PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove old tire dressing?

jjhl
11-15-2015, 04:57 AM
I applied Meguiar's Endurance tire gel many months ago, which I believe is a silicone based dressing.

Previously, just gently rubbing my finger across the tire would leave a black oily residue on my finger. I tried pressure washing it, scrubbing it with a tire brush with Chemical guys APC and degreaser, but I still get some black flaky residue when I rub my fingernail across the tire walls. I'm assuming this black residue is from the old tire gel. This stuff is incredibly hard to remove. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have to concentrated version of chemical guys apc and degreaser, and I'm tempted to try the full concentrated strength on my tires but I'm concerned the full strength may inadvertently stain my wheels. Any thoughts?

DogRescuer
11-15-2015, 05:10 AM
La awesome full strength and scrub ×10

Bunky
11-15-2015, 06:04 AM
Mothers Black to Black Tire Renew.

silverfox
11-15-2015, 07:02 AM
I'd never use an APC on tires. Yes they work, but they also extract from the rubber essential chemicals that prevent the rubber from getting hard which in turn develops cracks and possible premature wearing on the sidewalks. Use a dedicated tire cleaning product.

Klasse Act
11-15-2015, 05:36 PM
OP, once it's removed what will you be using next?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

GenesisCoupe
11-15-2015, 05:39 PM
^ Def. not Endurance gel, Roger! :)

LSNAutoDetailing
11-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Have you tried Stoners Tarminator? Worth a shot.

Ebg18t
11-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Maybe just replace the tires with something better. :laughing:

AnthonyGXP
11-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Meguiar's Super Degreaser diluted 4:1 or Zep Industrial Purple(be careful around bare aluminium wheels with Zep) which is readily available at most stores. SCRUB-SCRUB-SCRUB!

After tires have been completely cleaned and dry, they should have a somewhat shiny surface due to the fact the antiozonant has been removed from the surface. Now is the perfect opportunity to begin using quality water based tire dressing, that can be easily cleaned and removed at each wash.

GSKR
11-15-2015, 06:59 PM
I applied Meguiar's Endurance tire gel many months ago, which I believe is a silicone based dressing.

Previously, just gently rubbing my finger across the tire would leave a black oily residue on my finger. I tried pressure washing it, scrubbing it with a tire brush with Chemical guys APC and degreaser, but I still get some black flaky residue when I rub my fingernail across the tire walls. I'm assuming this black residue is from the old tire gel. This stuff is incredibly hard to remove. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have to concentrated version of chemical guys apc and degreaser, and I'm tempted to try the full concentrated strength on my tires but I'm concerned the full strength may inadvertently stain my wheels. Any thoughts?
Go to Walmart and get sos pads then scrub.

GSKR
11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Have you tried Stoners Tarminator? Worth a shot.

That will turn the tires very brown and blotchy looking.

Coach Steve
11-15-2015, 10:21 PM
I've had great success removing Endurance using a bucket of hot water, Dawn and a tire brush.

dlc95
11-15-2015, 11:49 PM
I use Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, on the tires.