PDA

View Full Version : Pad/Product Combination for Swirl Removal

eyost
11-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi all,

Well, I don't know what happened but it looks like I have introduced some swirls on my vehicle despite following good practice (two buckets, etc.).

Now I have to correct the paint but am confused on which I should try first. Should I start with a low cut pad like a white one and use a swirl removal product like what Pinnacle offers, or start with an orange pad and a paint cleanser.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Ed

Sicoupe
11-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Always start with least aggressive.

dcjredline
11-12-2015, 02:55 PM
My usual answer to this is, no one here can tell you which combo will work for 100% positive. You can get some suggestions but a test spot starting least aggressive first is the only way to know for sure.

eyost
11-12-2015, 03:00 PM
My usual answer to this is, no one here can tell you which combo will work for 100% positive. You can get some suggestions but a test spot starting least aggressive first is the only way to know for sure.

Yep - that is what I have always read and follow. Guess I should have asked, which is less aggressive - Orange Pad or swirl remover product.

Thanks all!

Mike@ShineStruck
11-12-2015, 04:47 PM
For polish combos i like 3D HD Adapt and Carpro Reflect..just added Scholls S3 Gold XXL to that lineup incase of a rare instance adapt doesnt cut it..

I pretty much just have Griot Boss yellow and orange pads.
May get some white or microfiber..
Its all about trail and error, hense the test spot

GSKR
11-12-2015, 06:32 PM
With all the nasty and severely neglected swirled out disaster extreme makeover daily driven cars ,mike p always used the pinnacle line compound and polish,sometimes blackfire.pinnacle stuff is great it's simple doesn't stick hardly any dusting,he'll you can probably get away with using orange and the compound and lsp it.not that I recommend doing it,if you have a 8 hr free Sunday I highly recommend using the pinnacle c and pinnacle polish so user friendly with beyond awesome results.just make sure you have enough pads,orange for cut not a death cut by the way,and red for the polishing.we don't know what condition your car is in you may just get away with a polish but your looking for advice pinnacle line is the way to go simple and fail proof.

dcjredline
11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Mainly the "rule of thumb" used here is go up in pad first...so ur steps would be white pad & paint cleanser first. Then follow the rule. Not sure how much if any more you'll get with an orange pad and a chemical cleaner tho.

splashboy
11-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Be aware also that the pad/polish combo that works for one area of the car may not work for a different area. I had that problem this last weekend. I was using a Lake Country orange pad with Wolfgang Swirl Removal and it worked brilliantly on the roof. It did not work on the hood; I had to use Wolfgang Uber Compound which I first used with a Lake Country white pad. That combination did not work well. I switched to using the Uber with the orange pad; that worked. Starting with the least aggressive combination is pretty much common practice. A test segment takes less than five minutes for me.

eyost
11-12-2015, 08:42 PM
With all the nasty and severely neglected swirled out disaster extreme makeover daily driven cars ,mike p always used the pinnacle line compound and polish,sometimes blackfire.pinnacle stuff is great it's simple doesn't stick hardly any dusting,he'll you can probably get away with using orange and the compound and lsp it.not that I recommend doing it,if you have a 8 hr free Sunday I highly recommend using the pinnacle c and pinnacle polish so user friendly with beyond awesome results.just make sure you have enough pads,orange for cut not a death cut by the way,and red for the polishing.we don't know what condition your car is in you may just get away with a polish but your looking for advice pinnacle line is the way to go simple and fail proof.

Very good. I just took a look at Mike's video that is attached to the product description for the Pinnacle compound and the results were very impressive in a short period of time. I don't know that much about compounds, but if I went that route, what would I have to do after applying the compound? My normal process is wash, clay, and finish off with Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Would I have to do anything after the compound or could I just apply the sealant?

Thanks,

Ed

dlc95
11-13-2015, 12:35 AM
I have a process that works for me... We all do.

I start out with my finishing polish on mu polishing pad. That doesn't work, then I'll try my finishing polish on my cutting pad. If that isn't working I will finally use my cutting polish on my cutting pad.

Usually the first combo will do something. It's the rate at which it performs thats what I'm after.

I switch between Meguiar's M100/M205, Menzerna FG400/SF4000, and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound / Ultimate Polish.

Mike@ShineStruck
11-13-2015, 12:54 AM
I have a process that works for me... We all do.

I start out with my finishing polish on mu polishing pad. That doesn't work, then I'll try my finishing polish on my cutting pad. If that isn't working I will finally use my cutting polish on my cutting pad.

Usually the first combo will do something. It's the rate at which it performs thats what I'm after.

I switch between Meguiar's M100/M205, Menzerna FG400/SF4000, and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound / Ultimate Polish.
I do the same
Sometimes I try my cutting polish on my polishing pad