with Nanoskin/clay. It'll be pretty darned clean then. ;)

expdetailing
11-15-2015, 07:31 PM
I highly recommend using an Autoscrub pad that can attach to a polisher. I guarantee you it will solve your problem. Some cars are too contaminated and using anything by hand is beyond reasonable.

kosmetikwerks
11-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Heavy contaminants you'll need more aggressive approach than a fine grade nanoskin. Bump up or mentioned above try some iron x or metallic fallout gel. Then go back to the prep pad/clay. Heavy contaminated paint I always do a body prep before even trying nanoskin/clay.

conman1395
11-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Use IronX and also use something more aggressive like medium grade clay magic or nanoskin.

switner
11-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks everybody. Will be ordering some iron-x shortly.