PDA

View Full Version : F250 Project - Checmical Guys questions

JimAlbert
11-11-2015, 11:08 AM
I am going to take on the HUGE project of detailing my 2008 Vermillion Red F250 and am considering using Checmical Guys products. The paint is in very good condition with the exception of a couple deeper scratches that I will address independently, a few swirl marks and some water spots. I have never used the Chemical Guys stuff (primarily a 3m guy in the past) and I am relatively new to detailing but I will explain what I plan to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wash
Clay
Wash
V36 - with tangerine pad
V38 - with Blue pad
JetSeal or Wolfgang deep gloss

Here is the culprit btw....
http://s16.postimg.org/r7m9629et/photo_1.jpg

Thoughts? I am not set on Checmical Guys products but would like to give them a try.

Thanks ahead of time,

Jim

Matt@Revive
11-11-2015, 11:16 AM
i have tried a handful of Chemical Guys products, and i have thrown them all away. IMO you'd be better off getting Menzerna or HD products, they actually work and are super easy to use.

JimAlbert
11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
OK.. guess that threw that idea out the window. I will look into some of the Wolfgang, menzerna, or HD stuff...

irvsmith
11-11-2015, 12:11 PM
I have like the HD speed as an all in one.

Nick McKees37
11-11-2015, 02:05 PM
i have tried a handful of Chemical Guys products, and i have thrown them all away. IMO you'd be better off getting Menzerna or HD products, they actually work and are super easy to use.

V36 and V38 are actually pretty good polishes that fly under the radar. If you haven't tried them yet, I would give them a shot.

Regarding Jet Seal or Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, you can't go wrong either way. While they both accomplish the same thing, they each feel very unique in their application. I'm partial towards the Wolfgang myself, simply because of the fact that it's dumby proof to apply and remove - absolutely no thought or effort required.

Be sure to take before and after pictures! :)

dlc95
11-11-2015, 02:11 PM
You mentioned Tangering and Blue pads. If you're using the Lake Country Hydrotech line, you'll want to use the Cyan (blue) with the heavier polish, and the Tangerine with the finishing polish.

If it's the Chemical Guys Hex Logic line, you should be fine. I often do one steps, and finish polishing with their blue foam, which I believe is made for them by Buff and Shine.

RFrommann
11-11-2015, 04:53 PM
HD speed would do wonders on that red paint!

GSKR
11-11-2015, 05:16 PM

That's funny on the side note of throwing away chemical guys stuff,but on the other hand the polishes you mentioned are great.

Ebg18t
11-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I was never impressed with Chemical Guys stuff I tried. Had good luck with the Menzerna & BlackFire products I have used.

Busy mind
11-11-2015, 11:01 PM
I liked the V36 and V38 until I tried other polishes that could do better and in one step. HD have similarly priced products and work better for scratch removal. I've been happy with Menzerna as well.
Stated from experience and not hear-say....

LaFawnduh
11-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Chemical Guys I love for certain products - detest others. Soaps are a great value, their black out aerosol spray dressing is amazing for engine bays, Diablo wheel cleaner is good stuff, and their standard glass cleaner is inexpensive and effective. Also like their fragrances / deodorizers.

Their polishes/waxes/Sealants are wonky and tricky to use. Their higher end glass cleaners are the worst products I have ever used. Haven't tried their waterless wash product or tire dressings and probably won't. I pretty much use their stuff only because they have a factory store 10 min from my house and their products smell amazing.

Favorite line for ease of use and effectiveness is Blackfire, bar none.

Ancient1
11-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Here are some pics of what I have done with v36/orange hexlogic v38/white hexlogic on wagon (not bad for a 21 year old DD that sits out here in WI) and v38/white on my brothers f150 both topped with Blacklight and two coats on jetseal. As you can see it is a combo I do like even tho I have just switched to Menzerna polish and Blackfire crystal coat for top coat.

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/Wagon%202.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/Wagon%201.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/Truck%207-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/Truck%203-1.jpg

dlc95
11-12-2015, 06:10 AM
/\ Wow! Looks good! I actually love their pad cleaner. 2oz of concentrate in a 16oz bottle, fill the rest with h2o, and you have a very potent mixture that smells really good too. Yes APC works too, but I got hooked on their cleaner.

The VSS is intriguing.

JimAlbert
11-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I actually picked just ordered a bunch of stuff and went with the following:

32oz HD Adapt
32oz HD Speed
Chemical Guys OG Clay Bar
6 LC Tangerine HydroTech Pads
6 LC Crimson HydroTech Pads
5" LC Backing Plate
16oz Poorboys World Clay Lube
16oz Chemical Guys Silk Shine

I will post before and after pics as I get this thing done. I will most likely end up doing this in "Panels" as I have so much stuff going on that I cant dedicate a whole day to do it all at one shot. Im going to start with the roof and progressively get lower.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I appreciate it.

Jim