PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mechanical advantage to applying wax or sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Honcho
11-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I think I'm going to use my PC DA to apply WGDPS 3.0 and Fuzion. I know by using a polisher you get more even application of the wax and sealant not to mention it lays down a thin even coat. Are there any other advantages to using a polisher for applying the sealant and wax? Does the higher speed and additional weight of the machine add anything? Or am I over-thinking this? Thanks.

KS_Detailing
11-10-2015, 08:49 PM
It does spread out the wax nicely and faster than hand

custmsprty
11-10-2015, 08:52 PM
It's much faster and saves product. I use my Rupes Mini on speed 2 to apply all my LSP's.

Before I sold my PC I used an LC 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads.

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 08:55 PM
That is the only way I apply sealant and wax. I put my PC7424XP on Speed setting 3 and I do not use pressure. I use the weight of the machine to spread the sealant and wax. The smaller areas that I cannot reach with a DA is simple. I will take off the Pad and use that as an applicator and then put it back on and you are good to go. IMO the sealant or wax (in my case both) it spreads very thin, more uniform and covers more area.

I will use a Lake Country Red Pad for sealant and then a Gold Pad for Wax. I have attached a photo of what it pretty much will look like when you use a DA. You can see the difference as opposed to by hand.

IMO it is also alot more fun! I believe once you try it and you become used to applying sealant/wax by machine you will not do it by hand again.

Here is the photo of a machine wax.

Mike Honcho
11-10-2015, 09:00 PM
WOW!!! Great pic!!!

Mike Honcho
11-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Any tips on applying WGDPS and the Fuzion?

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Any tips on applying WGDPS and the Fuzion?

If it is a liquid product it is real easy. Just spread on the Pad. If it is a paste wax you can usually flip the tub onto the pad and the weight of the wax should pop out. DO NOT completely lift the pot out. You can then blip the throttle and it will get wax on the pad and you are ready to go.

If the paste wax will not come out (some waxes do not move out) I usually use a 3" Pad (Red as I have not found a Gold 3" LC Pad) and blip the throttle (trigger) on top of the wax. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. A 3" Pad fits perfectly on most paste wax jars. With Fuzion you can use a 4" Pad as it has a bigger opening as the jar is larger (I have Fuzion too) it is a larger jar than the standard wax jars.

custmsprty
11-10-2015, 09:24 PM
I use a small putty knife to butter my pad when using Fuzion or any other Nuba in my collection, a little goes a long way. Nothing special with the sealants, just a few drops and after a few applications the pad becomes saturated with sealant so less is needed. I literally use an ounce at the most of sealant for an average sized vehicle.

heckhole
11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Less product is used, no high spots, gloss always 'appears' deeper, less chance for marring. The less time a microfiber spends on your paint = the better.

I haven't hand applied wax in 11 years. I helped the guys at my shop for about 30 seconds before I dropped a few F bombs and walked away. Lol

Mike Honcho
11-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Less product is used, no high spots, gloss always 'appears' deeper, less chance for marring. The less time a microfiber spends on your paint = the better.

I haven't hand applied wax in 11 years. I helped the guys at my shop for about 30 seconds before I dropped a few F bombs and walked away. Lol

LMAO!! I can imagine only imagine how frustrated you were but it had me laughing!

Mike Honcho
11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Kamakaz1961;1314140I will use a Lake Country Red Pad for sealant and then a Gold Pad for Wax[/QUOTE]

Do you wash your pads out or do you have dedicated pads for each wax and sealant? (I know trying to clean pads used for waxes and sealants can be a bear to clean.)

ski2
11-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Do you wash your pads out or do you have dedicated pads for each wax and sealant? (I know trying to clean pads used for waxes and sealants can be a bear to clean.)

My pads for LSPs are dedicated, but I do clean them out after each use. I soak them in Dawn for a few hours then use Awesome Orange Degreaser from the $ Store. Even works on FK1000p.

Mike Honcho
11-11-2015, 02:02 PM
That's good to know, thanks!

Paul A.
11-11-2015, 02:23 PM
I do the same thing i.e. dedicated LC flat gold pads for LSP's and product specific. I also wash them out after every use. I toss them in a bucket of water and Dawn mix to soak and wash, then rinse. Sometimes a spray or 2 of APC. Rinse them out COMPLETELY and then let dry fully before they go back in their ziplock bags.

With regard to machine application of LSP's, i always use my PC. I like the nice, even coverage and the time savings.