PDA

View Full Version : Saturated Jeep Carpet

Roman92
11-13-2015, 11:12 AM
I have two customers with Jeep Wranglers that had issues with the tops leaking. There is a musty smell from the carpet padding. I currently have the carpet out of the jeep and drying but does anyone have any tips for the musty smell in the carpet padding?

This is the padding on the bottom side of the carpet which is soaked

Mint555
11-13-2015, 11:46 AM
This is why you rip the carpet out of Wranglers and spray in a bedliner. Jeeps always leak. Best thing I did was rip out my carpet.

Maybe try steam cleaning if you have one? The musty smell is probably biological and needs to be killed. I know lots of people have success with a vinegar solution.

RFrommann
11-13-2015, 11:52 AM
All jeeps leak. When I worked at jeep I've had brand new ones with 3 miles with soaked floors.

Rip out and spray liner

Roman92
11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
If I owned these vehicles I would have already ripped out the carpet for that reason. I have a cheap steamer and an extractor. I just hit both sides of the carpet with the extractor and its drying now. If that doesn't work I'll steam it to death on both sides

Billy Baldone
11-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Maybe even try lysol to kill mold bacteris

wn1998
11-13-2015, 02:12 PM
As a former jeep wrangler owner here is what I did.

1. Take it to a Spray and wash
2. High pressure soap all of the interior carpets. You will get all the dirt out as well.
3. High pressure rinse it
4. Use the wet dry coin operated vacuum and get all the water you can out of it.
5. Let it air dry.

should only cost you about $4 and the interior carpet will be like new in 24 hours once dry.

Roman92
11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
I have a pressure washer I will use this method on if the smell is not gone when I check it this afternoon

wn1998
11-13-2015, 04:50 PM
All jeeps leak. When I worked at jeep I've had brand new ones with 3 miles with soaked floors.

Rip out and spray liner

I owned a 99 Wrangler for almost 8 years and my softop didn't leak at all. I flood a few times wheeling it but that's about it.

Also, when you remove the carpet and add a bedliner, the floorboards can get quite hot!

GSKR
11-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Bacterial enzyme cleaner,dilute 16 ounces to 1 gallon of water,mist it or soak some towels and lay it on affected area straight no dilution.the worst thing you can do is re wet it again,you will gain nothing from that just prolonging the promblem,seek a carpet supply store in your area.