PDA

View Full Version : Need some help....which polisher?

Pages : [1] 2

my01ws6
11-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Im really torn between the Flex 3401, Rupes 21 or Griots 21. Right now all I have is a Porter Cable 7424 and it just takes way to long to polish cars out. Now that we are starting to get more business I need something that is faster and more efficient.

I really don't want to go the rotary route because of the risk. Id much rather get a DA.

Which do you guys think works the fastest of those 3? Or is there something that might be better? and I cant wait for any of the new stuff coming out I need this asap. How much faster will any of these be compared to the PC7424?

Thanks!

DetailDrivenEugene
11-11-2015, 12:22 PM
I only have experience with the flex 3401, but I can tell you it is my go to polisher after using a rotary for over 15 years. I still use the rotary for paint that is really trashed or extremely hard, but still finish with the flex on those as well. It is an amazing tool.

spiralout462
11-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Well yours is the most asked question lately. There are literally hundreds of threads like yours. That being said, I will be buying the Flex 3401 or the new equivalent machine when I replace my PC7424xp.

Zubair
11-11-2015, 01:14 PM
First decide/identity between which of the two DA technologies is best suited to your skill or technique, long throw or forced rotation.

my01ws6
11-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Ive never used either one so Im not sure.

dlc95
11-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Which do you guys think works the fastest of those 3?

Pad and product make a big difference in machine performance.

I consistently get more work done with my PC and a green hex/b&s pad than my 3401 with a heavy cut pad, and same buffing liquid - on swirls/scratches.

Heavy oxidation, I prefer the Flex 3401.

Zubair
11-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Ive never used either one so Im not sure.

Long throw smoother
Forced rotation faster

VISITOR
11-11-2015, 03:12 PM
since you already have a PC, then it's time for...
Griots Garage BOSS Long Throw Orbital Polisher System (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-boss-long-throw-orbital-polisher-system.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-g21-long-throw-orbital-polisher-1.gif

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A[/video]

my01ws6
11-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Sooo many different answers now Im really confused!

VISITOR
11-11-2015, 03:49 PM

excellent customer service + lifetime warranty = G15/21 :dblthumb2:

irvsmith
11-11-2015, 04:05 PM

We need to reduce the variables to narrow down the choices. From my experience I can only speak to the griots garage 6" but if you do this professionally then you have mentioned the top three contenders in the 21" arena.

I think if you are being more conservative I would say the GG BOSS system if good way to go with the lifetime warranty.

craigdt
11-11-2015, 04:32 PM
excellent customer service + lifetime warranty = G15/21 :dblthumb2:

This is definitely the direction I am leaning- to me it's the most exciting of the new machines.

Raz5219
11-11-2015, 04:32 PM
After taking a survey of who I think are the top three professional detailers in my area (LI,NY) , I found that while all have the Flex 3401 on hand they all gravitate towards the Rupes LHR15ES or LHR21ES with 5" backing plates. I currently use a Griots GG6 but the LHR21ES MarkII is on my Christmas list for what it's worth.

cardaddy
11-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Well... I own Griot, Rupes and Flex machines and each has there strength.

Rupes is coming out with their MkII versions of their long throw machines (taking preorders now) to address the pad (backing plate) stalling issues that so many have had problems with.

Not that the machines stall with every owner, on every vehicle. But they do at times, especially so with curved panels, and even worse so with concave curves. Actually even the 12mm throw Duetto will stall, just not as bad as the larger throw machines.

Basically, the larger the throw, the greater the chance of stalling. Again... doesn't mean it will 100% of the time, but with a 21mm throw you can bet you'll see it happen.

Were I to look at the new Griot BOSS machines, I'd go for the 15 as I just don't need the extra throw of the 21mm machine. That machine is said not to stall like the Rupes. ;)

And if that isn't confusing enough... you also have the new Flex 15mm long throw machine coming next Spring. :D That and a lighter version of the 3401.

But let's get back to your original question.

Would you like the current Flex 3401, AND will it do a great job for you OR would you like the current Rupes 15 or 21?

For all out smoothness (with the above caveats included)... the Rupes 15.

For the ability to correct anything, at any angle, any shape, compound or convex curves..... AND with an available interchangeable backing plate system allowing you to run from 5" to 6½" pads the Flex wins hands down. :dblthumb2:

For something with a lifetime warranty, and (at least for me) turns on every time I pick it up... you can't beat any Griot machine. The GG6 is a great buffer, and has corrected tens of thousands of vehicles of all sizes to perfection. It also has the ability to run small pads to large pads with a simple twist of a wrench. I suspect the BOSS 15 would be my choice over the Rupes truth be told. Although I suspect the new Flex long throw to win out come next year (because I really don't need another one now). ;)

dlc95
11-11-2015, 11:00 PM
After taking a survey of who I think are the top three professional detailers in my area (LI,NY) , I found that while all have the Flex 3401 on hand they all gravitate towards the Rupes LHR15ES or LHR21ES with 5" backing plates. I currently use a Griots GG6 but the LHR21ES MarkII is on my Christmas list for what it's worth.

I'm often putting down the 3401 for the PC or Duetto...