PDA

View Full Version : layering coats of wax

Bubbabuff
09-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Is it true or a myth when waxing a vehicle it can be layered, like souveran paste wax? So how many layers are sufficient? Whats the best wax for layering coats?

pirex
09-25-2007, 07:43 AM
It can be layered for extra looks and some more durability! All waxes that are carnabua is good for layering. Not waxes with cleaners in it, like NXT paste wax.

makdaddy626
09-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Asolutely TRUE. Waxes and some sealants can be layered, many will suggest at least 2 layers to ensure full coverage. Also, many people will layer a wax over a sealant in hopes of obtaining the best of both worlds (durability and protection of a sealant plus the rich warm glow or a wax).

Like pirex said, you can't layer a wax that has cleaners as each coat will "clean" away the one before it.

richy
09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
true to a point..a few coats are fine and re-application is necessary periodically depending on how durable the wax is you choose. However, putting like 7 or 8 coats one after another is dumb, wastes product and does not enhance anything..everything in moderation.

makdaddy626
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
true to a point..a few coats are fine and re-application is necessary periodically depending on how durable the wax is you choose. However, putting like 7 or 8 coats one after another is dumb, wastes product and does not enhance anything..everything in moderation.

:whs:
Yes, the law of dimenishing returns is in effect as always.

budman3
09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

The only exception to this is Top of the Line's wax, Trade Secret. That is the only wax that I've seen (online) that just keeps looking better and better, layer after layer.

richy
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
The only exception to this is Top of the Line's wax, Trade Secret. That is the only wax that I've seen (online) that just keeps looking better and better, layer after layer.

Ya know Budman..I have some of that..I've tried it but not layering it more than 2X's..maybe have to give it a shot

bladerunner
09-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Is it worth trying to layer on something like Soveran (expensive) or just spray it with their Crystal Mist that contains carnuba? This can be applied and reapplied so easily between washes.
This weekend I did Wolfgang Sealer, then Soveran, then Crystal Mist on black and it seems to look pretty darn good.

AUSMHLY
09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
It should be noted that if your going to layer another coat of wax or sealent, you should wait 24 hrs for the first product to cure.
Cheers, r

Jimmie
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
The rule about diminishing returns is surely true but I can't help it. I throw a new layer on my wife's car (her car only) every other wash for about 5 washes and then strip and start anew. It's therapeutic and I swear each coat makes it look better.

makdaddy626
09-25-2007, 12:38 PM
AUSMHLY - that's not always true, many sealants recommend 12 hours, some less, and many waxes can be layered almost immediately.

Jimmie - I agree, I do the same thing but don't really think of it in the same way as just applying layer after layer within a matter of days of each other.

supercharged
09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
2 coats is alwasy better then one...three at the very most...everything else - you are just wasting product.

AUSMHLY
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
AUSMHLY - that's not always true, many sealants recommend 12 hours, some less, and many waxes can be layered almost immediately.

Jimmie - I agree, I do the same thing but don't really think of it in the same way as just applying layer after layer within a matter of days of each other.

Makdaddy - Good point. I wanted to point out a cure time may be needed. Let me re-phrase. Read the instructions on the product in question. Most products have a curing time. If not followed, then the second coat may dissove the first and your back to square one. Some products do not address this on the instructions, to wait for the product to cure before adding another coat. Does that mean it's ok to immediately layer, or curing is just not addressed?

Just as some products say no polish or cleaner in them. You think it's a pure wax as described on the lable. But it is not.

Example of a Pure Carnuba Wax. It's my understanding that a "pure" carnuba wax is not 100% pure carnuba. If it were, it would be as hard as a brick. There are additives in it. If that coat of wax is not given curing time, the additives in the carnuba would in essence dissove the previous coat and leaving a replacement coat.

The question then is, what if the product does not state on the instructions, when a second coat can be applied. Rule of thumb, wait 24 hrs.
Cheers, r

THENIZZZEIL
09-26-2007, 02:27 AM
i did 2 coats of sealant and 2 coats of souveran on an m6...i waited about an hour inbetween coats..time contraints...i definetly saw a dif in wetness...and i felt an hour is good enough, but i think if ur not detailing where time is money..then i think the longer you wait (a couple hours..not days) should be benificial

This weekend im workin on 2 cars saturday and sunday where i can kind of time everything accordingly...so if i need to come back on sunday and add a layer or 2 of souveran paste in hopes that it will be better cured then i will

ill post my pics and thoughts about timing of coats

sealants however..supposedly 12 hours is great
i have a sealant (non AG) that cures within an hour...