PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather application

Pages : [1] 2

BuffaloBill
11-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Well, I kinda waited too long and the weather here is steadily under 50 degrees now. Lower 20s at night. Can I still use my polishes and sealants with just as good results say as 70 degree weather? My main concern is sealants, I have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Klasse-HGSG. I'm worried the products will not work correctly or the sealants will not adhere to the paint with such low climates.

hoyt66
11-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Well, I kinda waited too long and the weather here is steadily under 50 degrees now. Lower 20s at night. Can I still use my polishes and sealants with just as good results say as 70 degree weather? My main concern is sealants, I have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Klasse-HGSG. I'm worried the products will not work correctly or the sealants will not adhere to the paint with such low climates.

Sounds like you're roped with the temps. Are you talking about your own cars or paying customers? If they're your own I would apply it as long as the car sees no moisture in the

first 24 hours. You don't have a choice really. If its a paying customer I'll defer to the pros as you'll need to be confident you're selling them solid protection that's been properly applied.

FUNX650
11-14-2015, 12:26 PM
There are many factors involved in determining the
"best" temperatures when using car-care products:

Here's an excellent article outlining such factors:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

Bob

TRDTACO
11-14-2015, 02:52 PM
I went thrue this a few weeks ago and I used the WGDGPS 3.0 allso. I talked to a rep at autogeek and they said the lowest you want to go is about 65 degrees, any lower and he stated you would have problems with application and removal. Lucky for me I caught a nice day about 65ish and it seemed to work great.It rained about 13 hours after so I was within the 12 hour cure time and everything seems great the slickness and beading are the best ive ever felt. A little difficult to apply but very easy to remove and looked great after I was impressed.

Mike@ShineStruck
11-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Ah, just did a customers car at 53 degree weather
Turned out perfect
I wouldnt go below 50 though
Perfer 60s, but i had no choice

shagnat
11-15-2015, 05:19 AM
It's that time of year !!! I have sun most of the (short) days..... plus very cool temps (early morning upper 30s....afternoon mid--upper 60s) So, what's a guy to do?

Can I go ahead and use polishes, waxes, sealants, etc. in the sun since the temps are quite low?

DogRescuer
11-15-2015, 06:49 AM
The summer sun= your enemy
The winter sun=your friend

shagnat
11-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Just checked my car's temps.

Ambient temp = 48*F
Sun side car = 92*F
Shade side car = 63*F
Wheels = 52*F

Sounds like a good time to do the sun side of the car since afternoon temps are going to mid 60s F. Then do shade side if time permits. Woot !!

BuffaloBill
11-15-2015, 08:20 PM
The summer sun= your enemy
The winter sun=your friend

So it would be okay to operate my polishes and sealants in the winter sun? Just avoid moisture for 24 hours correct?

And yes it's my personal vehicle.

BuffaloBill
11-18-2015, 04:30 PM
So it would be okay to operate my polishes and sealants in the winter sun? Just avoid moisture for 24 hours correct?

And yes it's my personal vehicle.

Anyone?

Or is there a product that can be applied in cold garaged weather? Say like Collinite 845? Or in the 50 degree sun?

BuffaloBill
11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
I guess Ultimate Quik Wax or D156 would work in direct sunlight, if they are the same. I have a ton of D156 on hand.

cardaddy
11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
You'd likely be fine to apply most all sealants in he 50°'s as long as you were able to get SOME sun shining on the surface. As the other post stated, the sun will heat the surface quite a bit. ;)

Just get it ready, then apply the sealant on the sunny side, let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off, then turn it around and do the other side.

All you need is a cheap IR thermometer and you're set.

As for buffing, I don't think that'd be a problem in the garage.

Do what I do... cheat the garage temps by putting a floor fan in the kitchen door, another one out in the garage to move air, and use another space heater in the garage.

Between a couple fans and a heater or two, (along with halogen lights) I've been able to heat my oversized 3-car garage to 68°~70° when it's in the 30's outside. :D

GSKR
11-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Jeeze I'm complaining that it's too hot still,not anymore we floridians take our climate for granted sometimes.

MarkD51
11-18-2015, 09:27 PM
If you have a garage, then Home Depot can be your best friend.

Go by yourself a 20lb Propane Tank, fill it and a 45K BTU Torpedo Forced Air Portable Heater.

Just be careful where you place it, and make sure you get fresh air as you go. They eat oxygen like F-117's

BuffaloBill
11-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Great ideas!