PDA

View Full Version : Paint less repair & bumper dog.

Souldetailer
11-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Hey y'all,

Need a little advice on a paint repair. 2015 Kia Soul + in Inferno red. Tried the Dr. PC method and it didn't work for my situation. The problem is on the front left bumper. 4 to 5 scratches about a 1/4" wide by 1/2" long, to the plastic. Went buy my local Kia dealer an he set me all up with the proper paint and gloss. We talked a little about application, but I want your inpinion. I always turn to you guys before I make a move. Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

GSKR
11-11-2015, 04:51 PM
with the proper paint code from the dealer,it will always remain visible but at the end of the day it's a touch up.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-11-2015, 05:05 PM
GSKR is correct, you won't get it perfect. As Mike Phillips said, Dr. Colorchip isn't a body shop in a bottle, however, it should pass the 3ft view.

Can you post any pics??? Would be helpful if we can see.

Here are a few examples of small repairs I've done. The idea was to eliminate drawing your attention to the damage. Again, not perfect. The only way to get perfection is have body shop pull the bumper covers, sand, fill and repaint.

1.) Red Honda Fit took a piece of sheetmetal into the bumper cover doing 75 MPH on a MA Highway. (I93) outside Boston.
Slide Show (http://photos.looks-so-new-autodetailing.com/FullScreenSlideShow.aspx?gallery=4698021&mt=Photo)

2.) A 2008 Chevy that had severe road rash, 132K miles of Boston MA driving.
Slide Show (http://photos.looks-so-new-autodetailing.com/FullScreenSlideShow.aspx?gallery=4698024&mt=Photo)

Mike Honcho
11-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Great job on the repairs!

Souldetailer
11-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Paul, excellent job on both occasions. My problem most closely resembles the first slide show, but in a much less severe manner. Dr. Colorchip just won't hold on the plastic, I've tried several times. Next step, dealer supplied paint pen and clear coat, I think with some wet sanding and and skill, I can get her where I want.

Peace,

Darrin

LSNAutoDetailing
11-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Paul, excellent job on both occasions. My problem most closely resembles the first slide show, but in a much less severe manner. Dr. Colorchip just won't hold on the plastic, I've tried several times. Next step, dealer supplied paint pen and clear coat, I think with some wet sanding and and skill, I can get her where I want.

Peace,

Darrin

Hi Darrin,

I had the same problem, I just did multiple coats over time, but I know exactly what you mean. The paint doesn't adhere to the black (unpainted/untreated) plastic of the bumper cover.

Can you post any pics????